PDA

View Full Version : How many people can listen to a radio station's stream?

buffettck
2012-02-08, 11:03
Is it until the station's bandwidth is used up or something? I have one local station that always seems "slammed" in the afternoon. Most of the time I'll get some sort of "Host Server Full" type error message. I just keep hitting the button and, eventually, I get the stream. If I switch off to another station and try to go back, same thing and I have to try again. Not a big deal really, but I found it interesting that it *appears* to have a limit as to how many people can listen at once and I can receive it when someone else drops off that station's stream. This is the only station I've found that does this.

garym
2012-02-08, 11:07
Is it until the station's bandwidth is used up or something? I have one local station that always seems "slammed" in the afternoon. Most of the time I'll get some sort of "Host Server Full" type error message. I just keep hitting the button and, eventually, I get the stream. If I switch off to another station and try to go back, same thing and I have to try again. Not a big deal really, but I found it interesting that it *appears* to have a limit as to how many people can listen at once and I can receive it when someone else drops off that station's stream. This is the only station I've found that does this.

this sometimes happens to me with the 192kbs mp3 stream from Radio Paradise (too many listeners, so I can't connect).

buffettck
2012-02-08, 11:11
this sometimes happens to me with the 192kbs mp3 stream from Radio Paradise (too many listeners, so I can't connect).

Interesting... So, it's not just an isolated thing with my radio station. I guess this could occur with any station, if they had enough people connected. The variable regarding the total number of listeners being how big of a data pipe the station is willing to pay for...

garym
2012-02-08, 11:12
Interesting... So, it's not just an isolated thing with my radio station. I guess this could occur with any station, if they had enough people connected. The variable regarding the total number of listeners being how big of a data pipe the station is willing to pay for...

and since radioparadise is a small (but high quality) operation, I suspect their pipelines are much smaller than say, WABC in NYC.

aubuti
2012-02-08, 12:02
The variable regarding the total number of listeners being how big of a data pipe the station is willing to pay for...
In addition to the number of listeners it's also the number of bits being sent to each listener. For example, my local NPR station streams at 32kbps and 64kbps, and that's fine for news and talk. That's also why RP appears to have a tighter limit on there 192kbps stream (which is sometimes maxed out) than they do on their 128kbps stream, which always seems to be available.

buffettck
2012-02-08, 12:02
Yeah, this is some little podunk AM station in Arizona. I'm just glad they actually have internet streaming.

toby10
2012-02-09, 03:44
Every station has a limit of number of users logged in and bandwidth being used. If you try the ShoutCast App it will display both the number of current logins (listeners) and the max number of logins allowed by that station.

buffettck
2012-02-09, 09:01
If you try the ShoutCast App it will display both the number of current logins (listeners) and the max number of logins allowed by that station.

Eh, sounds neat, but it looks like more trouble that it's worth. Doesn't seem to work anymore and everything can change on a whim.

Found this below:

"ShoutCast has been completely removed from SqueezeBox content. Logitech is working on it but has no ETA for a fix.

I suspect it will not be fixed for a while.

Here is how you can still listen to ShoutCast content:

Go to ShoutCast.com, search for your station, click Play. This should launch your media server program designated to play that type of stream and it will begin to play that stream. WMP, WinAmp, iTunes, etc... I use WinAmp. Now double click the stream name (or whatever you need to do to reveal the stream details including the URL), now cut/copy that URL.

Now go to the web UI of either SBS or MySB.com, whichever you use, go to Internet Radio > Tune in URL > *paste the URL* > play

Once playing you can add to your Favorites. But keep in mind ShoutCast often changes it's station URL's so your station may play for 12 hours or 12 months, then it will just not play because ShoutCast has arbitrary decided to do it's URL shuffle game. Then you will have to do the cut & paste routine all over again."

Mnyb
2012-02-09, 09:45
Wot I'm using the shoutcast app rigth now ? It is not removed for me ?

Now would be 2012 February 9 17:44 cet+1

garym
2012-02-09, 09:47
Wot I'm using the shoutcast app rigth now ? It is not removed for me ?

Now would be 2012 February 9 17:44 cet+1

hmmmm, i just tried and working for me too. I am using it via LMS rather than being connected only to mysb.com.

Mnyb
2012-02-09, 09:48
And now I'm logged into mysb.com where the shout cast app is alive and well ?

toby10
2012-02-09, 14:26
He's posting about very old issues with ShoutCast, it works fine.

buffett,
You won't find your station on ShoutCast, they have very little in AM/FM rebroadcasts (thank god), that's not what ShoutCast is about.
I only mentioned ShoutCast as an example of where they provide additional information most stations do not provide per the discussion of how stations have limits on the number of logins.
ShoutCast provides the number of logins currently on that station and max number of allowed logins.

Just install the ShoutCast app, play around with it, couldn't be simpler to operate and navigate it. There is a whole world of internet only stations out there (ShoutCast currently boasts 52,000 streams).
Have a play at it.

Helpful hint: Use the ShoutCast bitrate filter within the App to filter out the low bitrate (poor audio quality) streams. They have TONS of very good sounding streams at 192k or better, and many are commercial free. :)

buffettck
2012-02-09, 14:37
Nah, it's not really that big of a deal. I was just wondering about my local AM station "filling up" via streaming.