PDA

View Full Version : Block settings to kids - Parental control

Iggurk
2012-01-24, 14:35
Hi,

Installed a SB Radio in kids room few months ago, and I'm really tired to regularly have to review the settings (Alarm, network,...) of their SB.

I'm amazed not being able to find an easy way to block settings access from the SB.

A parental control is seriously missing, not only to block access to certain menus, but also to block some radio channel.

Hope being able to find some help here on how to solve such a basic requirement.

BR

garym
2012-01-24, 16:42
don't know, but would the plugin "kidsplay" help you here. go to LMS > Settings > plugins. make sure you "check the box" next to show all 3rd party plugins. This is assuming you are using local LMS and not mysqueezebox.com.

aubuti
2012-01-24, 16:59
I don't think KidsPlay will help. KidsPlay provides a means for reprogramming the six preset buttons, but I'm fairly certain there isn't anything for preventing changing the other settings that the Radio has on its menus.

I think the only parental control available is the old fashioned POS (parent over shoulder) variety. It may be possible to block some internet traffic using conventional blocking controls at the router or firewall.

I also think it's interesting how expectations differ. I would never consider parental controls to be a "basic requirement" for a network music player, but obviously some do.

castalla
2012-01-24, 17:07
How about adopting the 'You break it, you own it' approach? If the kids mess it up, let them fix it. Stop pandering to their fiddling!

chill
2012-01-24, 17:47
How about adopting the 'You break it, you own it' approach? If the kids mess it up, let them fix it. Stop pandering to their fiddling!

Good idea. With this approach it won't be long before they can work it better than you. Watch out though - once they get the hang of it, and perhaps discover this forum, you may find them implementing parental controls on YOUR radio.

gruntwolla
2012-01-25, 13:50
Good idea. With this approach it won't be long before they can work it better than you. Watch out though - once they get the hang of it, and perhaps discover this forum, you may find them implementing parental controls on YOUR radio.

lol. My 9 year old has realised he can control all my squeezeboxes from the radio in his bedroom. As his musical tastes range from 50 cent to Alvin and the chipmunks, we have had some "interesting" musical interruptions to our lives!

Seriously though, it's just good fun. He knows right from wrong, and I see no need for parental controls on a network music player.

Iggurk
2012-01-26, 10:18
Hi all,

Thanks all for your reply.

At the end I see no real solution.

I would like to have parental control especially to avoids kids to play with settings.
I've tried the approach you proposed (you break it you fix it), but at the end I've to solve the issue, and after ten time I'm tired. ;-)

Could also be interesting to :
- Be able to block certain radios (inappropriate content/language)
- Be able to block access to certain tracks/directories (seems feasible but still complex).
- Being able to limit radio usage depending defined time range

BR

aubuti
2012-01-26, 10:34
Just my two cents worth...

If you've tried "you break it you fix it" ten times already and they still don't get the message then it seems to me that they are not yet capable of dealing with something like an SB Radio (or they have a peculiar sense of "fun"). Try replacing it with a standard AM/FM radio until they are ready for an SB.

On your others:
- for blocking access to certain tracks in your own music library, see Erland's Multi-Library plugin

- for limiting certain radio stations or setting time ranges, you may be able to do something with your router. It all depends on your router model, or more precisely, the firmware installed. Some have facilities for setting time ranges and restricting addresses. For example, the Tomato firmware on my Linksys WRT54GL router can set restrictions for specific devices on the network based on time, web site, etc. See http://r3dux.org/2009/12/how-to-block-access-to-specific-websites-from-your-router-using-tomato-firmware/