PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for setting up Squeezebox Touch with WHS2011 & iTunes

Finchy
2012-01-19, 14:08
Hi all

I've just bought a Squeezebox Touch. I have all my music in iTunes, a lot of it is rated and I have loads of smart playlists that are set to pick songs based on ratings, genres and when last played, so they auto-update with a new track each time one is played. I also have an Ipad, which I want to use as the main controller.

I have seen that there are a number of plug-ins to sync with iTunes, but I can't work out which I need to use and how to use them. What I am hoping I can do is to be able to;

1 - Have Logitech Media Server monitor my iTunes music folders and let me access the music from the Touch.
2 - Have playcounts from the Touch synced back to iTunes (so it updates the smart playlists).
3 - Access iTunes playlists - is it able to do this? Does iTunes need to be running if so?
4 - If possible I'd like to be able to rate songs in the Touch using the Ipad and have the ratings transferred back to iTunes. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it and what does it do with music that's not in the iTunes database?
5 - A question about iTunes - where does it store the ratings and playcount data? In one of the DB files? Do I actually need iTunes installed on that PC or can I just have the .itl, .xml, etc files on it?
6 - What is the best Ipad app for controlling the Touch? I've seen mention of iPeng and SqueezePad but there aren't any trial versions and I don't knwo what they do or what one does that the other doesn't.
7 - If there is no way of having it autoupdate the playlists, is there a third party application that can do it?

Can anyone give me straight forward (ie dummies guide!) advice as to what I need and instructions on how to do it please?

I'm running LMS on Windows Home Server 2011 and have iTunes installed on that as well.

Thanks in advance! The Touch looks like an awesome device but I need to get it working properly so I can use it!

Finchy
2012-01-23, 00:53
Anyone....?! :(

Soulkeeper
2012-01-23, 04:45
I don't use iThings so I don't have much to bring to the table, but have you checked the wiki (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_To_iTunes)?

garym
2012-01-23, 05:13
before delving into ratings, etc., can you tell us whether the basics are working. I assume you've installed LMS, and are probably using itunes integration (although not required for basics). With the basics, do you see all your music, do you see all your playlists, does everything work as expected in terms of playing music to your Touch, etc. Once this is all setup, I suspect that several of erland's plugins (trackstat, etc.) may help you achieve your specific goals.

Finchy
2012-01-23, 11:57
Thanks garym.

OK, so I have iTunes installed, iTunes ticked LMS and it's scanned and picked all the music. It hasn't picked up my playlists from itunes though. I hadn't realised it should do that automatically. I can browse and play albums, songs, etc on the Touch (and on the Logitech Squeezebox app on the Ipad). Any ideas why it's not picking up the playlists?

Soulkeeper, thanks for pointing to that Wiki. It's helpful, although a few of the links for Windows user are dead unfortunately.

Finchy
2012-02-08, 13:07
OK, so to update, I can now see the iTunes playlists in the Squeezebox Touch, but it's not updating back with playcounts. How do I get it to do that?

Thanks

garym
2012-02-08, 13:33
OK, so to update, I can now see the iTunes playlists in the Squeezebox Touch, but it's not updating back with playcounts. How do I get it to do that?

Thanks

I believe that erland's TrackStat plugin will do this for you. Description says that it will export back to itunes.

Finchy
2012-02-09, 06:33
I do have that installed (and the trial license activated) but it's not feeding any data back to the iTunes database. Can anyone assist me in getting it working please?

garym
2012-02-09, 06:36
I do have that installed (and the trial license activated) but it's not feeding any data back to the iTunes database. Can anyone assist me in getting it working please?

sorry, I don't use itunes integration or track stat so can't help. You might want to create a new thread on "How to setup Trackstat with itunes" so that others might chime in. The current thread title wouldn't imply you need any help with that....

Finchy
2012-02-09, 06:39
Good idea.....! Thanks