PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Process :- transcoder_proxy.pl



Neil Hastie
2004-10-19, 13:29
Hi All,

New Squeezebox owner here. (What a superb product!)

I have been spending some time trying to minimise the power consumption
of my linux server and have noticed something strange.

If I have been listening to AlienBBC and then put my squeezebox
into standby I find that the transcoder_proxy.pl process remains active.
In fact it seems to remain active even after I have killed the
slimserver process.

Is this normal behavior ?

On my system running the transcoder_proxy.pl process leads to a 10C increase
in idle temperature. I have no idea why - it seems to consume very little
CPU.
I would like to find some way of reducing this other than running upstairs
and
typing "kill" after every program.

Thanks

Neil

(AlienBBC 0.10, Slimserver 5.3.1)

Jules Taplin
2004-10-19, 15:23
Hi Neil.

transcoder_proxy is part of the AlienBBC distribution - it's a small server
process that listens for requests for streams, and provides them back to
slimserver in the correct format.

It should be spawned when you first enter the AlienBBC plugin, and will
remain persistent thereafter. This is deliberate, in that it allows the
proxy to serve connections even when you're not running the plugin, which
means that you can save playlists containing AlienBBC streams, etc.

It shouldn't consume much runtime if it's idle, though. One of the other
list readers, however, is trying to run AlienBBC and Slimserver on a Pentium
class machine, and that's much twitchier. I've been discussing some
suggestions with him to make it even more lightweight when it's idle, and I
might get around to implementing them. However... my current viewpoint to
date has been that it's acceptably lightweight, and therefore not a high
priority.

Equally - the plugin checks for a proxy answering queries before spawning
another one, so you shouldn't ever have more than one of them.

I haven't a clue how the transcoder could account for that much variation in
CPU temperature, however... It does wake up many times a second... but only
very briefly, and then falls asleep again. Which is why (as you say) it
doesn't consume a lot of CPU.

What are you running slimserver on? And what's it's normal ambient
temperature? I can't say I've ever been asked to optimise for thermal
efficiency before - you should see the amount of heat my server room kicks
out ;)


-- Jules




----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Hastie" <nhastie (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:29 PM
Subject: [slim] Persistent Process :- transcoder_proxy.pl


> Hi All,
>
> New Squeezebox owner here. (What a superb product!)
>
> I have been spending some time trying to minimise the power consumption
> of my linux server and have noticed something strange.
>
> If I have been listening to AlienBBC and then put my squeezebox
> into standby I find that the transcoder_proxy.pl process remains active.
> In fact it seems to remain active even after I have killed the
> slimserver process.
>
> Is this normal behavior ?
>
> On my system running the transcoder_proxy.pl process leads to a 10C
> increase
> in idle temperature. I have no idea why - it seems to consume very little
> CPU.
> I would like to find some way of reducing this other than running upstairs
> and
> typing "kill" after every program.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
>
> (AlienBBC 0.10, Slimserver 5.3.1)
>
>
>