PDA

View Full Version : Album Art & External Cue Sheets



Stephen Sweeney
2004-10-19, 07:35
Does SlimServer support album art when using external cue sheets?

I place a file named cover.jpg or album.jpg in the album directory with
a .flac and .cue. No cover art shows in either the browse artwork or when
viewing the album. Note, though that the .flac has no album or artist tags.
All the tags are in the cue sheet.

Actually, now I notice that browse artwork shows no art at all. Even though I
see art in some of the files (embedded, though, in the .mp3). Does browse
artwork only work with art stored externally?

Stephen Sweeney
2004-10-19, 07:48
Stephen Sweeney <ssweeney@...> writes:

>
> Does SlimServer support album art when using external cue sheets?
>
> I place a file named cover.jpg or album.jpg in the album directory with
> a .flac and .cue. No cover art shows in either the browse artwork or when
> viewing the album. Note, though that the .flac has no album or artist
tags.
> All the tags are in the cue sheet.

My bad, this must have been a cache issue because now they are displaying just
fine.
>
> Actually, now I notice that browse artwork shows no art at all. Even though
I
> see art in some of the files (embedded, though, in the .mp3). Does browse
> artwork only work with art stored externally?
>
This is the real issue. I don't see any artwork when browsing artwork. I do
see both embedded art and external art when browsing albums. I verified
that "Look for Artwork" is specified in the Server Settings.

kdf
2004-10-19, 10:47
Quoting Stephen Sweeney <ssweeney (AT) houston (DOT) rr.com>:

> Stephen Sweeney <ssweeney@...> writes:
>
> >
> > Does SlimServer support album art when using external cue sheets?
> >
> > I place a file named cover.jpg or album.jpg in the album directory with
> > a .flac and .cue. No cover art shows in either the browse artwork or when
> > viewing the album. Note, though that the .flac has no album or artist
> tags.
> > All the tags are in the cue sheet.
>
> My bad, this must have been a cache issue because now they are displaying
> just
> fine.
> >
> > Actually, now I notice that browse artwork shows no art at all. Even
> though
> I
> > see art in some of the files (embedded, though, in the .mp3). Does browse
> > artwork only work with art stored externally?
> >
> This is the real issue. I don't see any artwork when browsing artwork. I do
> see both embedded art and external art when browsing albums. I verified
> that "Look for Artwork" is specified in the Server Settings.

artwork follows the rules laid out in the help section, under technicl
information. the artwork scan depends on knowing the album title. When using
iTunes or MoodLogic, this is provided by those interfaces. When using only the
music folder scan, this comes from the ID3 tag reading. The CUE sheet provides
artist, album, etc but does not provide this information to the routines that
look for artwork. This means, without an ID3 tag for album title, there is
nothing to link the artwork to.

-kdf

Stephen Sweeney
2004-10-19, 12:31
kdf <slim-mail@...> writes:
>
> When using only the
> music folder scan, this comes from the ID3 tag reading. The CUE sheet
provides
> artist, album, etc but does not provide this information to the routines that
> look for artwork. This means, without an ID3 tag for album title, there is
> nothing to link the artwork to.
>
So it is performing as designed, which is nice.

This sounds like a limitation that could / should be overcome. The cue sheet
does contain the necessary information - album name. And SlimServer does
support cue sheets.

I'd take your suggestion of adding the album tag into the vorbis comments of
the flac file BUT the problem is that if do so, then the entire album shows up
in the library . . . redundant to the individual file listings provided by the
cue sheet. Not pretty.

I suppose there are two possible solutions:

1. Change slimserver so that the album is not cataloged redundant to the cue
file.
2. Change slimserver so that album art can be derived from cue sheets.

Perhaps both?

kdf
2004-10-19, 12:36
Quoting Stephen Sweeney <ssweeney (AT) houston (DOT) rr.com>:

> kdf <slim-mail@...> writes:
> >
> > When using only the
> > music folder scan, this comes from the ID3 tag reading. The CUE sheet
> provides
> > artist, album, etc but does not provide this information to the routines
> that
> > look for artwork. This means, without an ID3 tag for album title, there is
> > nothing to link the artwork to.
> >
> So it is performing as designed, which is nice.
>
> This sounds like a limitation that could / should be overcome. The cue sheet
> does contain the necessary information - album name. And SlimServer does
> support cue sheets.
>
> I'd take your suggestion of adding the album tag into the vorbis comments of
> the flac file BUT the problem is that if do so, then the entire album shows
> up
> in the library . . . redundant to the individual file listings provided by
> the
> cue sheet. Not pretty.
>
> I suppose there are two possible solutions:
>
> 1. Change slimserver so that the album is not cataloged redundant to the cue
> file.
> 2. Change slimserver so that album art can be derived from cue sheets.
>
> Perhaps both?
OR...keep album art as jpg files instead of embedding as ID3 tag when you arent
suing ID3 tags :)

regardless, when the SQL database is in place, it will provide an opening or
plenty of methods of grabbing artowrk and applying to the dB.
-kdf

Stephen Sweeney
2004-10-19, 14:35
> OR...keep album art as jpg files instead of embedding as ID3 tag when you
arent
> suing ID3 tags :)

Sorry - let me be more clear about the problem.

Not talking about browsing by Music Folder. Not a concern.

Album art is being stored as .jpg files. And cue sheets are being used -
fully tagged with Album and Artist. And flac files are being used - with no
vorbis tags.

Album art is displayed when browsing the Artist or Album. What I don't see is
album art when browising Album Art. And I recall seeing art there before. So
it leads me to believe that this is a cache issue. Seems like a sporadic
problem.

For my mp3s with ID3 tags and embedded album art, I do see album art when
browsing by Artist and Album. But I never seen album art for these files when
browsing Album Art. It would seem that this should work, right? Thanks for
pointing the technical info section btw.

>
> regardless, when the SQL database is in place, it will provide an opening or
> plenty of methods of grabbing artowrk and applying to the dB.
> -kdf
>

This is a great solution, btw. Love it. Thanks!

kdf
2004-10-19, 15:00
Quoting Stephen Sweeney <ssweeney (AT) houston (DOT) rr.com>:

> > OR...keep album art as jpg files instead of embedding as ID3 tag when you
> arent
> > suing ID3 tags :)
>
> Sorry - let me be more clear about the problem.
>
> Not talking about browsing by Music Folder. Not a concern.
neither was I, really. I'm ONLY talking about browse by artwork. I was talking
about scanning. There are three types currently, iTunes, MoodLogic and Folder
scan. iTunes scans teh iTunes XML file and parses information. MoodLogic
queries the ML database and the ML COM object for information. The Folder scan
recurses through the directory tree from the audiodir, grabbing information
from CUE sheets and Tags along the way.

>
> Album art is being stored as .jpg files. And cue sheets are being used -
> fully tagged with Album and Artist. And flac files are being used - with no
> vorbis tags.
>
> Album art is displayed when browsing the Artist or Album. What I don't see
> is
> album art when browising Album Art. And I recall seeing art there before.
> So
> it leads me to believe that this is a cache issue. Seems like a sporadic
> problem.
>
> For my mp3s with ID3 tags and embedded album art, I do see album art when
> browsing by Artist and Album. But I never seen album art for these files
> when
> browsing Album Art. It would seem that this should work, right? Thanks for
> pointing the technical info section btw.

browse by artwork is created during the music scan, and cached. artwork shown
while browsing album or artist is found on the fly. If you use both cove.jpg
and thumb.jpg, for example, you would see thumb.jpg in the brwose by artwork
and cover.jpg in teh browse by artist/album.

The reason you are not seeing the tags for the CUE files is becuase the parsing
of the CUE is done as a discrete process and doesn't seem to have tied back in
to call for artwork. The parsing seems to read the CUE file, then read the
Tags (whre artwork would be lost since there is no album tag), then the song
cache is updated with the CUE information in order to override anything read
from tags. However, by this point the artwork has already been lost since
there was no album title to link to. I'm not really very familiar with the
parsing code, but it should probably call readCoverArt from there to make sure
the artwork cache includes information from the CUE sheets.

-kdf