PDA

View Full Version : anything new from CES

bobm
2012-01-12, 08:08
Is there anything new from Logitech concering the squeezebox line at CES 2012? I could not find anything. I also see that the radio and Boom are gone from thier web site. Perhaps that happenened a while ago?

Thanks Bob

maggior
2012-01-12, 09:20
The only things I saw from Logitech as CES were a funky rectangular mouse, a keyboard, and some sort of iPod/iPad speaker system.

Nothing regarding the squeezebox. I was hoping for something, but I have to say I'm not really surprised.

I know the Boom has been discontinued, but I wasn't aware that the Radio was too. If that's true, that's not a good sign. Maybe it's a glitch that it's not on the website at the moment.

aubuti
2012-01-12, 09:21
What country are you in? The Radio is certainly still on their US site, as well as the European sites that I checked.

There's nothing new for SBs at CES this year. They do have some Bluetooth-based music players for smartphones and tablets, which they already announced in late 2011 (for example, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-ipad/devices/8481).

garym
2012-01-12, 09:22
What country are you in? The Radio is certainly still on their US site, as well as the European sites that I checked.

There's nothing new for SBs at CES this year. They do have some Bluetooth-based music players for smartphones and tablets, which they already announced in late 2011 (for example, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-ipad/devices/8481).

the website is confusing by the way. You see the players on the screen as things you can purchase but it is hard to tell that you can scroll to the right to see additional players for purchase. I often make the mistake of forgetting to scroll. (The website is terrible in this way....hard to believe they can't do a better job with it for the benefit of customers visiting the site)

bobm
2012-01-12, 10:05
Sorry was looking at the wrong country.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems

Juggler
2012-01-13, 07:23
Sad that there wasn't anything new. With the product line diminished to two devices, I'm starting to wonder (like many on this forum) if Logitech will be continuing to develop and deploy the Squeezebox line-up. I had hoped to expand my home network, but at this point am unwilling to invest further without some sign of new developments.

aubuti
2012-01-13, 08:34
I would be very surprised if Logitech ever comes out with any new SB models. They may eventually catch on to the Airplay trend, or whatever the successor to Airplay will be. Maybe they'll sell off the line, or maybe they'll just let it die. That said, if you mostly use SBs for playing your own library and/or internet radio, what would you lose if SBs were completely abandoned tomorrow? What new developments do you need to "invest further"?

The story is a bit different for those who depend on mysqueezebox.com, either as an alternative to running a local LMS or as the background intermediary that makes subscription services like Rhapsody work. In those cases the usefulness of SBs would be diminished or even obliterated if SBs were orphaned.

erland
2012-01-13, 10:51
I would be very surprised if Logitech ever comes out with any new SB models. They may eventually catch on to the Airplay trend, or whatever the successor to Airplay will be. Maybe they'll sell off the line, or maybe they'll just let it die.

Considering that they have managed to get rid of most people that had knowledge in the product I'm extremely skeptical if anyone would be willing to acquire the product line, feels like they either have to start investing in it themselves or continue to let it die slowly.

It would surprise me if Logitech released a high end model, but it wouldn't surprise me if they released some new model in similar or lower price range than the Radio.

That said, if you mostly use SBs for playing your own library and/or internet radio, what would you lose if SBs were completely abandoned tomorrow? What new developments do you need to "invest further"?

Is there anything else out there that have a brighter future except for AirPlay devices and Sonos ? If not, what's the alternative ?

There are some new hardware announced now and then from other vendors, but there are a lot of Squeezebox users and I believe most are quite happy with the devices, so except for Airplay devices and Sonos I don't really see any other strong competitor.

The story is a bit different for those who depend on mysqueezebox.com, either as an alternative to running a local LMS or as the background intermediary that makes subscription services like Rhapsody work. In those cases the usefulness of SBs would be diminished or even obliterated if SBs were orphaned.

It would probably be possible to develop a third party Rhapsody plugin if necessary, it's just that it doesn't make much sense to do it as long as Logitech keeps providing it. However, if Logitech would shutdown mysqueezebox.com, it wouldn't surprise me if some third party plugins for SBS/LMS would released for the most important services which is provided through mysqueezebox.com.

garym
2012-01-13, 10:54
if Logitech would shutdown mysqueezebox.com, it wouldn't surprise me if some third party plugins for SBS/LMS would released for the most important services which is provided through mysqueezebox.com.

then I'd be perfectly happy with my SB stuff, including the extra TOUCH units I have for future backup (purchased when on sale cheap)

Mnyb
2012-01-13, 11:02
then I'd be perfectly happy with my SB stuff, including the extra TOUCH units I have for future backup (purchased when on sale cheap)

Dito I have one Touch one SB3 and one duet as backup.

besides as slimproto is known it would be possible to set up a third party mysb.com like service ?
any one could take over and charge a fee or similar ?
However most service providers have deal with logitech so it would be some effort to rebuild a similar service level :-/ but tunein and shoutcast and some other migth not be completely impossible.

or could it be distrubuted among all LMS users in some torrentlike/cloud fashion where every one online also support all small portion of other users without server ?

erland
2012-01-13, 11:34
besides as slimproto is known it would be possible to set up a third party mysb.com like service ?
any one could take over and charge a fee or similar ?

I suspect that:
- Most people that use mysqueezebox.com is probably expecting it to be available for free as that's what they have got from Logitech.
- Most people that would be willing to pay for it are probably running a local SBS/LMS and don't want to rely on a central server.

or could it be distrubuted among all LMS users in some torrentlike/cloud fashion where every one online also support all small portion of other users without server ?

Everything is possible but to me it feels like this can be pretty unreliable or very complex.

However, it's important to realize that as far as I know there are no indication what so ever that Logitech is about to shutdown mysqueezebox.com, so let's start to worry about this when there is actually some indications that it's about to happen.

epoch1970
2012-01-13, 11:50
Is there anything else out there that have a brighter future except for AirPlay devices and Sonos ? If not, what's the alternative ?
Perhaps Android@Home will be more friendly to the open source SBS. It took at least 1 year to see Airplay gain some traction, maybe this year we'll see some @Home devices (other than light bulbs..)

Juggler
2012-01-13, 11:56
This is sad that we all seem to be giving up on them. I don't think AirPlay is a true alternative--one major limitation is that you cannot easily have "zones" if you're using iTunes as your library. iTunes can only play one song at a time.

To me the beauty of the Squeezebox system was that it was multi-zone, relatively open (see the large number of plugins developed) and the HW was good quality.

As for hardware, I'm looking for a headless player, one that can sit in my A/V cabinet. It would be good to see Logitech also develop another high-end player, but "horses might fly".

MrC
2012-01-13, 12:35
SBs are a lonely winter cash cow being milked until the teat runs dry.

Juggler
2012-01-13, 12:47
Nice!

SBs are a lonely winter cash cow being milked until the teat runs dry.

mherger
2012-01-13, 13:52
> SBs are a lonely winter cash cow being milked until the teat runs dry.

Right now playing on Radio Paradise: "Don't give up" by Peter Gabriel (with Kate Bush). I love that song. (and that radio station!)

--

Michael

kidstypike
2012-01-13, 14:46
Right now playing on Radio Paradise: "Don't give up" by Peter Gabriel (with Kate Bush). I love that song. (and that radio station!)

--

Michael

Thanks ;)

aubuti
2012-01-13, 15:44
Considering that they have managed to get rid of most people that had knowledge in the product I'm extremely skeptical if anyone would be willing to acquire the product line, feels like they either have to start investing in it themselves or continue to let it die slowly.
I think there are parts of the product line that a buyer might find valuable, possibly to build upon further or merge with some other product. Or to sit on it and eliminate a competitor.

There are some new hardware announced now and then from other vendors, but there are a lot of Squeezebox users and I believe most are quite happy with the devices, so except for Airplay devices and Sonos I don't really see any other strong competitor.
Well if you choose not to consider Airplay and Sonos -- that is the _strongest_ competitors -- then yes, it is hard to see any strong competitors. I think AirPlay has the big momentum at this point. Juggler is right that AirPlay isn't the same thing as SB, but for a lot of people that doesn't matter. Either they don't care about multi-room, or they have their server in their hand in the form of an iPhone, iPad, or iPod. Current SB owners are unlikely to give up what they have for that, but for new customers it's where the market is clearly going. Look at all the AirPlay-enabled audio components that have come out in the past year.

It would probably be possible to develop a third party Rhapsody plugin if necessary, it's just that it doesn't make much sense to do it as long as Logitech keeps providing it. However, if Logitech would shutdown mysqueezebox.com, it wouldn't surprise me if some third party plugins for SBS/LMS would released for the most important services which is provided through mysqueezebox.com.
I hope that's true. For that to work I would expect that one also needs to work out the agreements with Rhapsody, Pandora, etc. It requires more than an API and some coding.

jimzak
2012-01-13, 17:42
> SBs are a lonely winter cash cow being milked until the teat runs dry.

--

Michael

I suddenly have some optimism. Thanks.

amcluesent
2012-01-14, 04:01
Google could snap up Slimdevices. Port the Touch/Radio SqueezeOS/Squeezeplay firmwares to Android (1) and add mysqueezebox.com under Google Music for 8.0. Code an applet and plug-in to stream from Google Music. Sorted!

(1) 80% of which is probably done for the Android controller app.

gorman
2012-01-16, 07:14
Some thoughts and questions:

1) LMS works perfectly on Windows 7 x64. It's quite likely it will work no problem on Windows 8 as well. Considering Microsoft support strategies, this gives us at least a 10 year window with a supported OS in Windows environment. Linux will work forever quite probably...

2) How hard would it be for somebody to develop a slimclient a la Squeezebox 2/3? And make it compatible with LMS? Is there anything closed source that would stop that from happening?

3) LMS does already pretty much anything you might want to from a similar solution. Actually, it already does more than what it should (IMHO), considering the UPNP pictures and movies is completely optional and mostly useless.

4) If I could I would buy, right now, 10 Squeezebox 2/3 and stash them away for the rest of my life. They do what I want from a music solution.

erland
2012-01-16, 11:38
1) LMS works perfectly on Windows 7 x64. It's quite likely it will work no problem on Windows 8 as well. Considering Microsoft support strategies, this gives us at least a 10 year window with a supported OS in Windows environment. Linux will work forever quite probably...

Linux probably have more compatibility problems than Windows due to the fact that newer Linux distributions get newer perl versions and then some binary modules needs to be re-compiled. It's fairly easy to do but it's not something someone not used to computers would be able to handle.

2) How hard would it be for somebody to develop a slimclient a la Squeezebox 2/3? And make it compatible with LMS? Is there anything closed source that would stop that from happening?

SoftSqueeze is open source, so is SqueezeSlave, so a software based player already exist.
There are proprietary players for Android or iOS available already which shows that it's possible.
If you are talking about third party hardware, I would expect anyone that want to do this to focus on devices similar to Touch or Radio rather than SB2/3, mainly because they look more attractive on the shelf in the store.

The player firmware in Squeezebox Classic, Boom, Transporter, Duet(Receiver) is closed source and not available. The firmware in Radio, Touch, Controller is mostly open sourced.

Still, except for Android, iOS and Vortexbox players I don't think any third party vendor is interested in building something that uses the proprietary communication protocols towards LMS if Logitech would stop maintaining LMS. It's more interesting for these to communicate via UPnP interface as it means that their players would also work towards other UPnP Media servers.

3) LMS does already pretty much anything you might want to from a similar solution. Actually, it already does more than what it should (IMHO), considering the UPNP pictures and movies is completely optional and mostly useless.

IMHO, it does too much non music related stuff and too little music related stuff, but none of that will change, it has more or less been this way since 2006 when I got my first Squeezebox.

4) If I could I would buy, right now, 10 Squeezebox 2/3 and stash them away for the rest of my life. They do what I want from a music solution.

If you want a VFD display based solution you better get it now, because anyone producing new hardware is unlikely to use VFD. Any new hardware is going to have a color display, which means LCD, OLED or similar technology. If you want a VFD it's probably a good idea to start searching on eBay or similar sites.