PDA

View Full Version : Wake on Lan problem SB classic and Asus RT-N56U Router

captain
2012-01-09, 05:10
I recently upgraded my old Buffalo Airstation router with the above mentioned Asus RT-N56U.

With the old router I could start my PC (which is upstairs) by pressing the power button on my SB remote. After 30 seconds my SB was ready to start playing music.

Since installing the new router this no longer works and I have to manually turn the PC on before being able to play music. I have searched in vain through the router setup pages to find an option to turn Wake on Lan on but cannot see anything.

Does anybody have the same router with a solution to this?

Squeezed_Rotel
2012-01-09, 16:59
I recently upgraded my old Buffalo Airstation router with the above mentioned Asus RT-N56U.

With the old router I could start my PC (which is upstairs) by pressing the power button on my SB remote. After 30 seconds my SB was ready to start playing music.

Since installing the new router this no longer works and I have to manually turn the PC on before being able to play music. I have searched in vain through the router setup pages to find an option to turn Wake on Lan on but cannot see anything.

Does anybody have the same router with a solution to this?

If this p.c. has a windows O.S., I think that if you go first to "device manager" and look at "power management" tab for your nic card, you will then be able to activate WOL.

captain
2012-01-10, 04:12
If this p.c. has a windows O.S., I think that if you go first to "device manager" and look at "power management" tab for your nic card, you will then be able to activate WOL.

Thanks for the reply but my NIC settings are already fine.

Just to re-iterate - all was working until upgrading my router so it must be a setting within that.

captain
2012-01-13, 14:15
**bump**

aubuti
2012-01-13, 14:35
Just to rule out the obvious, you are still using a wired (ethernet) connection between the server and the new router, right?

The router manual makes no mention of WOL, but I agree it sounds as if it is failing to relay the WOL packet to the server. Have you tried doing WOL using one of the many utilities available? I expect it won't work either, but it's worth checking just to rule out the possibility that there's some new problem with the SB that happens to coincide with the new router's arrival.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest Asus forums and/or tech support.

captain
2012-01-14, 05:41
Just to rule out the obvious, you are still using a wired (ethernet) connection between the server and the new router, right?

The router manual makes no mention of WOL, but I agree it sounds as if it is failing to relay the WOL packet to the server. Have you tried doing WOL using one of the many utilities available? I expect it won't work either, but it's worth checking just to rule out the possibility that there's some new problem with the SB that happens to coincide with the new router's arrival.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest Asus forums and/or tech support.

Yes, I am still using a wired connection.

Can you recommend an easy to use WOL utility? I have just tried to use one (from Matcode.com) which I couldn't get to work. Please bear in mind that I am a network novice! (ie it really does need to be simple).

aubuti
2012-01-14, 06:24
It would help to know what OS you are using. Since most people who don't mention OS are using Windows, I'll assume that's what you have and suggest "WOL", which is freeware available from http://www.simply-ware.com/

gharris999
2012-01-14, 07:20
It couldn't hurt to try doing a factory reset of the SB. This is what you'd normally do to get WOL working again when you switch servers, not routers. But, as I said, it couldn't hurt to try.

I think you can initiate a factory reset on the SB3 by holding the "+" button on the remote while doing a power cycle by unplugging and then replugging the power supply. Kind of a three handed operation.

captain
2012-01-14, 11:11
Okay, sorry i'm a bit late coming back to this but I have been a bit caught up with work.

It appears that the problem MAY have been solved.

Before seeing the above suggestions I tried (just out of interest) to see if it would wake my PC up from a suspend (rather than normal off) and it worked! This obviously indicated to me that the router was passing the packet on. Anyway I then tried to do it again from a normal (soft) off and it worked again! So it appears that waking it up from suspend has triggered something to make it work.

Now, I am wary of saying that its definitely fixed as I have only done this once and don't have the time this evening to check it all out again - I will do it tomorrow and report back.

Anyway, if it is fixed thanks anyway to the above posters who have replied - it is appreciated.

Hopefully, I won't be back tomorrow with my tail between my legs!

captain
2012-01-15, 06:32
I tried it again today and it is definitely now working.

Thanks again to the people who took the time to reply to my thread.

vett93
2012-01-15, 13:28
What are the differences between the "suspend" and "normal off" modes? I have never heard of such terms. I think Windows 7 and Vista support the follow modes:

Operation
Away
S1
S2
S3 (known as sleep)
S4 (known as hibernate)
S5 (power off)

My LMS runs on a Windows Vista Home Premium desktop machine and is wired to a router. My SB Classic and Transporter can wake it up from the sleep mode. These two players can be wired or wireless and they work just fine. I am pretty happy with the setup.

However, the Softsqueeze (3.9b2) on my laptop cannot wake up the PC. I have tried several WOL tools and they couldn't wake up the PC either.

Can someone please comment why SB Classic and Transporter can wake up my PC and Softsqueeze cannot? I would like to remote wake up my PC for other purposes too. (e.g., serving as a photo sharing server via CIFS/SMB for my Wetern Digital streaming media player, etc.)

captain
2012-01-15, 13:46
Sorry if I caused confusion with the terms I was using:

For "Suspend" read "Sleep"
For "Normal off" read "Shut Down"

Both from the Windows start button.

vett93
2012-01-15, 14:05
It appears that the problem MAY have been solved.

Before seeing the above suggestions I tried (just out of interest) to see if it would wake my PC up from a suspend (rather than normal off) and it worked! This obviously indicated to me that the router was passing the packet on. Anyway I then tried to do it again from a normal (soft) off and it worked again! So it appears that waking it up from suspend has triggered something to make it work.

Sorry, I am still confused. When you said "I tried (just out of interest) to see if **it** would wake my PC up from a suspend", did you try the WOL tool? What did you do differently from before? Guess I don't understand what you meant by "it".

I am just trying to figure out how to wake up my PC for Softsqueeze and other applications......

Thanks.

captain
2012-01-15, 14:19
The "it" I am referring to is the SB remote (as mentioned in my opening post).

When I started the thread I was unable to wake up my PC from a "shut down" state by using the SB remote(something that I had been able to do before replacing my router).

Out of interest I tried to wake the PC with the SB remote from a "sleep" state (rather than a "shut down" state) and it worked. I then tried it again from a "shut down" state and this time it also worked.

So it appears that by starting my PC with the SB remote from a "sleep" state something was triggered that allows the remote to now wake up the PC from a "shut down" state.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

aubuti
2012-01-15, 20:24
However, the Softsqueeze (3.9b2) on my laptop cannot wake up the PC. I have tried several WOL tools and they couldn't wake up the PC either.

Can someone please comment why SB Classic and Transporter can wake up my PC and Softsqueeze cannot? I would like to remote wake up my PC for other purposes too. (e.g., serving as a photo sharing server via CIFS/SMB for my Wetern Digital streaming media player, etc.)
I would not be surprised if SoftSqueeze is not programmed to send the WOL packet. It was originally written by a user more or less as a try-before-you-buy demo, and has since been picked up as a SB community-supported project. Which is a long way of saying that features such as WOL may not have been included, or high on the list.

The inability of standard WOL utilities to wake the pc is more puzzling. Can you try those utilities on a different pc to see if there may be something about your laptop that is preventing the WOL packet from going out? Or if you have a smartphone you may be able to try a WOL app on that. If you can't get another computer or smartphone to test it then you could look at the network traffic with a tool like WireShark to see if the laptop is sending the WOL packet, but that can get pretty tedious.

vett93
2012-01-16, 02:46
I downloaded a WOL app on my Android phone. Before I put the PC into the sleep mode, I ran Wireshark on this PC to verify that it could receive the magic packet. It did capture the WOL magic packet. So I put the PC into sleep mode and sent the WOL magic packet from the Android phone. The PC did wake up. So far so good....

However, I tried again and it did not work this time. So I pressed the power key on the remote control of the SB3. It did turn on the PC. Then I used Wireshark on the PC again and sent the WOL magic packet from my Android phone. The PC did receive the magic packet again.

So I put the PC into sleep mode for the 3rd time and sent the WOL magic packet from the Android phone. But the PC did not wake up. So I used the SB3 remote control again to turn on the PC. Then I sent another WOL magic packet from Android and did see it on the PC Wireshark.

Then I tried again and it still did not work. Very strange. Can someone explain to me what I should do next?

I also tried the WOL tool from simply-ware.com on my laptop. However, the PC could not receive the magic packet. On the laptop, I tried both Ethernet and WiFi connection, but the PC couldn't receive the magic packet from either interface.

Do I have to do anything special on my laptop to send WOL magic packets?

aubuti
2012-01-16, 06:26
The behavior you're getting puzzles me. I can only venture a wild guess and say try turning off the firewall on your laptop and see what happens. Normally I wouldn't think a firewall would block sending a WOL packet, but I don't have any better ideas at this point.