PDA

View Full Version : Ever increasing song count



Nic Wardle
2004-10-18, 13:53
Michel

hope you managed to read my last post on this issue (included below). I have managed to keep a consistent and accurate song count now for several days.
It would appear that "re-initialising" the itunes XML library AND flushing slimservers Cache has solved this for me (tempting fate again!).
I think my problem arose from when I used MP3Gain to alter my libraries volume settings. I wonder whether the cache on slimserver was still referring to the "old unaltered" tags and this was causing a conflict when it read the "new altered" tags during playback?? I really don't know enough about how slimserver/itunes handles the tags etc, maybe someone can step in and tell me if all this conjecture is just pure drivel?!!!

Other things to try are; change to specify itunes stuff in slimserver, move playlist folder away from your music directory, stopping the slimserver service (if you have it running as one) and restarting after making any significant changes....

Let me know how it goes.

Nic

-----Original Message-----
From: Michel Fombellida [mailto:mf22433 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com]
Sent: 18 October 2004 19:08
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Ever increasing song count

The counted increased again... went from 2399 to 2411 so it was not the
playlist. I am now disabling the "use itunes" to see if it changes anything.

Michel


-----Original Message-----
From: Nic Wardle [mailto:nic (AT) nwardle (DOT) freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: 17 October 2004 21:14
To: discuss
Subject: [slim] Ever increasing song count

Michel
I have been troubleshooting this one for several days now. I may have found my solution (again!).
I remembered that I had used MP3gain on my collection before seeing this problem.
I decided to get itunes to reimport its collection (in options/advanced I think) by setting to another folder then re-pointing it to the usual collection. I believe this makes it rebuild its XML file (?).
Then I moved the playlist folder to a seperate folder completely from where the music is stored. Specified the itunes music folder and the itunes XML location (rather than auto detect).
Then finally cleared the TAG cache in the server. Restarted the slimserver service.
And (touching wood) the song count has stayed stable so far..... (2 days and counting).

On a side note, I had found that disabling itunes support in slimserver stopped this behaviour also, but this just isn't a viable option for me.

I'll let you know if it stays stable.

Nic


--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

This email has been checked for most known viruses - find out more at: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm

Michel Fombellida
2004-10-20, 11:55
Hi Nic,

I removed the playlist folder and also re-initialised the xml library like you
did and for 2 days the song count is stable. Thanks

Michel