PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend buying a squeezebox?



Steven Moore
2004-10-18, 01:31
Hi all,

I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the problems
that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained his box
(slimp 3) never worked properly.

Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?

Steven Moore

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jonas_Nordstr=F6m?=
2004-10-18, 01:41
I got my squeezebox last week, and it just works. I have my computer
and wifi accesspoint in the basement of the house and the squeezebox
on the ground floor with a concrete floor between them. No problem.
During installation I had one problem though, the slimserver crashed.
I started the server and it ran for 1-2 minutes and then, dead. I put
google to work, and found out that you can start the server with lots
of debug output (using --d_info switch). The server crashed after
indexing a Paul McCartney song. Never been a fan of his solo material,
I removed the file, and then everything went up smoothly.

I would absolutely recommend the Squeezebox.

--
Jonas Nordstrom


On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:31:08 +0100, Steven Moore
<steven (AT) mooreni (DOT) freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
> and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the problems
> that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained his box
> (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?
>
> Steven Moore
>
>

mark sayers
2004-10-18, 01:49
Buy one... i have mine running on a old mac g4 running OSX and it is
the best and sexiest piece of consumer electronics i have ever bought
next to my ipod!

Just buy one, now.



I SAID NOW




On 18 Oct 2004, at 09:31, Steven Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
> and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the
> problems that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained
> his box (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?
>
> Steven Moore
>
>

Ken Anderson
2004-10-18, 07:17
I still think this list needs a disclaimer at the bottom of every
message that says:

"Most people on this list are downloading nightly builds to stay on the
bleeding edge. The released software works just great!"

On Oct 18, 2004, at 4:31 AM, Steven Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
> and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the
> problems that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained
> his box (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?
>
> Steven Moore
>
>

Justin Pietsch
2004-10-18, 07:35
I have to reply, even though you've already made up your mind.

Have you ever dealt with products in which you just can't figure out
how to make them work. You know you must be able to do what you want,
but you can't figure out how? Or you read the manual but you still
can't remember how to do things because it doesn't make sense? Yeah,
me too, all the time.

Have you ever dealt with products in which you don't read the manual,
but they do what you expect them to do? Or you say, "Yeah, would't it
be great if it could X?" And then it does exactly what you expected in
the way you expected. That's the squeezebox. It generally does what I
expect it to do.

Justin

Kevin O. Lepard
2004-10-18, 07:47
>Hi all,
>
>I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of
>weeks and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the
>problems that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that
>complained his box (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
>Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?

Neil is one person complaining about a SLIMP3 (which you can't even
buy from Slim Devices) not working in a wireless network, when it was
designed for wired use. Granted some people have used it with
wireless bridges, but it wasn't designed for that.

That said, I've never had any significant trouble with my SLIMP3.

I also have a graphic Squeezebox. I've had no trouble with that
either. It works perfectly with a wired interface, and equally well
when I've had good signal strength via its wireless interface. I
don't fault the Squeezebox for having problems with a poor signal any
more than I would a computer that had a problem with a poor signal.

The SLIMP3 and Squeezebox have made me listen to and enjoy my music
more than any other single purcase in years, since it is now all easy
to access where I want to listen to it, when I want to listen to it.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Craig Eales
2004-10-18, 07:50
We have had this thread before (June 2004 - slim discus):

http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/2004-June/thread.html

See threads entitled "Why would I want one?"

HTH

Craig

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:35:11 -0700, Justin Pietsch <jpietsch (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> I have to reply, even though you've already made up your mind.
>
> Have you ever dealt with products in which you just can't figure out
> how to make them work. You know you must be able to do what you want,
> but you can't figure out how? Or you read the manual but you still
> can't remember how to do things because it doesn't make sense? Yeah,
> me too, all the time.
>
> Have you ever dealt with products in which you don't read the manual,
> but they do what you expect them to do? Or you say, "Yeah, would't it
> be great if it could X?" And then it does exactly what you expected in
> the way you expected. That's the squeezebox. It generally does what I
> expect it to do.
>
> Justin
>
>
>

Brooks Davis
2004-10-18, 11:20
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:31:08AM +0100, Steven Moore wrote:
> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
> and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the problems
> that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained his box
> (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?

Absolutly. I'm planning to buy quite a few more once I either get my
network rearchitected or they add support for open-mode WEP. Remember
that all you really see on the list is people who have problems so they
aren't representative.

-- Brooks

--
Any statement of the form "X is the one, true Y" is FALSE.
PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529 9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFBdAmCXY6L6fI4GtQRAp3cAKCzrqjaSycLkbd6uguZqc 7+hpBLcgCguEZO
IQS7ydZWkEMxex/zaKPH74M=
=IPjN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Beesley, S
2004-10-18, 14:17
I bought a Slim Squeezebox several weeks ago and did suffer a little bit as
I jumped straight into the beta release without realising. However, even
from day-1 I loved the product. Now, on the latest (released) code the
product is excellent. If you asked "would I buy again", the answer would be
yes!

Regards
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Moore" <steven (AT) mooreni (DOT) freeserve.co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 9:31 AM
Subject: [slim] Do you recommend buying a squeezebox?


> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks and
> I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the problems that
> are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained his box (slimp 3)
> never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?
>
> Steven Moore
>
>

Jim
2004-10-18, 18:51
Steven Moore wrote:

> I've been reading the discussion list posts now for a couple of weeks
> and I am rather put off buying a squeezebox because of all the problems
> that are coming up. There was a post by Neil that complained his box
> (slimp 3) never worked properly.
>
> Would you sill recommend the squeezebox, or should I hold off?

I give the Squeezebox two enthusiastic thumbs up. It has totally, and
literally, changed the way I listen to music in my living room. It used
to be we'd play music on an MDLP deck, which was great, but I had
recorded entire CDs on discs, generally by artist as best I could. Genre
mixes were an impossibility without re-recording discs. The streaming
radio was a pleasant bonus, and has proved to be very cool. Even though
I wrote the Live365 plugin, I frankly prefer Shoutcast. :-)

Cheers,
Jim