Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shogger
    • Nov 2010

Adding a playlist

Fairly basic question from a relatively newbie.
    How do I add a playlist to the server and then add my songs from iTunes to this list? I've been wandering round the server home page and the "settings" page but can't find where this is done.
    Still running SB 7.5.1 I'm afraid.
    Many thanks
  • shogger
    • Nov 2010

Well I seem to have managed to create an empty playlist on the server.
    I'm now completely stuck and don't know to add songs to this playlist from my iTunes library. I'm wondering whether I need to use my iTunes playlist (in which case how do you export it to SB server?), or whether you need a 3rd party plug-in (I notice there is a playlist manager on the list of these plug-ins).

I'm now getting frustrated and considering giving up the whole idea, as something that ought to be straightforward is now becoming too complicated. Any advice therefore much appreciated.

Ready NAS Duo, SB Touch, Boom, Radio, Server 7.5.1

Comment

• garym
      • May 2008

In the SbS/LMS webgui, you see artists, albums, etc in the left side window. Add any of these songs, albums, etc. to your active playlist (right side of screen). Once you have added what you want, click on the little disk icon at the lower right and this will save the playlist and give you the chance to name it.
      Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
      Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
      Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
      The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
      Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
      Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• shogger
        • Nov 2010

Many thanks garym
        I can now access my songs/albums and save to a playlist.
        Just a couple of questions (Sorry!):
        - How can you make a particular playlist your current one? When I accessed my files for the first time it gave me my (only) list as the current default but after that I couldn't pick it up.

- Really part of the same question, I'd like to be able to add a number of songs etc, and then come back and do more later. Is there a way you can do this, or do you have to save all your files in one go and hope it doesn't fail at the end? Is there a limit to the number of files you can add to a single playlist?

Many thanks again - you've been most helpful.

Comment

• garym
          • May 2008

Originally posted by shogger
          Many thanks garym
          I can now access my songs/albums and save to a playlist.
          Just a couple of questions (Sorry!):
          - How can you make a particular playlist your current one? When I accessed my files for the first time it gave me my (only) list as the current default but after that I couldn't pick it up.

- Really part of the same question, I'd like to be able to add a number of songs etc, and then come back and do more later. Is there a way you can do this, or do you have to save all your files in one go and hope it doesn't fail at the end? Is there a limit to the number of files you can add to a single playlist?

Many thanks again - you've been most helpful.
          On the left side of your webgui under my music you should see a playlist menu item. Select this and you should see the names of any playlists you've created and saved. Select one and that becomes your current playlist. You can add or delete or rearrange order and then click on the little disk icon at lower right to save. You can save as same name (over write) or a different name.

Not sure how to make a default playlist. For me, whatever my last active playlist was is what pops up.
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• rayman1701
            • Nov 2010

You could also export (save) the playlists in iTunes to an M3U file and put that in your playlist folder of LMS. That's what I do since I find it much easier to make a playlist in iTunes and get it just the way I want it.

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

Originally posted by rayman1701
              You could also export (save) the playlists in iTunes to an M3U file and put that in your playlist folder of LMS. That's what I do since I find it much easier to make a playlist in iTunes and get it just the way I want it.
              Agree. Haven't looked in many years but is there now an easy way to export an iTunes playlist in m3u format?

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Or if you have only AAC, mp3 files then you could simply do SbS iTunes integration. I Don't use this but don't all ones iTunes playlists automatically show up?

Comment

• shogger
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by garym
                  On the left side of your webgui under my music you should see a playlist menu item. Select this and you should see the names of any playlists you've created and saved. Select one and that becomes your current playlist. You can add or delete or rearrange order and then click on the little disk icon at lower right to save. You can save as same name (over write) or a different name.

Not sure how to make a default playlist. For me, whatever my last active playlist was is what pops up.
                  Thanks again garym - should have realised simply clicking on the playlist makes it the current one. It looks like you can't save a playlist and then come back and add to it later without overwriting, so I shall just have to be brave and do it one go!
                  Cheers

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by shogger
                    Thanks again garym - should have realised simply clicking on the playlist makes it the current one. It looks like you can't save a playlist and then come back and add to it later without overwriting, so I shall just have to be brave and do it one go!
                    Cheers
                    ?..?.. You can take an existing playlist with say 200 songs, open it, add one song to it. Save (over write with same name) and you'll now have 201 songs. Maybe you are confused. When you add a song to a playlist you use the + (add) option. If you select a song with the play option (>) it will wipe out the playlist I recall and start over. I'm doing this from memory as I'm away from home so may be a bit off. But bottom line is you can modify and resave playlist with no problem
                    Last edited by garym; 2011-12-29, 19:28.

Comment

• rayman1701
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by garym
                      Agree. Haven't looked in many years but is there now an easy way to export an iTunes playlist in m3u format?
                      Yeah, sometime around iTunes 9 I believe, at least with Windows, you can right click on the playlist title and choose Export, then select M3U as the save as file type. And you can also direct it to what folder to save it in. I was always frustrated in older versions of iTunes that you couldn't export as M3U, so I was quite surprised when it finally appeared.

I am having one issue with the latest LMS 7.7.1 that I didn't have on SBS 7.5, that for some reason it won't write the M3U playlist so that LMS can read special characters like MÖTLEY CRÜE. I've finally gotten around this by finding a free M3U editor and adding the CRÜE tracks and saving. Seems like a problem with the folder/file names having the special characters and it messing up the paths. It worked fine before, so I don't know what has changed, and it's only with M3U files, as LMS can read and play all of my albums and songs. And I didn't have the issue until I upgraded to 7.7.0.

Comment

• garym
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by rayman1701
                        Yeah, sometime around iTunes 9 I believe, at least with Windows, you can right click on the playlist title and choose Export, then select M3U as the save as file type. And you can also direct it to what folder to save it in. I was always frustrated in older versions of iTunes that you couldn't export as M3U, so I was quite surprised when it finally appeared.

I am having one issue with the latest LMS 7.7.1 that I didn't have on SBS 7.5, that for some reason it won't write the M3U playlist so that LMS can read special characters like MÖTLEY CRÜE. I've finally gotten around this by finding a free M3U editor and adding the CRÜE tracks and saving. Seems like a problem with the folder/file names having the special characters and it messing up the paths. It worked fine before, so I don't know what has changed, and it's only with M3U files, as LMS can read and play all of my albums and songs. And I didn't have the issue until I upgraded to 7.7.0.
                        I've read a solution to this that might work for you. Open the m3u file with WORDPAD then simply save as txt file (leaving .m3u as extension) and then LMS will read ok. Has something to do with UTF8 vs UTF16..

Comment

• rayman1701
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the suggestion Gary, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried a few of the problem titles, and it just would would say empty. I added one I knew would get read just to try, and it read the one file, but not the other 30 or so that I set up for the experiment. Like I said, I kinda got a workaround with the free M3U editor I found, although even it won't read KOЯN as a valid folder name. I don't know what changed, but I didn't have these issues with the older 7.5. I know I could/should rename the folders/file names, but since it will read and play songs fine, I don't really feel the need to change just for an occasional M3U. And if I really wanted I could just edit the playlists in LMS and save too. Although the test playlist name was KOЯN Experiment, and the playlist name showed up, just not any files. Just find it weird for it to read one level fine, then the next level down can't be read. Computers can be stubborn creatures at times

Comment

• garym
                            • May 2008

Odd. I'll have to look at my one Korn cd when I get home and make a playlist with it. ( not really my style of music, but I sat next to the band years ago in first class on the way to nyc. They were headed up to appear on the MTV music awards. They gave me a cd because I seemed to them to be a fountain of knowledge on classic rock!! One advantage of being old. ;-).

Comment

• rayman1701
                              • Nov 2010

And I'm a bit odd, since I tend to try and spell like it is on the album cover so I have KOЯN, MÖTLEY CRÜE, EMINƎM and so on. I know it would probably be easier to just not name them that way, but everyone has that one little thing in tags that they don't want to give up. I don't know if it makes any difference that mine are all ALAC, but I did have the same issue with a Beyoncé MP3, so I doubt it.

Comment

Working...