PDA

View Full Version : Pandora: Client restricted due to licensing restrictions

RickNY
2011-12-23, 17:41
Hey all.. Recently, when I try to attempt to access Pandora from my SB Controller, I receive the error message "Client restricted due to licensing restrictions (are you not in the US?)"

I use OpenDNS as my DNS provider... As a test, I switched over to Google DNS, and it then worked..

BUT - if I access the Pandora site directly while using OpenDNS, I am able to log in to my account and access it fine. How do I correct this issue?

Thanks,
Rick

pski
2011-12-23, 17:43
Hey all.. Recently, when I try to attempt to access Pandora from my SB Controller, I receive the error message "Client restricted due to licensing restrictions (are you not in the US?)"

I use OpenDNS as my DNS provider... As a test, I switched over to Google DNS, and it then worked..

BUT - if I access the Pandora site directly while using OpenDNS, I am able to log in to my account and access it fine. How do I correct this issue?

Thanks,
Rick

Use the method that works?

RickNY
2011-12-23, 17:47
Use the method that works?

The method that works is really not an acceptable one for me. I do not want to use Google DNS. I have been using OpenDNS for many years, and while using it - it does work with my web browser - it does not work with the latest versions of Squeezebox controller firmware under 'My Apps'

If I use Google DNS performance in other areas deteriorates (i.e Youtube) -- so I would much rather stick with OpenDNS.

Something changed in the most recent builds of LMS. It USED to work. Now it doesn't. And since it DOES work within a web browser while using OpenDNS, I suspect something has changed with LMS.

I should not that my other apps continue to work just fine -- its only Pandora that has broken. Using the Pandora app via WiFi (going through OpenDNS), and using my web browser both work fine with OpenDNS. It is only when I try to use Pandora ONLY on the Squeezebox that it breaks.

RickNY
2011-12-24, 13:56
Alright, my apologies... It is NOT due to LMS... It seems OpenDNS has started routing my DNS requests to its datacenter in Signapore, not New York (I am in NY) -- resulting in jive.squeezenetwork.com resolving to an international address instead of a domestic IP.

Ive opened a ticket with OpenDNS on the issue.

8forty
2011-12-26, 12:58
Did you get a response yet? I've got the same problem.

RickNY
2011-12-26, 13:03
I'm getting a runaround... OpenDNS is saying I need to resolve the routing issue with Optimum Online. Optimum Online is saying I should be using their DNS, and they can't be responsible if another company is handling it wrong.

At issue is the fact that OpenDNS uses Anycast - which is supposed to route an IP to the nearest available server. From what I could gather from OpenDNS's forums, this is something falls on THEIR hands, not the ISP. Their routes are advertising the wrong info to BGP routers, hence everything going to Signapore.

In the interim, I have resorted back to my ISP's DNS servers.

Rick

steve781
2012-01-11, 14:45
My ISP is Comcast and I'm having the same issue. Has anyne found a work around? Is there anything Logitech can do to resolve it? Thanks,

Steve

garym
2012-01-11, 14:52
My ISP is Comcast and I'm having the same issue. Has anyne found a work around? Is there anything Logitech can do to resolve it? Thanks,

Steve

I have comcast and have no problems. Then again, I'm only using DNS from my router address (192.168.1.1) and not some other DNS source.

steve781
2012-01-11, 15:04
When I lookup the IP for jive.squeezenetwork.com I get:

General IP Information
IP: 50.17.238.167
Decimal: 840036007
Hostname: ec2-50-17-238-167.compute-1.amazonaws.com
ISP: Amazon.com
Organization: Amazon.com
Services: None detected
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP

Geolocation Information
State/Region: Washington
City: Seattle
Latitude: 47.5839
Longitude: -122.2995
Area Code: 206
Postal Code: 98144

My IP is also in the US, so maybe there is another issue?

Steve

garym
2012-01-11, 15:06
My IP is also in the US, so maybe there is another issue?

Steve

probably. You're using a hardware SB right (not squeezeplay, etc.)

steve781
2012-01-11, 15:14
Squeezebox Radio, Pandora has always worked fine until now.

garym
2012-01-11, 15:14
try rebooting your router? Then restart the radio (hold the power button until it powers off then restarts itself)

steve781
2012-01-11, 16:05
Very strange, I didn't do anything and it started working again.