PDA

View Full Version : Can Random Mix Be Customized ?

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 08:11
I am guessing what I am asking about is not possible, but the dumb question is ther one not asked.

I have a great deal of live concert albums. These often have tracks named, Intro, Outro, Announcer etc. When listening to the whole concert it is nice to have these tracks. However when one chooses to play a random mix these tracks are undesirable. Is there any way to customize the Random Mix to ignore tracks w these filenames ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

aubuti
2011-12-21, 08:20
You can do something with the genre tag, such as giving those tracks a genre of "No Random Mix". Then don't include that genre in the Random Mix settings.

You also get a lot more powerful and flexible options if you install Erland's DynamicPlaylist and SQLPlaylist plugins. In particular, you have much more control over which genres to include and exclude, which is especially useful if your tracks have multiple genres.

garym
2011-12-21, 08:23
You can do something with the genre tag, such as giving those tracks a genre of "No Random Mix". Then don't include that genre in the Random Mix settings.

You also get a lot more powerful and flexible options if you install Erland's DynamicPlaylist and SQLPlaylist plugins. In particular, you have much more control over which genres to include and exclude, which is especially useful if your tracks have multiple genres.

yep, I use dynamic playlist and SQL playlist and tend to assign a genre of something like "spoken word" or similar to tracks in a live concert that are not music. Then can exclude in random mixes. This said, I also use a special genre for live concerts (I have many) and tend to entirely exclude live concerts from my random mixes as, like you, I typically listen to these as entire concerts....

aubuti
2011-12-21, 08:29
Good suggestions garym. And I should add that even though I advocate using the genre tag this way, in practice I haven't gotten around to changing those tags for most of my own collection. Instead, every now and then I just look ahead on the playlist that Random Mix generates and delete the tracks that I don't want in there.

I use this more general (and ad hoc) solution of deleting on the fly for other mixer software such as MusicIP. Even though I love its mixes, even MusicIP seems to throw in some clunkers in every mix.

rayman1701
2011-12-21, 10:29
What I usually do especially for stuff like Intros and spoken stuff during concerts that for some reason got its own track number, is to join that track with either the next track or the previous track, depending on the placement and feel. I use iTunes, so it's easy for me to do while ripping to ALAC.

For Example if it's a short intro then it just goes with the next track that it is introing. If it's a bit of a spiel or extended talking, I put it at the end of the previous track, so that after the song ends and the talking starts, if I don't want to hear it, I can just hit next track and go on.

I also will do this for stuff like Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help, or the Abby Road medley, where it just doesn't sound "right" to have it cut off in the middle of "continuous" tracks.

That's what works for me, and I might be weird but I never claimed not to be :)

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 10:44
Thank you all for your help. I may look at the plugins. I Like the idea of doing it on the fly which is fairly simple on the Touch itself or from the web interface even easier.

Is there a way to do the same thing in Squeezeplay ? I often use that when working on my PC as it is on a different floor than my stereo systems are.

garym
2011-12-21, 11:08
Thank you all for your help. I may look at the plugins. I Like the idea of doing it on the fly which is fairly simple on the Touch itself or from the web interface even easier.

Is there a way to do the same thing in Squeezeplay ? I often use that when working on my PC as it is on a different floor than my stereo systems are.

Yes, I use SqueezePlay for control 75% of the time (because I'm often at the kitchen table in front of my laptop). So when the dynamic playlist/SQL list loads up its next 10 tracks, click on the playlist view in SqueezePlay and if you see a song you want to remove, simply left click it with the mouse to get popup menu and one of the items is "remove from playlist".

aubuti
2011-12-21, 11:38
That's what works for me, and I might be weird but I never claimed not to be :)
It doesn't strike me as weird at all. Just one or two steps more obsessive -- or less lazy -- about it than I am.

I recall seeing several requests for a plugin that will keep tracks like Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help together in random mixes. Sometimes you just have to go to the source.

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 11:42
Thanks gary. From What I can gather one needs Erland's Dynamic Playlist for this to work ? I am running Squeezeplay 7.5.0 without plugins. When I left click nothing happens.

garym
2011-12-21, 11:52
Thanks gary. From What I can gather one needs Erland's Dynamic Playlist for this to work ? I am running Squeezeplay 7.5.0 without plugins. When I left click nothing happens.

Hmmm, just tried it by starting a Random Mix from that option in my music. Once I had the random mix playing, I went to the playlist list (all within SqueezePlay) and left mouse clicked on a future track (had to hold it for a second), but the context menu did popup and give me the option to remove from playlist.

This said, I can't be 100% sure that there isn't something in the background happening with erland's plugins even when I simply clicked on Random Mix in my music given that all that stuff is already installed and in use.

garym
2011-12-21, 11:54
It doesn't strike me as weird at all. Just one or two steps more obsessive -- or less lazy -- about it than I am.

I recall seeing several requests for a plugin that will keep tracks like Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help together in random mixes. Sometimes you just have to go to the source.

;-) For me the must be played together tracks are from Long John Baldry, It Ain't Easy Album, first two tracks (intro/conditional discharge and Don't Try to Lay No Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll)

emalvick
2011-12-21, 12:12
There was a nice plugin for MediaMonkey that allowed you to link songs together so that when a group of songs that should be played continuously would be played continuous during a random mix.

For instance, if you linked 3 songs together and song 2 was randomly picked ruding a mix, it would queue up songs 1, 2, and 3. It required a custom tag, but it did work well. It would be nice to have something similar for the squeezebox, although I tend to take the lazy way of either queuing it myself or just not worrying about it at all.

I do tend to exclude concerts from random mixes by default. I have too many concerts with poor recording quality to include in mixes.

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 12:21
[QUOTE=garym;678495]Hmmm, just tried it by starting a Random Mix from that option in my music. Once I had the random mix playing, I went to the playlist list (all within SqueezePlay) and left mouse clicked on a future track (had to hold it for a second), but the context menu did popup and give me the option to remove from playlist.

AH. Just went back and help down the left mouse button wo releasing it. The menu then appeared.

Thanks Gary. Always good to learn a little more about how these things work.

garym
2011-12-21, 12:28
[QUOTE=garym;678495]Hmmm, just tried it by starting a Random Mix from that option in my music. Once I had the random mix playing, I went to the playlist list (all within SqueezePlay) and left mouse clicked on a future track (had to hold it for a second), but the context menu did popup and give me the option to remove from playlist.

AH. Just went back and help down the left mouse button wo releasing it. The menu then appeared.

Thanks Gary. Always good to learn a little more about how these things work.

Excellent. p.s., I often have trouble with the click and hold stuff in SqueezePlay...it's not always obvious about how it's working!

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 12:31
I do tend to exclude concerts from random mixes by default. I have too many concerts with poor recording quality to include in mixes.[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to keep the concerts as many times one gets to hear songs that were either not commercially released, extended versions, different instrumentation etc.

That being said I for the most part only have concert recordings that are Sounboards, Sounboard/Audience matrixes, FM or Pre-FM recordings due to superior quality. When I went through the process of ripping, tagging etc. I listened to a portion of each CD of a concert recording to determine whether or not the quality was acceptable. There were some that did not make the cut.

garym
2011-12-21, 12:34
When I went through the process of ripping, tagging etc. I listened to a portion of each CD of a concert recording to determine whether or not the quality was acceptable. There were some that did not make the cut.

I should probably do that with my Grateful Dead Collection of concerts, but it will take the rest of my life to listen to them all! ;-)

...I'm almost done ripping my Europe 72 Complete Box Set. Looking forward to some shows that take me back in time over the holidays!!

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 12:55
I should probably do that with my Grateful Dead Collection of concerts, but it will take the rest of my life to listen to them all! ;-)

I seem to recall that somewhere recently in a post you mentioned you were nearing retirement. Maybe then you will have the time. Buying my 1st Touch earlier last year was my retirement gift to myself. It sure helped get through the long cold Wisconsin winter doing all that ripping and tagging.

...I'm almost done ripping my Europe 72 Complete Box Set. Looking forward to some shows that take me back in time over the holidays!!

Sounds like your GD collection is larger than mine. I have a few non commercial concert recordings, Dicks Picks 1-28 and most of the other commercial releases up to about that time. Great stuff. How many times can one listen to Drums and Space though. Ever listen to the album Grayfolded ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayfolded

garym
2011-12-21, 13:01
Sounds like your GD collection is larger than mine. I have a few non commercial concert recordings, Dicks Picks 1-28 and most of the other commercial releases up to about that time. Great stuff. How many times can one listen to Drums and Space though. Ever listen to the album Grayfolded ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayfolded

heard of it, but never listened. Sorta like the idea. When in the mood, I like a good Dark Star. Sorta like jazz to me, same song but very, very different over time. To be honest, I almost always "skip" the drums and space. And for the most part, I'm usually fond of 2nd set stuff from the Dead. I really like singer songwriter, country (well, not top 40 country), alt country, etc. from my Texas roots, but for the Dead, I prefer the longer jam material.'
p.s. my first rock concert ever was Grateful Dead in Dallas, TX, 12/26/1969. Wow, coming up on 42 years ago. Man I'm old!

garym
2011-12-21, 13:08
You mentioned talking about upcoming retirement, actually by "nearing" I meant about maybe 10 years in the future! But that's ok, I really like my job and might even work longer if I'm healthy.....

rayman1701
2011-12-21, 14:12
Just one or two steps more obsessive -- or less lazy -- about it than I am.

The nice thing is, since I rip in iTunes anyway, it takes all of 3 seconds to join, Highlight the 2 (or more) tracks, go to the Advanced pull down and select "Join CD Tracks", and then rip as normal and voila 1 track with both songs.

Of course I'm a bit on the obsessive side of what exactly I want in my tags, so I never, ever use auto look-up of CD tracks. For me I've found that's the only way I can be sure there is nothing in there that might mess up how I want my music organized, and I don't have to fret with a bunch of re-tagging. Of course as careful as I am, every once in a while I find a spelling error or two, but you get that with auto look-up too. Ripped my entire 3700+ CD library that way over about a 5 month period right before I bought my Touch in March of 2010.

I find it amazing how everybody has a different idea or system for ripping/organizing their music collections, and how they expect to see and find things.

(well that was a bit of rambling wasn't it?) :)

dasmueller
2011-12-21, 15:02
p.s. my first rock concert ever was Grateful Dead in Dallas, TX, 12/26/1969. Wow, coming up on 42 years ago. Man I'm old!

Early concerts

The Youngbloods At Goddard College Plainfield Vt

The Who Who's Next Tour Forest Hills Tennis Stadium NYC amazing and imo one of the top Rock albums of all time

Jethro Tull Aqualung Long Island Coliseum

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Long Island Coliseum-my younger tells me I took him to this but I have no recollection must have been lost in space

GeeJay
2011-12-21, 15:06
Back to the original request....

I accomplish this using the star ratings to identify, on the fly, the tracks I don't want to have in my random mixes. When a filler or intro track comes up for the first time in a mix, I assign one star to it using iPeng or my SB3 remote. All my Custom Skip filters omit 1-star recordings from the mix...no need to go in and add a genre to accomplish this.

Of course, this all requires Erland's suite of plug-ins (TrackStat, Dynamic Playlists, Custom Skip, etc.), but I contend those plug-ins are essential for getting the most out of SB in any event.

garym
2011-12-21, 15:22

Early concerts

The Youngbloods At Goddard College Plainfield Vt

The Who Who's Next Tour Forest Hills Tennis Stadium NYC amazing and imo one of the top Rock albums of all time

Jethro Tull Aqualung Long Island Coliseum

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Long Island Coliseum-my younger tells me I took him to this but I have no recollection must have been lost in space

Nice! I saw the Who's Next tour in Dallas. Front row seats. Perhaps the single best rock concert I ever saw (and I've seen many 100s).