PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 64-bit SP1 LMS player not found

kesey
2011-12-20, 13:34
Getting Logitech Media Server to work under Windows 7 64-bit SP1 LMS on a new computer seems to be a hit and miss affair. I've spent about 10 hours trying every configuration I can think of to get it running. No joy. I've searched everywhere I can think of, and found no solution that I can get to work.

I've tried installing VMware Player, and installing LMS 7.7.1, 7.7.2 and Squeezeboxserver 7.6.2 in a WinXP Pro virtual box, having failed to get any of those packages working in Windows 7 64-bit.

Some forum members got things going as in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86162 Some apparently didn't. In any event, the solution is not solid or dependable.

Help please!!

In addition to the above, there is a problem with LMS failing to start on re-boot.

None of the above problems is happening with my (i) Win 7 SP1(upgraded from Vista orig) with various "upgrades" of Squeezecentre en route or (ii) my Win XP Pro netbook, or (iii) my Sheevaplug running Debian Squeeze.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C660/C660D with 4 Gb ram. It came with Mcafee. LMS failed to work under that, and given the problems I've had with McAfee in the past, I uninstalled it and then uninstalled the LMS. I rebooted and re-installed LMS, still no joy. I then installed Avast, which is working very well for me on my other Windows machines.

garym
2011-12-20, 13:47
hmmm, something very odd going on. I've installed LMS 7.7.1 on 3 different Win7(64) machines and each took a few minutes with no problems whatsoever.
what is your AV program. I'm using microsoft security essentials on all my machines.

edit (and all machines have SP1)

kesey
2011-12-20, 14:01
Hi Gary, my AV is Avast, as per my edit of the opening post. Good to hear that LMS 7.7.1 is working for you elsewhere. I hope someone has come across my problem with Win 7, and found a reliable solution.

garym
2011-12-20, 14:04
Hi Gary, my AV is Avast, as per my edit of the opening post. Good to hear that LMS 7.7.1 is working for you elsewhere. I hope someone has come across my problem with Win 7, and found a reliable solution.

sorry, missed the avast on your machine. From the other thread it seems avast is part of the problem. Have you tried to uninstall avast entirely and perhaps use MSE instead?

garym
2011-12-20, 14:08
sorry, it appears you tried with no AV, and then added avast that worked on other win7 machines. Hmmm, tough one!

w3wilkes
2011-12-20, 15:31
For me the key with avast and W7 x64 with SP1 was to set TCP ports 3483, 9000 and 9090 to "All programs that meet the specified conditions".

kesey
2011-12-20, 16:10
Thanks wilkes.

I've had the laptop working on wireless up until now, so I decided to see if I could reach the Touch and Squeezebox 3 on wired connection. The minute I connected to an ethernet cable, I picked up the Touch and Squeezebox 3 and also the Boom.

It would appear that the problem may be to do with the wireless adapter/wireless settings in the laptop. The adapter is a Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless Lan 802.11n PCI-E NIC.

My router is a Linksys WRP400 802.11g. Maybe there is a conflict between that and the Realtek RTL8188CE. If anyone knows of a possible conflict and the best way to resolve it, please post the solution.

I'll get Googling in the meantime. All is apparently not lost:-)

w3wilkes
2011-12-20, 17:30
Don't know if this would help, but you could try disabling n on the Realtek wireless NIC and go with just b/g since that's all your router supports. It's also "recommended" that the PC running the LMS should be a wired connection to the router (even though I've been able to run my Duets with both the laptop and SBR running wireless). And lastly, I'm still running 7.6.1, haven't ventured to LMS yet.