PDA

View Full Version : Plugins v. cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins

cliveb
2011-12-19, 10:31
What's the difference between these two directories:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins
/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins

I'm experimenting with LMS 7.7.1 on Ubuntu 11.10, and there are two old plugins I want to use that are not in the "default set": OtherPlayers and PowerSwitchII. I started off by putting them both into /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins, and they worked fine. But then every time I went to the Plugins page on the web interface, it popped up the box that asks for a server restart. I then noticed on my old installation (7.3.2 on Ubuntu 8.10) that PowerSwitchII was in /var/lib/squeezecenter/Plugins. So I moved it to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins on LMS 7.7.1 and now everything is fine and that box no longer pops up.

So I don't have a problem - I'm just curious what causes this difference in behaviour.

mherger
2011-12-19, 22:30
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins

That's where you have to install plugins you install yourself, manually.

> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins

That's where plugins managed through the plugin manager are installed.
Don't touch it.

--

Michael

Mnyb
2011-12-19, 22:45
ohter Players can be installed with the plugin manager no need to do it manually , just enable all kinds of third party plugins etc...

cliveb
2011-12-20, 02:05
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins

That's where you have to install plugins you install yourself, manually.

> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins

That's where plugins managed through the plugin manager are installed.
Don't touch it.
Thanks. That probably explains why the web interface got in a bit of a tizz when I put PowerSwitchII into the cache directory.

But I manually plonked OtherPlayers into the cache directory and everything seems fine. Should I have instead put it in the manual Plugins directory?

ohter Players can be installed with the plugin manager no need to do it manually , just enable all kinds of third party plugins etc...
I did enable "all 3rd party plugins" but didn't see OtherPlayers listed. There's another plugin called SwitchPlayer - maybe that has replaced OtherPlayers? When I tried that it didn't seem as functional as OtherPlayers.

Mnyb
2011-12-20, 02:11
if it's not under recomended 3rd party plugins it may be in otherr 3rd party plugins ( this menu migth be disabled by default by the installer ).

I always had otherplayers and it just kept on being installed when i upgraded .

cliveb
2011-12-20, 06:38
if it's not under recomended 3rd party plugins it may be in otherr 3rd party plugins ( this menu migth be disabled by default by the installer ).
Well, now that it's installed of course it appears in the menu. But I am 95% certain that before I manually added it, it wasn't in any of the 3rd party plugin menus.

I always had otherplayers and it just kept on being installed when i upgraded .
Right, but I've been doing clean installs, not upgrades. Maybe your existing OtherPlayers install survives the upgrade and therefore remains in your menu.

Mnyb
2011-12-20, 07:06
When thinking about it , there is yet another source of upredictability you can add more repos to the plugin manager ? i migth have done that .
or in the other direction it is possible to unistall the plugin manager plugin :)

MeSue
2011-12-20, 18:52
Well, now that it's installed of course it appears in the menu. But I am 95% certain that before I manually added it, it wasn't in any of the 3rd party plugin menus.

That's what happened to me. I used to have Other Players, then removed it at some point for troubleshooting. When I wanted it back it was not listed in the plugins page--I had to manually install it. I think I did the same as you, putting it in ...cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins.