PDA

View Full Version : Best android hardware for Squeezebox remote ?

erland
2011-12-17, 04:01
Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the best Android hardware is for a Squeezebox remote ?

I want something that's as future proof as possible and also something that works good as a Squeezebox remote control. Preferably something which both Logitech's app works on but also SqueezeCommander and other third party apps.

I have been looking at Samsung Galaxy Note and also the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 but I'm not sure if those are the best options. I think I either would prefer something cheap (similar to Apple iPod Touch) or something a little bit larger (size somewhere in-between the iPhone and iPad).

Ability to run one of the latest Android versions is a requirement as I'm partly also plan to use it for testing my plugins on the Android remotes.

So, is there anyone that have experience with Android hardware and usage together with Squeezebox and would like to recommend something ?

Atlantic
2011-12-17, 05:06
So, is there anyone that have experience with Android hardware and usage together with Squeezebox and would like to recommend something ?

I'm having limited success with Galaxy S2 phone. Upsides are:

Seems just about the right size to hold, use, or put to one side on a coffee table.

Battery life actually isn't too bad, if you switch off 3G operation (otherwise battery life is an issue); I manage 2 - 4 days between recharges with intermittent use on WiFi.

Used SqueezeDroid, and normal SBS web UI on it, controlling two SBRs. Haven't tried SQ-commander because I haven't registered with Google. Haven't tried the Logitech app because I don't want to register with My Squeezebox . Com, either .

Downsides are:

Very expensive, even on a contract (you either buy it, or pay during the contract life).

It's an unnecessarily rich phone for this type of use - it has GPS stuff etc, as well as countless applications most of which I haven't used.

Web UI is too small on the screen; although you can expand the view, you then lose the 'positional' context, so it's not the best way to use the phone.

SqueezeDroid works, but I seemed to get a long list of tracks which I found difficult to navigate, and I hit the problem that if you select one track to play, the whole album gets played. (There was another thread about this a while ago and I've got to check what the solution to that was.)

So I tend to use the Web UI, and expand the screen to make selections etc.

It's a good question, though. I'm also interested in getting a less-complex Android phone which might be good as a remote - as well as occasional browsing etc - but in this form factor; I like the hand-holdable size, and the fact that it doesn't take a lot of space if you put it down on a small table or shelf. (A useability aspect, really.)

I don't know if Squeezeplay would work, I haven't tried it.

regards,

Atlantic

Jeff Flowerday
2011-12-17, 06:31
Asus transformer is a relatively cheap option that will get ice cream sandwich.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

slate
2011-12-17, 06:58
Most of todays Android tablets are running 2.3 and will most likely not get 4.0 unless you get assistance from XDA.

I had thought about getting a Galaxy S 5.0 or a Galaxy Tab 7; even considered to get a Kindle Fire 7 from the US.

But instead I got a Lumia 800 with SqueezeRemote... still cant see what I need a tab for.

JerryS
2011-12-17, 09:59
Not qualified to answer most of your questions but would just point out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 (which I purchased because the wife monopolised my iPad) gives acres of room to display lots of information in an uncluttered fashion.

pippin
2011-12-17, 10:19
Sp why doesn't it do it (display information in an uncluttered fashion)?

fphredd
2011-12-17, 10:30
Not qualified to answer most of your questions but would just point out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 (which I purchased because the wife monopolised my iPad) gives acres of room to display lots of information in an uncluttered fashion.

What app is the screenshot from?

JerryS
2011-12-17, 15:56
Sp why doesn't it do it (display information in an uncluttered fashion)?

er...... well, possibly because the app was written to present the information in a format that I find useful rather than in one that you find to be aesthetically pleasing?

What app is the screenshot from?

Home rolled. With no disrespect intended to authors of existing apps, I find that I can better resolve my search and display aspirations by writing my own. Bit like cooking, always best at home!

Anyway, I was just trying to make the point that the Acer wide screen offers display possibilities.......

pippin
2011-12-17, 16:18
I just didn't understand what the information presented and the order in which it is being presented means.

arztde
2011-12-18, 06:43
Erland, i understand you like to use and develope for new hardware.

I personaly liketo keep you thinking in something: not anyone have the money and like to use and buy new hardware just to use as a remote.

A lot of users have old mobile phones and when they get a new their question appear, is what they do with the old one.

My personal story was: I did lost my old phone once and at same time my Car navigation system was stolen.
I got a HTC touch diamond but for this phone at this time did not exist any squeeze remote. Locuth a C++ developer did not have any squeezebox hardware and not any smartphone but he was loving programming just for fun.

He did develope a remote just for fun without any possibility to test it in real live. But it was amazing: his alpha remote was at this time working and was one of the best i ever saw.
I did not have any squeezebox hardware at this time and i bought a used Duet and without to see it, i did send it directly to Locuth that he did have more ease to develope his slimcontrol for a beta release. And i thought it is a good idea to send him also my new HTC Diamond for optimize Slimcontrol in the next beta to my phone.
After 3 months i got my phone back and i did bought me in this time a SB3 classic so i let Locuth the Duet for further developement.
Slimcontrol is still for me one of the best remote solutions because it do not all but is absolute optimised for usability and to be fast.

Now the next point:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244

There exist a more than 10 years old mobile the Blue Angel and was possible to get such a phone for just 20 Euros. It is allways sold including a cradle and so is a optimal solution for a remote. And there are plans to transfer this old hardware to FROYO.

There exist another HTC old Win Mobile phone with very good instructions how to flash it with Android (HTC Kaiser):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=376

I did bought a HTC Kaiser last week in Ebay for just 15 Euros and flashed it to Android 3.2
Shure its not the fast one but for to use it as Squeezebox or XBMC or VDR remote its a very good and fast enough solution.
Just investment of 15 Euros for a good remote and so i have now in each room such remote.

New Windows mobille you can not use C++ for developement as far i know.
My idea in yours posting is now somehow to contact locuth or if you like the idea drop me a private message and i contact you with Locuth.

What i did found allways in yours plugins, that they need a lot of hardware resources and because i use low powered hardware for NAS or PC they are good but its not a good idea to run your Plugins for such a hardware.

Maybee you can do a very best remote with training to programm for low powered hardware. ITS NOT A ATTACK against you, please do not understand me wrong. I am not a programmer, but i see only all the programming you do needs powered hardware. Maybee this can be improved if you are pressed to do something for old hardware with another style of programming with same results. HTC desire is again something with high power hardware. So i keep just the topic: For me a flashed HTC Kaiser is the best Android for the moment because i do not have another. And my measure is a remote should be in this way programmed that this phone works good together.
I did test now some Android remote solutions now but no Application run from usability point like Slimcontrol. Maybee after talk with Locuth you share some code and go on with him together to make such a control solution.

Do not understand me wrong. I do not suggest you a special pad to buy, but with my short experience of Android i like to say the existing Apps run with Squeeze good together but they need lot of batery power and its good solution for a remote to have allways something like a cradle.

Jeff Flowerday
2011-12-18, 10:15
If you read his original post, he's buying one to test his LMS plug-ins not to develop a new controller app(s).

erland
2011-12-18, 11:35
Erland, i understand you like to use and develope for new hardware.

I'm not planning to develop a new remote control solution, I just want a way to verify that my existing plugins works properly in Logitech Android app, SqueezeCommander and other third party apps.

And on top of this, I want to get some experience on Android from a user perspective so I have some chance to compare iPhone/iPad with similar Android devices.

mherger
2011-12-18, 23:02
Erland,

I think you really should know clearly what you're going to do with your
tablet, before you decide what to buy. Eg. I was surprised by how much I
liked the Kindle's form factor (7"?) for _reading_ (I know, that's what
it's supposed to do). Larger tablets you can't use single-handed. And the
SB Controller App is running quite nicely on it. It's time we somehow get
it there officially...

But as an all-purpose tablet I still prefer the larger models. Eg.
browsing web pages has a big plus with a larger screen. Unfortunately
there's still a huge lack in tablet optimized software. Eg. my Acer's
pre-installed mail client does have an improved layout, but it lacks so
badly otherwise, that I prefer k9. Which is not optimized for the tablet's
size.

--

Michael

arztde
2011-12-19, 01:58
If you read his original post, he's buying one to test his LMS plug-ins not to develop a new controller app(s).

Ahhh thank, and big appologize for my worse english to understand complete wrong after 14 hours night work

erland
2011-12-19, 11:26
I think you really should know clearly what you're going to do with your
tablet, before you decide what to buy.

The tricky part is that with new type of devices like this the things you "think" you are going to use it for can often be quite different to what you actually end up using them for.

Primarily I just want something Android based to try it out and to be able to test the Squeezebox Android apps. So I want something that's as compatible as possible with most of the Squeezebox remote apps available.

If I've understood correct, HTC has some issue with the Logitech Squeezebox app so based on this I think I need something else than a HTC.

The Samsung devices (Galaxy Note and Tab 7.7 or Tab 8.9) looks nice, does anyone have experience using them together with Squeezebox remotes ?

A friend of mine have a Motorola Xoom, which he likes, but I don't think it has the latest Android version.

Are some manufacturers better than others regarding offering upgrades of the Android OS ? Or is all pretty bad so you basically have to get new hardware if you want the latest Android version ?

mherger
2011-12-19, 13:10
> mherger;677864 Wrote:
>>
>> I think you really should know clearly what you're going to do with
>> your tablet, before you decide what to buy.
>>
> The tricky part is that with new type of devices like this the things
> you "think" you are going to use it for can often be quite different to
> what you actually end up using them for.

True! I would never have considered the 7" device as my first (and final) choice. But now that I've had it for a while, I think I would have been happy too... I would never have thought so.

> If I've understood correct, HTC has some issue with the Logitech
> Squeezebox app so based on this I think I need something else than a
> HTC.

The "HTC issue" is fixed now. But they have a poor track-record about breaking compatibility. Ask bluegaspode (I think?) about the UDAP configuration tool for receiver et al.

> The Samsung devices (Galaxy Note and Tab 7.7 or Tab 8.9) looks nice,
> does anyone have experience using them together with Squeezebox remotes
> ?
>
> A friend of mine have a Motorola Xoom, which he likes, but I don't
> think it has the latest Android version.

I think there's only one device with the latest "Ice Cream Sandwich" version: Samsung's reference phone. And that's probably your best bet if you want to be future proof: get whatever Google uses to announce something new. It's most likely to be the device which will get longest support.

I've been burnt with the HTC Desire: while they do offer an update to 2.3, it's only considered a developer's edition, not for the end-user. Which means: I can develop/test for the Desire & 2.3, but most users will never use this combination. The Acer Iconia got updated from 3.0 to 3.2 within minutes after I had set it up.

--

Michael

emalvick
2011-12-21, 12:23
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2. It is a decent phone. I won't comment on the price since I can't fathom what it costs in Europe.

It does have a 4.3 inch screen. larger than an Iphone but definitely not a tablet device.

I use SqueezeCommander on it without a hitch. I even find (if you recall a question I asked a while back with respect to CustomBrowse) that the menu hierarchy set through the numbering system works across menu sets with the SqueezeCommander app where it didn't on my previous Android Phone nor on the Controller itself. I have not tried the Logitech app. I didn't like it on my old phone as the SqueezeCommander app is so smooth and continues to be.

The phone itself seems to work nicely. Samsung seems to have one of the better interfaces for Android phones. My old Motorola device was not nearly as nice. Samsung is trying to compete with Apple, thus there are features that are very IPod/IPhone like.

The drawbacks are that it is a phone and has a lot of features you may not need.

The thing to probably take from this is that you can probably have faith in Samsung products.

maggior
2011-12-21, 13:10
> mherger;677864 Wrote:[color=green]
>
> A friend of mine have a Motorola Xoom, which he likes, but I don't
> think it has the latest Android version.

I think there's only one device with the latest "Ice Cream Sandwich" version: Samsung's reference phone. And that's probably your best bet if you want to be future proof: get whatever Google uses to announce something new. It's most likely to be the device which will get longest support.

I've been burnt with the HTC Desire: while they do offer an update to 2.3, it's only considered a developer's edition, not for the end-user. Which means: I can develop/test for the Desire & 2.3, but most users will never use this combination. The Acer Iconia got updated from 3.0 to 3.2 within minutes after I had set it up.

--

Michael

Remember that Motorola Mobile (or whatever that division was called) was purchased by Google. The Xoom is a "google experience" device, so it is a device that is likely to get regular updates for quite a while.

I bought a refurbished Xoom which I am quite happy with.

bobharp
2011-12-22, 12:12
I know it's considerably off the main topic of this post (android) but I've been really happy with 'Squeeze Control' on my Palm Pre 2 phone.
The exhibition mode while on the touchstone charger is rather nice.
I am sure that the phone and tablet are still available.

Here is a link to the screen shots:
http://angrygoatapps.com/screenshots.html

In the latest round (Verizon) new every 2 contract I was faced with jumping to Android or picking up the Pre 2 for free (essentially). I went with the Pre for $$ reasons.

The open source (WebOS)community has been great and there are ample apps.

On the Anrdoid side, my wife has the Motorola Atrix 2 and is quite happy with it. The multimedia dock works well as well as the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Android tablet (and other tablet) screen resolutions are reportedly going to increase in the next 6 months and would likely play havoc with any arrangement of squeezebox control applications.

Happy hunting.

bobharp
2011-12-24, 06:22
I just tripped across Anand's (Anandtech.com) "Smartphone Bench 2011"
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Smartphone11/360

Definitely worth a look.

jo-wie
2011-12-24, 07:50
A friend of mine have a Motorola Xoom, which he likes, but I don't think it has the latest Android version.

I use a Xoom WiFi which was sold cheap in Germany. It uses Android 3.2Honeycomb and Motorola announced to release 4.0 for it. As maggior wrote the Xoom WiFi is a "Google experience device" and official supported by Google.

You have to buy a Google supported device to be sure to get updates after release.