PDA

View Full Version : Cat 5 Connection Issues

djm2
2011-12-16, 12:17
Hello,

I have been having nothing put problems connecting a Duet and a Touch into my network wirelessly, so I am attempting to switch to a wired connection. Not optimal, IMHO, but we could make this work if necessary. Also, I have a service ticket in with Logitech trying to resolve the wireless issue, and their first request is that "I connect direct to the router." I'm sure they want to see what eliminating my network and security setup does.

So, I have a router, with Cat5 cables connecting to two switches -- one in each room that will be served by the Touch and the Duet. Wired connections and lights on the switches indicate everything is connected as expected.

Reset Touch to factory, and setup allows me to connect to internet, connect to mysqueezebox.com, and attempt to download a software update. All appears good except for the fact that the update never finishes installation. Yes, I have tried multiple times. I have done three factory resets, with three download attempts per factory reset. The highest install percentage that I've seen is 17% Not too good, but at least it has gotten a connection to mysqueezebox.com, which wasn't true when working from router-firewall-switch-wireless access points. This info. has been relayed to Logitech support.

Duet is a different story. I reset to factory and connect the Cat 5 cable, but it will not find the wired connection and keeps wanting to connect to one of the wireless networks. What is going on here?

Thank you in advance; hopefully I'll have better luck here than I've been having with support.

toby10
2011-12-16, 12:40
Go ahead and connect the Duet via WiFi, let it update. Then on the Controller go to Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network > Connect to Ethernet

Tried the Touch wired directly to your router? If that works then something seems out of place with your network. I use two switches on my wired network just fine. Also make sure these are just simple switches, NOT hubs. If they are a switch/hub combo then you need to wire them correctly to NOT use the hub portion.

djm2
2011-12-17, 10:29
OK, I will give that a try. Thank you. Will update success or failure after this.

djm2
2011-12-18, 11:57
Well, with the Touch I have now tried to download the software update about 23 times, with numerous reboots of the server, Touch and router -- never downloads the update, and hence cannot really be tested.

I have managed to connect the Duet to the network, but it won't find the music server and will not connect to mysqueezebox.com.

These products are complete jokes. Logitech has just lost a customer of over 20 years.

garym
2011-12-18, 13:31
Well, with the Touch I have now tried to download the software update about 23 times, with numerous reboots of the server, Touch and router -- never downloads the update, and hence cannot really be tested.

I have managed to connect the Duet to the network, but it won't find the music server and will not connect to mysqueezebox.com.

These products are complete jokes. Logitech has just lost a customer of over 20 years.

hmmm, the products work quite well most of the time (although admittedly, the duet receiver can sometimes be cranky setting up). It seems that something else is going on here with the network. Give up if you prefer, but maybe some more troubleshooting can help.

I assume the switches are truly switches and not other routers that are also acting as DHCP servers?

How about this test with the Touch....connect directly to your router (not the switch) and do factory reset, etc. This is not for permanent use, but just to see if you can get it going, updated with firmware etc. without all the other variables (cat5 wiring, other switches, etc.). Assuming you can get this going correctly, do the same thing with the duet (connected directly to router, factory reset, etc.). Just trying to remove some of the variables in the setup to isolate the problem.
EDIT: Sorry, I see you tried the touch connected directly to ROUTER. I assume that the duet was disconnected to your network at that time. And disconnect (temporarily any other network device, just to narrow down any IP conflicts, etc.)

And I assume that you have rebooted (removed power and added back power) to both your modem AND your router to clean up anything there....

toby10
2011-12-19, 03:53

Was the Touch wired when you tried this? Confirmed Touch was using ethernet via Touch Diagnostics?
Something is just not right with your network. ;)
How about taking the Touch to a friend or neighbor to try it wired on their network to get the update?

sgmlaw
2011-12-19, 21:45

That's an interesting statement. We have three classics, two touches and a radio living on our rather large wired lan (26 ports), with no problems for years. Occasionally, we walk the radio around on wireless and the transition is seamless back to the server. As these setups go, the slim/squeeze server to client connection is fairly robust.

Your statement seems to describe network faults more than anything else. That you were having earlier wireless issues tells me it is most likely a router problem. You may want to audit your IP assignment tables and see if DHCP is properly implemented and configured.

While these are 10/100 devices, don't count on jack status lamps as an indicator of infrastructure quality or correct device configuration.

Poor infrastructure in particular can feed many gremlins. Old "Cat5" cable is an obsolete standard that shouldn't be used at the trunk level with modern devices. Try Cat5e or 6 wire for more reliable transmission.

Running through too many layers of lower quality consumer-grade switches can also cause all sorts of packet handling problems.

djm2
2011-12-20, 12:41
Thank you everybody, but after two months of trying to get this connected I am simply abandoning the effort. I have hired purported experts to come in, and taken considerable amounts of my own time to try and connect this. Nothing has worked.

For those of you who have this working -- I'm pleased as punch for you. I'll be looking for another solution.

toby10
2011-12-20, 14:26
It sucks it hasn't worked for you, truly. That would be frustrating I know. :(
But, honestly, you will have to get your network straightened out regardless for any networked music player, SqueezeBox or other.

I just switched my Touch back and forth between wired & WiFi four times, easy as pie, using a wired switch (which is connected by another wired switch), took about two minutes total time.
Verified via Touch Diagnostics it switched each time, it even continued to play the same stream between switches, which I was not expecting.

djm2
2011-12-20, 15:10
It sucks it hasn't worked for you, truly. That would be frustrating I know. :(
But, honestly, you will have to get your network straightened out regardless for any networked music player, SqueezeBox or other.

I just switched my Touch back and forth between wired & WiFi four times, easy as pie, using a wired switch (which is connected by another wired switch), took about two minutes total time.
Verified via Touch Diagnostics it switched each time, it even continued to play the same stream between switches, which I was not expecting.

Frankly, I doubt that I need to get my network straightened out. Yes, I suspect that the network is the problem, but that it is a problem because of the high grade security that I must have in place and which my clients demand of me. And when it comes down to keeping my clients happy or having access to a networked music player -- the music player gets dumped FAST. There are other ways of getting access to music which will work just fine. There are some reasons why I wanted the Duet/Touch, but not so much that I would jeopardize the client relationships -- and that is where the fingers were pointing from tech support.

aubuti
2011-12-20, 15:25
Well if your network is "too good" for the SBs then that will continue to be a problem. I suggest either setting up the SBs on their own network segment that is isolated from your mission critical secure network, or choose another solution that doesn't depend on your installed network. Sonos is one option, because it uses its own proprietary mesh network. Or you could get a couple iPods with docks.

toby10
2011-12-20, 15:36
Completely agree, security first. :)
I wouldn't compromise my network for my music players either. I run two business' from my home including remote access to other computers and numerous online bank transactions in and out of business bank accounts, including Remote Deposit (live checks scanned & transmitted over the internet).

But had you mentioned the details of such security aspects up front, perhaps another solution could have been offered. "Security" in such consumer device forums means basic Anti Virus and Firewalls, absent additional details. Or, maybe could have saved you a lot of time & trouble from trying such devices which cannot be used with such security features. I dunno, guess we'll never know. ;)

mn283
2011-12-21, 06:17
Frankly, I doubt that I need to get my network straightened out. Yes, I suspect that the network is the problem, but that it is a problem because of the high grade security that I must have in place and which my clients demand of me. And when it comes down to keeping my clients happy or having access to a networked music player -- the music player gets dumped FAST. There are other ways of getting access to music which will work just fine. There are some reasons why I wanted the Duet/Touch, but not so much that I would jeopardize the client relationships -- and that is where the fingers were pointing from tech support.

errr place the music on its own VLAN. oh thats assuming your using intelligent swiches, which I assume you are as you are running a secure network.

eganders
2011-12-21, 08:35
errr place the music on its own VLAN. oh thats assuming your using intelligent swiches, which I assume you are as you are running a secure network.He could run it entirely on it's own subnet too, without bothering with a VLAN, using a low end dedicated server, which he could firewall off from the world.

Many potential solutions are available for his situation.