PDA

View Full Version : When did mySQL stop being used?

cliveb
2011-12-14, 09:26
I gather that at some time in the recent past Squeezebox Server / LMS switched from using mySQL to some other DBMS (SQLite?)

Can anyone tell me at what release this switchover happened? (And what is the new DBMS that is being used?)

Mnyb
2011-12-14, 09:58
Short answer 7.5.6

slate
2011-12-14, 10:14
And yes we are back on SQLite

cliveb
2011-12-14, 11:28
Short answer 7.5.6
Now that's interesting, because...

I downloaded the DEB package for 7.6.1 and installed it on a test machine where I'm trying various things out. This machine is running Mythbuntu 11.10. After I installed 7.6.1, SBS kept dying and restarting every 5 seconds. After some searching in these forums, it seemed like an uninstall/reinstall might help, and so I removed the SBS package. At this point, mySQL stopped working, and the MythTV backend wouldn't start. It seems as if removing SBS did something to mySQL.

Question: if during installation SBS discovers a mySQL database, does it install itself into that rather than SQLite? And does removing SBS then try to tidy up its use of mySQL (with potentially damaging consequences)?

gorman
2011-12-18, 08:14
On a powerful server does this bring advantages or disadvantages. I can increase the RAM used by mySQl, is this available with Lite?

Mnyb
2011-12-18, 08:18
On a powerful server does this bring advantages or disadvantages. I can increase the RAM used by mySQl, is this available with Lite?

Yes there is still a high performance setting (but it could do more )

gorman
2011-12-18, 10:45
But do we still have the option to modify manually the config files? My server has 4GB of RAM...

cliveb
2011-12-20, 06:47
Excuse the bump, but I really would like to know the answer to a question I posed earlier:

Question: if during installation SBS discovers a mySQL database, does it install itself into that rather than SQLite?

I suspect this may be the case because of the following:

I started with Mythbuntu (which includes MythTV, which uses MySQL).
When I added SBS, the install of SBS clearly started fiddling around with MySQL settings in some way.

But when I installed plain Ubuntu then added SBS, I could see no evidence of MySQL anywhere on the machine.

erland
2011-12-20, 13:38
Question: if during installation SBS discovers a mySQL database, does it install itself into that rather than SQLite? And does removing SBS then try to tidy up its use of mySQL (with potentially damaging consequences)?

Every installation I've made has ignored the old MySQL database and created a new SQLite database. I guess it could depend on OS, but I suspect that all distributions from Logitech will switch to SQLite. Not sure if the installer actually uninstall MySQL or just stops using it.

cliveb
2011-12-21, 01:27
Every installation I've made has ignored the old MySQL database and created a new SQLite database. I guess it could depend on OS, but I suspect that all distributions from Logitech will switch to SQLite. Not sure if the installer actually uninstall MySQL or just stops using it.
Well that's interesting, because attempting to install SBS 7.6.1 or LMS 7.7.1 clearly trashes the MySQL AppArmor file.

From looking around on the net it appears this was a known problem in earlier releases, but if it is now using SQLite in all circumstances, what the **** is the installer doing dicking around in MySQL config files?

bpa
2011-12-21, 01:30
Well that's interesting, because attempting to install SBS 7.6.1 or LMS 7.7.1 clearly trashes the MySQL AppArmor file.

From looking around on the net it appears this was a known problem in earlier releases, but if it is now using SQLite in all circumstances, what the **** is the installer doing dicking around in MySQL config files?

You should vote for this bug to get it sorted.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17818