PDA

View Full Version : IPv6 - is this going to cause problems of my SB devices ?

swayzak
2011-12-13, 09:29
Hi

I've vaguely heard about this being introduced & that a lot of legacy devices won't be upgraded to use it.

Will this affect home networks running Booms / Duets (either via LMS or MySB.com) ?

Or is it backwards compatible with IPv4 enabled devices

thanks

garym
2011-12-13, 09:32
Short answer. No.

servies
2011-12-14, 01:47
Hi

I've vaguely heard about this being introduced & that a lot of legacy devices won't be upgraded to use it.

Will this affect home networks running Booms / Duets (either via LMS or MySB.com) ?

Or is it backwards compatible with IPv4 enabled devices

thanks
The real answer: maybe...

If your home network stays IPv4 and your router will do the translations to IPv6 and mysqueezebox.com will keep an IPv4 address: no problem at all, if mysqueezebox.com will only have an IPv6 address in this scenario then that won't work any longer.
If your home network also switches to IPv6, then your squeezeboxes won't work any longer.

IPv6 is not backwards compatible with IPv4, an IPv4 address can be translated to an IPv6 address but most IPv6 addresses can't be translated to IPv4.

toby10
2011-12-14, 02:19
I remember the same topic discussion from a while ago:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53800&highlight=ipv6

The general consensus seems to be "don't get too worried about it", particularly when involving the more common home networking environment.