PDA

View Full Version : OMG Awesome set up with googletv

FredFredrickson
2011-12-12, 12:32
I'm a squeezebox purist. I hate having pandora on my TV and Roku, because I know it's not my music library and it's not synchronized with my kitchen and bedroom.

So last night, my logitech revue updated to Honeycomb, and I managed to sideload a few APKs that are not in the google market. One of them was the Logitech Squeezebox App.

OH MY GOD. Logitech! Put this app in the google marketplace for googletv. It works FANTASTICALLY on the big screen.

Nothing makes me happier than the fact that I can now use the tv with friends and family at my christmas party next week. And when we listen to pandora, rhapsody, or my own library, it'll all be nice and synchronized.

FredFredrickson
2011-12-12, 12:36
Can I get an Amen?

maggior
2011-12-12, 12:50
Can you describe how you went about the sideload process? First off, where do you obtain the APK file? Secondly, how do you transfer the APK file to your Revue to install it?

I have 2 revues, one of which has updated. I would like to try this out!

FredFredrickson
2011-12-12, 13:15
It's so incredibly easy I'll walk you through it!

Step 1. Settings. Go to the apps list, and chose the settings > applications > Check the box "unknown sources"

This will allow third party apps.

(the rest is copy pasta)

Open the Google Chrome web browser on your GTV and navigate to: https://www.dropbox.com/

2. Click “Log In” at the top right corner of that webpage

3. Sign in using the following credentials:

login: gtvmarket@gmail.com
password: GTV2011

There is an APK in the main directory for logitech squeezebox remote.

5. At this time, you can select any of the applications listed to install. Once the file is downloaded, long press the Home button on your GTV remote and head over to “Notifications”. From there you can click on the file you just downloaded and you will be greeted with installer prompt. Simply select “install” and then agree to the disclaimer about the system access that application will have access to. Now you are ready to launch that application by selecting “Open” or you can select “Done” and rest assured, that application will now be available in your app drawer.

mherger
2011-12-12, 13:23
> OH MY GOD. Logitech! Put this app in the google marketplace for
> googletv. It works FANTASTICALLY on the big screen.

Heh... I'm shocked... ;-) I haven't tried it in a while, but last time I
did, it was slower than most of the phones and pods I have to test with...
But admittedly they seem to have improved performance in recent firmware
builds of the revue. Today it doesn't seem that poor any more.

But how do you navigate? I mean... this app is written for a touch screen.
How do you swipe lists? This was basically the deal breaker for us: we
would have had to re-write large parts to make better use of the d-pad on
the keyboard etc.

But then you have a full keyboard, probably better rely on the search than
on scrolling. Hm... interesting :-).

--

Michael

FredFredrickson
2011-12-12, 13:26

Heh... I'm shocked... ;-) I haven't tried it in a while, but last time I
did, it was slower than most of the phones and pods I have to test with...
But admittedly they seem to have improved performance in recent firmware
builds of the revue. Today it doesn't seem that poor any more.

the keyboard etc.

--

Michael

I didn't even notice I needed to swipe lists! I use the D-pad and the mouse to click on buttons. It seems fully functional to me. As far as performance goes, it's just as fast as the touch in my opinion!

My next project.. getting squeezeplay for android installed.. (Devilsmile)

maggior
2011-12-12, 14:07

Now that would be super cool!!

maggior
2011-12-12, 14:08
It's so incredibly easy I'll walk you through it!

Step 1. Settings. Go to the apps list, and chose the settings > applications > Check the box "unknown sources"

This will allow third party apps.

(the rest is copy pasta)

Open the Google Chrome web browser on your GTV and navigate to: https://www.dropbox.com/

2. Click “Log In” at the top right corner of that webpage

3. Sign in using the following credentials:

login: gtvmarket@gmail.com
password: GTV2011

There is an APK in the main directory for logitech squeezebox remote.

5. At this time, you can select any of the applications listed to install. Once the file is downloaded, long press the Home button on your GTV remote and head over to “Notifications”. From there you can click on the file you just downloaded and you will be greeted with installer prompt. Simply select “install” and then agree to the disclaimer about the system access that application will have access to. Now you are ready to launch that application by selecting “Open” or you can select “Done” and rest assured, that application will now be available in your app drawer.

Thanks for the steps! I'll have to give this a whirl tonight.

maggior
2011-12-12, 14:16

the keyboard etc.

--

Michael

Could you make it so that the button under the d-pad would simulate a finger touching (a click essentially) and simultaneously swiping with another finger? I do this all of the time on a laptop where you select something and you need to drag it. You hold down the "mouse" button with your thumb and drag using your pointer or middle finger.

Perhaps this is the idea that you have that requires a lot of recoding.

bluegaspode
2011-12-12, 15:43

Unfortunately does not work, as Google "forgot" to provide NDK (native development kit support) for GTV :(

http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/tv/android/docs/gtv_android_features.html#NDK

Which is definitely stupid, as most games use NDK as well to be portable among different platforms. I do use the native development kit for fast FLAC decoding in SqueezePlayer.

PS: Please don't tell me that honeycomb does support FLAC - yes it sorta does but only for its own MediaPlayer. Developers that need to implement their own streaming cannot make any use of it.

So let's wait another two years until Google provides the next firmware, then we can have hope again ...

maggior
2011-12-12, 17:57
Unfortunately does not work, as Google "forgot" to provide NDK (native development kit support) for GTV :(

http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/tv/android/docs/gtv_android_features.html#NDK

You've got to be kidding! I'm new to the whole android thing and I have to say that I'm less than impressed with how timely Google releases OS's.

mherger
2011-12-13, 05:59
> Could you make it so that the button under the d-pad would simulate a
> finger touching (a click essentially) and simultaneously swiping with
> another finger?

Swiping is emulated by holding the "mouse button" (button below touch-pad, not d-pad!) and moving the mouse. But it's awkward, and can hardly be done single-handed.

As the Revue comes with a full keyboard, it's probably easiest to just rely on search instead of browsing. Just hit the Search key on the keyboard to get to the search mask.

Unfortunately play/pause key mappings seem to have changed in a later state, thus the app's key mapping doesn't work for those two. Volume, fwd/rwd, Search, Back and Menu (jump to the app's home menu) should be fine.

--

Michael

pippin
2011-12-13, 06:24
You've got to be kidding! I'm new to the whole android thing and I have to say that I'm less than impressed with how timely Google releases OS's.

Obviously. If you weren't new to Android you were used to it...
Also don't ever expect to get more than a single OS update for a device rendering them useless after a year. Latest.

Welcome to the Android world.

maggior
2011-12-13, 06:51
> Could you make it so that the button under the d-pad would simulate a
> finger touching (a click essentially) and simultaneously swiping with
> another finger?

Swiping is emulated by holding the "mouse button" (button below touch-pad, not d-pad!) and moving the mouse. But it's awkward, and can hardly be done single-handed.

Michael

OK, that's what I was thinking about - the wide button underneath the touch pad (got my terms mixed up - not sure what the d-pad is then).

Unless I'm missing something, it should be easy to do single handed. Holding down the button with you right thumb, you should easily be able to swipe with a finger. Maybe it's because I use a laptop so much and I'm used to doing drag-n-drop with a touch pad a lot.

I'll check it out tonight.

FredFredrickson
2011-12-13, 07:13
Tried it last night, yeah, you can use the mouse button to drag menus, but it is clunky. I'll stick to search for now.

Still great to have that interface on my TV!

Sidenote: Rhapsody Channels don't let you skip song on the Logitech controller app. This isn't expected behavior..