PDA

View Full Version : anyone weatherproof a SB?



ddewey@cyberthugs.com
2004-10-14, 13:44
I bought my SB to use as an interface for my outdoor system; it works great.
However, my initial plan to mount the SB in an interior window frame didn't
work, it's not visibile due to glare and the angle at which I have to view
it in this particular window.

I'm thinking of doing something else, not sure what. Maybe mounting it in
an exterior wall on my deck, building a weatherproof case, etc.

Haven't thought a lot about this yet, but before I tackle it, has anyone
done anything like this? It's already cold here (northeastern US) so I have
the next 9 months or so to figure it out. :-)

dave

Mark Bennett
2004-10-14, 14:18
Have you considered buying a wi-fi equipped PDA and then using
that to control your music through the web interface? This has
the advantage of keeping you SB inside in the dry and warm,
allows control from virtually anywhere within wi-fi range and
is much easier to build up and manage playlists.

Might work out a little more expensive, but certainly easier.
(Of course if you don't have wif-fi then this isn't a viable
solution.)

ddewey (AT) cyberthugs (DOT) com wrote:

> I bought my SB to use as an interface for my outdoor system; it works great.
> However, my initial plan to mount the SB in an interior window frame didn't
> work, it's not visibile due to glare and the angle at which I have to view
> it in this particular window.
>
> I'm thinking of doing something else, not sure what. Maybe mounting it in
> an exterior wall on my deck, building a weatherproof case, etc.
>
> Haven't thought a lot about this yet, but before I tackle it, has anyone
> done anything like this? It's already cold here (northeastern US) so I have
> the next 9 months or so to figure it out. :-)
>
> dave
>

kdf
2004-10-14, 14:25
that, or file a bug report requesting a new case made from drink umbrellas :)

Quoting Mark Bennett <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>:

>
> Have you considered buying a wi-fi equipped PDA and then using
> that to control your music through the web interface? This has
> the advantage of keeping you SB inside in the dry and warm,
> allows control from virtually anywhere within wi-fi range and
> is much easier to build up and manage playlists.
>
> Might work out a little more expensive, but certainly easier.
> (Of course if you don't have wif-fi then this isn't a viable
> solution.)
>
> ddewey (AT) cyberthugs (DOT) com wrote:
>
> > I bought my SB to use as an interface for my outdoor system; it works
> great.
> > However, my initial plan to mount the SB in an interior window frame didn't
> > work, it's not visibile due to glare and the angle at which I have to view
> > it in this particular window.
> >
> > I'm thinking of doing something else, not sure what. Maybe mounting it in
> > an exterior wall on my deck, building a weatherproof case, etc.
> >
> > Haven't thought a lot about this yet, but before I tackle it, has anyone
> > done anything like this? It's already cold here (northeastern US) so I
> have
> > the next 9 months or so to figure it out. :-)
> >
> > dave
> >

thnmnt
2004-10-14, 14:44
on a side note - can people chime in about which PDA's they use to control
squeezebox? my last attempt at a wireless PDA was a Compaq ipaq that used
those enormous sleeves to hold the cards..i returned it in a day. what's out
there that has good screen rez, good wireless range etc.. yeah i could read
tom's hardware - but i want to use it for this so i'm asking here - what's
good? and what sucks?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Bennett" <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 5:18 PM
Subject: [slim] anyone weatherproof a SB?


>
> Have you considered buying a wi-fi equipped PDA and then using
> that to control your music through the web interface? This has
> the advantage of keeping you SB inside in the dry and warm,
> allows control from virtually anywhere within wi-fi range and
> is much easier to build up and manage playlists.
>
> Might work out a little more expensive, but certainly easier.
> (Of course if you don't have wif-fi then this isn't a viable
> solution.)
>
> ddewey (AT) cyberthugs (DOT) com wrote:
>
> > I bought my SB to use as an interface for my outdoor system; it works
great.
> > However, my initial plan to mount the SB in an interior window frame
didn't
> > work, it's not visibile due to glare and the angle at which I have to
view
> > it in this particular window.
> >
> > I'm thinking of doing something else, not sure what. Maybe mounting it
in
> > an exterior wall on my deck, building a weatherproof case, etc.
> >
> > Haven't thought a lot about this yet, but before I tackle it, has anyone
> > done anything like this? It's already cold here (northeastern US) so I
have
> > the next 9 months or so to figure it out. :-)
> >
> > dave
> >

Daniel Cohen
2004-10-15, 08:45
On 14/10/04 at 5:44 pm -0400, thnmnt wrote
>on a side note - can people chime in about which PDA's they use to control
>squeezebox? my last attempt at a wireless PDA was a Compaq ipaq that used
>those enormous sleeves to hold the cards..i returned it in a day. what's out
>there that has good screen rez, good wireless range etc.. yeah i could read
>tom's hardware - but i want to use it for this so i'm asking here - what's
>good? and what sucks?

Also, I asked a question earlier that did not get answered (people
responded to one of my other questions, and I think this one got
lost).

Does SoftSqueeze work on both Palm and Pocket PC PDAs?
--
Daniel Cohen

ddewey@cyberthugs.com
2004-10-15, 17:33
Quoting Mark Bennett (mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk):

>
> Have you considered buying a wi-fi equipped PDA and then using
> that to control your music through the web interface? This has
> the advantage of keeping you SB inside in the dry and warm,
> allows control from virtually anywhere within wi-fi range and
> is much easier to build up and manage playlists.

Yes, I _have_ considered that, it certainly would be considerably easier.
It's the way I'd like to go, but squeezing the $$ past the spouse is
trickier; I need to come up with a better rationalization than just
controlling the SB. :-)

Thanks guys.