PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Squeezebox to Win 7

Ian Ringer
2011-12-01, 10:12
Hi

I recently upgraded to a desktop with Win 7 64-bit and since then I have not been able to play music via my Slim Devices Squeezebox (yes, it is a few years old, but was doing all I required).

In trying to configure the Squeezebox I can do everything until it gets to the instructions about the 'DNS server'. I have no idea what this means or what to do. I assume that by not knowing the IP address for this server I am not getting the two boxes to talk with each other.

Are there any other things I need to consider and configure that were different to a computer with XP?

I would be very grateful for any useful advice - I want to listen to my music via the hifi again!

All the best, Ian

pski
2011-12-02, 09:16
Hi

I recently upgraded to a desktop with Win 7 64-bit and since then I have not been able to play music via my Slim Devices Squeezebox (yes, it is a few years old, but was doing all I required).

In trying to configure the Squeezebox I can do everything until it gets to the instructions about the 'DNS server'. I have no idea what this means or what to do. I assume that by not knowing the IP address for this server I am not getting the two boxes to talk with each other.

Are there any other things I need to consider and configure that were different to a computer with XP?

I would be very grateful for any useful advice - I want to listen to my music via the hifi again!

All the best, Ian

A DNS server is needed to communicate with the "outside world" of the internet. They translate web URL's like "GOOGLE.COM" into the ip address needed to start a conversation.

When configuring your SBoxes, you should probably select "Automatically obtain an IP address." This will end your DNS discussion with the boxen.

I assume the win7 machine has LOGITECH MEDIA SERVER installed and running. On the win7 box click this and make sure you get the webUI:

http://localhost:9000

If your squeezebox is connecting via wifi make sure the win7 box is connecting to the same wifi (if wireless) or is plugged-into the wifi router that is talking to the squeezebox.