PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer - Still having problems with stream playback



KNUTE
2004-10-13, 17:59
Thanks Sean, thanks kdf...OK, I sent (I think) my URLs to Sean. In case the letter didn't go through,
here they are again 68.8.39.79:9000/stream.mp3 and 68.8.39.79:9000.
kdf... I don't know what to say. Your advice is probably great, but it's outta my league.
I'm not a developer. I'm a retired Mailman who just wants to be able to let my friends & relatives stream my purdy music.
The article in MaximumPC magazine, you know, the folks who gave Slimdevices a KickAss award,
said that I could stream that way, and that "It's so easy, anyone can do it!".
There is NO mention anywhere that Squeezebox, SoftSqueeze or Java are requirements.
On the contrary, MaximumPC and Slimdevices web pages state that the
Squeezebox hardware is NOT required. If at least SoftSqueeze and Java ARE
in fact required, it should be stated up front.

I have downloaded & installed SoftSqueeze V. 1.4 and it's mandatory Java V 1.4.2_05.
OK, if I ever need to stream to myself, SoftSqueeze works great -- almost no speed
playback problems. I can also stream to myself using WinAmp, iTunes or Media Player,
but the speed playback problems show up with them.

But all that is irrelevant, isn't it? I of course have no need to stream to myself, except when
testing SlimServer. The only thing that is relevant is the ability & ease of people receiving my stream.
("people" = Client Players?).
If I email a friend that if he wants to hear my stream, "all" he needs to do is enter my URL into his
Player, and enter my other URL into his Browser...THAT should be all it takes, right?
His "Player" will normally be Media Player, iTunes or WinAmp, right? I cannot & should not have to
email people that it won't work if they don't download SoftSqueeze & Java. MOST people
(Clients) out there in the real world are not nerds, developers, programmers or computer whizzes.
I had enough trouble just trying to get a friend to download & install WinAmp so he could be
one of my testing victims. I had thought that WinAmp was supposed to be the best Player to use.

Now, kdf, hopefully you understand that your suggestions look awfully complicated & downright
scary to me. WHY do I need to do all that? How will that help my streamees? Do ALL SlimServer
operators have to do all that just so their Aunt Zelda in Podunk can hear their stream?

What you said about running WinAmp myself, & Shoutcast, forgive me but I just don't understand.

Once again, please forgive my dumb, ignorant, elementary, pedestrian questions! I just wanna stream
my music, and I have not found Slim to be "so EASY, anyone can do it!" :) I really appreciate
your help -- and tolerance. Knute

Mark Bennett
2004-10-14, 00:45
Although I can't help diagnose the problem I can confirm seeing the same
thing on these streams. I get Chipmunk sounds on WinAmp, but it all
sounds fine with SoftSqueeze.

KNUTE wrote:
> Thanks Sean, thanks kdf...OK, I sent (I think) my URLs to Sean. In case
> the letter didn't go through,
> here they are again 68.8.39.79:9000/stream.mp3 and 68.8.39.79:9000.
> kdf... I don't know what to say. Your advice is probably great, but
> it's outta my league.
> I'm not a developer. I'm a retired Mailman who just wants to be able to
> let my friends & relatives stream my purdy music.
> The article in MaximumPC magazine, you know, the folks who gave
> Slimdevices a KickAss award,
> said that I could stream that way, and that "It's so easy, anyone can do
> it!".
> There is NO mention anywhere that Squeezebox, SoftSqueeze or Java are
> requirements.
> On the contrary, MaximumPC and Slimdevices web pages state that the
> Squeezebox hardware is NOT required. If at least SoftSqueeze and Java ARE
> in fact required, it should be stated up front.
>
> I have downloaded & installed SoftSqueeze V. 1.4 and it's mandatory Java
> V 1.4.2_05.
> OK, if I ever need to stream to myself, SoftSqueeze works great --
> almost no speed
> playback problems. I can also stream to myself using WinAmp, iTunes or
> Media Player,
> but the speed playback problems show up with them.
>
> But all that is irrelevant, isn't it? I of course have no need to
> stream to myself, except when
> testing SlimServer. The only thing that is relevant is the ability &
> ease of people receiving my stream.
> ("people" = Client Players?).
> If I email a friend that if he wants to hear my stream, "all" he needs
> to do is enter my URL into his
> Player, and enter my other URL into his Browser...THAT should be all it
> takes, right?
> His "Player" will normally be Media Player, iTunes or WinAmp, right? I
> cannot & should not have to
> email people that it won't work if they don't download SoftSqueeze &
> Java. MOST people
> (Clients) out there in the real world are not nerds, developers,
> programmers or computer whizzes.
> I had enough trouble just trying to get a friend to download & install
> WinAmp so he could be
> one of my testing victims. I had thought that WinAmp was supposed to be
> the best Player to use.
>
> Now, kdf, hopefully you understand that your suggestions look awfully
> complicated & downright
> scary to me. WHY do I need to do all that? How will that help my
> streamees? Do ALL SlimServer
> operators have to do all that just so their Aunt Zelda in Podunk can
> hear their stream?
>
> What you said about running WinAmp myself, & Shoutcast, forgive me but I
> just don't understand.
>
> Once again, please forgive my dumb, ignorant, elementary, pedestrian
> questions! I just wanna stream
> my music, and I have not found Slim to be "so EASY, anyone can do it!"
> :) I really appreciate
> your help -- and tolerance. Knute
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

kdf
2004-10-14, 01:06
> KNUTE wrote:

> > Now, kdf, hopefully you understand that your suggestions look awfully
> > complicated & downright
> > scary to me. WHY do I need to do all that? How will that help my
> > streamees? Do ALL SlimServer
> > operators have to do all that just so their Aunt Zelda in Podunk can
> > hear their stream?

my apologies. I thought that downloading and installing java would be no more
complicated than downloading and installing winamp. The operation of
softsqueeze is from a link in the server web pages, so that should be easy to.
The benefits to all of your family and friends is that softsqueeze works very
much like the hardware and it is actively supported with a growing list of
features. Winamp still requires that you have both winamp and a browser open.

However, it is not required. The problem is, what you are trying to do it not
included in what many reviewers would say "anyone can do it". The reviews are
concerning the hardware, which does work veyr well with the server. Sending
audio to winamp is supported, but isn't exactly the main point of the server.

as for my suggestions, you are free to ignore as you feel fit.

> > What you said about running WinAmp myself, & Shoutcast, forgive me but I
> > just don't understand.

to be honest, it wasn't really meant to be easily understood. Winamp allows the
addition of plugins. Shoutcast basically turns what YOU play on winamp into a
radio station. My personal recommendation would be softsqueeze.
Unfortunately, it IS a bit scary because its not as mainstream as windows media
player. I can understand your apprehension. Having said that, I stand by the
recommendation and hope that eventually you may feel more confident in trying
it out once you are more familiar with the rest of slimserver. It can be a lot
all at once, so take your time. Dont be afraid to try something new, but dont
feel you have to try it all at once, or right away.

> > Once again, please forgive my dumb, ignorant, elementary, pedestrian
> > questions! I just wanna stream
> > my music, and I have not found Slim to be "so EASY, anyone can do it!"
> > :) I really appreciate
> > your help -- and tolerance. Knute

there is no such thing as a stupid question. there may indeed be a bug with
winamp playback. As I have said, its not really the focus of the effort behind
slimserver. Many users have switched to softsqueeze, and winamp streaming just
doesn't seem to come up that often.

You have just about the best support you can get from a company here, so dont
give up. I'm certain the problem can be fixed, and likely wont take all that
long.

-kdf

kdf
2004-10-14, 01:26
Quoting Mark Bennett <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>:

> Although I can't help diagnose the problem I can confirm seeing the same
> thing on these streams. I get Chipmunk sounds on WinAmp, but it all
> sounds fine with SoftSqueeze.
>

I think I know what the problem is (or at least a workaround). I tried the urls
given, and the tracks appear to be mostly MONO. When winamp connects, the
server sends a silent audio signal in stereo. Winamp seems unable to tell that
this audio has changed, thus plays it fast.

As a workaround, sadly....its one more step. after your streamees start playing
their playlist from the web, and they start hearing chipmnunks, have them press
PLAY again on Winamp. It should then playback normally.

Maybe the server can send something in the header that will help winamp (et al)
reset properly.
-kdf

Mark Bennett
2004-10-14, 14:06
This fixes it for me on Winamp.

kdf wrote:

> Quoting Mark Bennett <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>:
>
>
>>Although I can't help diagnose the problem I can confirm seeing the same
>>thing on these streams. I get Chipmunk sounds on WinAmp, but it all
>>sounds fine with SoftSqueeze.
>>
>
>
> I think I know what the problem is (or at least a workaround). I tried the urls
> given, and the tracks appear to be mostly MONO. When winamp connects, the
> server sends a silent audio signal in stereo. Winamp seems unable to tell that
> this audio has changed, thus plays it fast.
>
> As a workaround, sadly....its one more step. after your streamees start playing
> their playlist from the web, and they start hearing chipmnunks, have them press
> PLAY again on Winamp. It should then playback normally.
>
> Maybe the server can send something in the header that will help winamp (et al)
> reset properly.
> -kdf
>

kdf
2004-10-14, 14:16
The question is, to which does the bug belong?

Is slimserver not sending teh right headers to trigger a switch to mono, or does
winamp not have the ability to switch midstream from stereo to mono?

-kdf

Quoting Mark Bennett <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>:

> This fixes it for me on Winamp.
>
> kdf wrote:
>
> > Quoting Mark Bennett <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>:
> >
> >
> >>Although I can't help diagnose the problem I can confirm seeing the same
> >>thing on these streams. I get Chipmunk sounds on WinAmp, but it all
> >>sounds fine with SoftSqueeze.
> >>
> >
> >
> > I think I know what the problem is (or at least a workaround). I tried the
> urls
> > given, and the tracks appear to be mostly MONO. When winamp connects, the
> > server sends a silent audio signal in stereo. Winamp seems unable to tell
> that
> > this audio has changed, thus plays it fast.
> >
> > As a workaround, sadly....its one more step. after your streamees start
> playing
> > their playlist from the web, and they start hearing chipmnunks, have them
> press
> > PLAY again on Winamp. It should then playback normally.
> >
> > Maybe the server can send something in the header that will help winamp (et
> al)
> > reset properly.
> > -kdf
> >