PDA

View Full Version : Players powering up randomly

chill
2011-11-24, 01:53
I have four players in a synched group - SB3, Touch, Boom and Radio. I often find that after starting one of them playing, one of the other players starts playing as well, even though all are set to 'Power off/on separately' in the synch settings.

It is very difficult to diagnose any sort of pattern to this behaviour, because I'm not always aware when one of the players starts up by itself - the Touch and SB3 only make a sound if their respective amps are powered up, and the Radio is upstairs in a bedroom with its volume set quite low. Usually it is some time after starting up a player that I will wonder into another room and notice that another player is on too. However, to try and troubleshoot this I've started checking the other players when I start one up, assuming I remember to do so.

What I think I've noticed is that the Radio is the most likely to come on when another player starts, and it does so as soon as that other player starts. If I then turn the Radio off, it seems to stay off regardless of what I do to the other players within the next few minutes. But if I come back to one of the other players later on and select a new playlist, change the volume etc, there's a good chance that the Radio will come back on. It's as though there is a 'reset' period.

At first I wondered whether iPeng was the culprit, since that is my main method of controlling all my players, but after seeing my Radio power up by itself when turning on the Touch from its touch screen I think I can let iPeng off the hook.

EDIT: Confirmed - all players off, iPeng unloaded from background in my iPhone, web interface tab closed on my browser. Powered up the Touch from its touch screen and the Radio started playing. Turned the Radio and Touch off, and now, within the next few minutes, the Radio is staying off. I'll have to try longer and longer gaps to see how long it takes for this behaviour to return. Also, synched players are all now set to resume playback on power up, but this behaviour (Radio powering up and playing) was present even when they were set to power up paused.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Setup:
LMS 7.7.0 (although this was happening in 7.5.something too)
OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Mini
All players connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme router, server wired
iPeng 1.4.3 running on iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

chill
2011-11-25, 01:47
Is nobody else seeing this sort of behaviour?

It seems like the Radio is the most likely to come on. This morning I used the IR remote to power up the SB3, and the Radio powered up and started playing. No iPeng or web browser involved.

The only thing apparently different about the Radio is that it's the only player with an alarm set, and this behaviour is easily reproducible after I let the 1 hour alarm period complete on the Radio and then later start up another player. I haven't been troubleshooting this long enough to be sure what other conditions will trigger this. It's proving hard to troubleshoot because after I put the Radio back into standby it seems to stay quiet, at least for as long as I can put up with being without music.

According to the server settings, all the players are definitely set to power off/on separately. I can't find confirmation of that setting in the Radio's own menus, but maybe it's a server-only setting.

Chris

pippin
2011-11-25, 14:04
Have you looked in the player settings (in the web interface) for the radio whether you have synchronized power?
Is your Touch maybe not controlling itself but the radio?

chill
2011-11-26, 04:14
Have you looked in the player settings (in the web interface) for the radio whether you have synchronized power?
Is your Touch maybe not controlling itself but the radio?

Thanks Pippin

Yes, the synchronisation settings are set to 'Power off/on separately' for all of my players, which I took to mean that turning any player on or off would not affect the others.

I've also checked that the Touch is set to control itself. In fact, after a bit more testing I've seen the Radio come on in response to powering up any of my three other players.

I've also ruled out iPeng, as I've not touched iPeng for a couple of days (just to try and clear its good name!) and the problem still persists. However, I DO think that the problem is now confined to the Radio, and that the other players coming on 'randomly' MAY have been attributable to the iPeng issue you described in the iPeng thread.

Yesterday, after my morning alarm on the Radio completed I then turned on one of the other players and the Radio came back on. I powered it off and then it was fine - powering up any of the other players had no effect on the Radio. I then left it all day, and when I got home from work it was still behaving properly - none of the other players affected it. So if there's a reset time involved it's a loooong time!

I was starting to wonder if it was related to the alarm. But this morning, with no alarm set (it's Saturday), I resisted the temptation to turn the Radio on until I'd gone downstairs to turn on one of the other players, and sure enough, turning on the Touch via its touch screen turned the Radio on. So it doesn't seem to be related to the alarm either.

I have a feeling this is going to take a long time to troubleshoot - maybe the problem returns overnight. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone else who finds that players are unexpectedly 'on'. At first I thought it might be Old Timer's disease, but after a bit of controlled testing I know it's not my imagination - the Radio is definitely coming on in synch with my other players, irrespective of the power synch settings.

Chris

pippin
2011-11-26, 04:37
There have been reports with the 7.6 versions of the server (and I've experienced it with 7.6.0 myself but not with 7.6.2, I believe) if players powering up on their own.
If the radio is synced it could be that you don't notice when it's powering on but only when you start playing something on a synced player.

chill
2011-11-26, 07:19
Thanks Pippin

I skipped 7.6 - I went from 7.5.something to 7.7.0. I was definitely experiencing phantom power-ups with 7.5.something, but I can't rule out the possibility that this was caused by the issue you've described with iPeng.

However, with 7.7.0 I can confirm at least one feature of this behaviour, which is definitely independent of iPeng. If I have all players in standby, and I bring one of them out of standby (touchscreen on the touch, power button on the Boom or IR remote on the SB3) then the Radio also comes out of standby. Sometimes.

Since I have my players all set to resume playing when they come out of standby, I can't currently tell whether it's powering up or starting playback that triggers the Radio to come on. If I can find a way to reproduce this without having to wait till the next time the alarm period completes, then I'll experiment with different 'resume' settings.

Chris