PDA

View Full Version : What a palaver

gruntwolla
2011-11-22, 14:50
Hi all,

I have read with interest various threads on how " geeky " or not the Squeezebox system is, and hought I'd share a recent experience.

Earlier this week, I upgraded my Napster subscription, and also tried out the latest LMS server on a spare laptop ( I've obviously got too much time on my hands at present)

Well I got everything configured eventually, but it was a hell of a lot more involved than I expected. I don't want to go into too much detail,( if anyone's interested I will) but to get Napster to appear on my apps, and not have to connect to it via mysqueezebox.com was a pain.

I am speaking here as someone who loves Squeezebox, and having used it for a couple of years now, consider myself reasonably proficient with its idiosyncrasies, but there is no way that was a user friendly experience..

Now that I've finally got it set up as desired, I have to say I like LMS, and the Napster upgrade is well worth the extra 5 a month ( bye bye Spotify ), but it should not have been that difficult.

Trev

jimzak
2011-11-23, 13:27
I would be interested in your tale of woe.

I shared my upgrade to 7.6.1 ad nauseum.

I think this kind of detail would be very useful to many folks contemplating their attraction to the latest offering from our favorite programmers.

amcluesent
2011-11-23, 14:21
> but to get Napster to appear on my apps, and not have to connect to it via mysqueezebox.com<

Sounds like you were fighting against the anticipated use case. Calling a problem may be invalid.

erland
2011-11-23, 16:50
Well I got everything configured eventually, but it was a hell of a lot more involved than I expected. I don't want to go into too much detail,( if anyone's interested I will) but to get Napster to appear on my apps, and not have to connect to it via mysqueezebox.com was a pain.

Please share the details, Logitech will never be able to improve unless they understand what users have to struggle with.

Mnyb
2011-11-23, 18:51
> but to get Napster to appear on my apps, and not have to connect to it via mysqueezebox.com<

Sounds like you were fighting against the anticipated use case. Calling a problem may be invalid.

This works you just make sure that your mysqueezebox.com creds are entered into the mysqueezebox.com tab in the squeezebox server then any app should be able to work trough the local server contacting mysb.com in the background a few apps can have a corresponding serverside plugin that needs to be on some don't ( but nowadays this plugin should turn on automatically, maybe a restart is needed )

Sometimes the local server may get into " dns " problems in reality it can't connect to internet, this affects all mysb.com integration including the radio listings from mysb.com this rarely happen on real computers it is more common on nas installs.

But you still install the app by going to mysqueezebox.com your player must be registred on your account which it is either by you during the setup or by the local server in the background.

Another gotcha can be the age of the server and firmware version, using mysqueezebox.com truogh your local server means that you can skip upgrades and run old versions of firmware.
This usually works fine untill you run * very * old versions of local server . An example would be from before the " app " concept was introduced

Mnyb
2011-11-23, 18:55
What I wanted to say is that if things are setups in the " normal way " you go to mysqueezebox.com and turn on the app.
And it works , a more involved app that have a service account tied to it may have some settings, but that s all.

Mnyb
2011-11-23, 19:10
...and disabling the mysqueezebox.com integration would not be recomended if services are suposed to work trough the local server.

toby10
2011-11-24, 02:49
...and disabling the mysqueezebox.com integration would not be recomended if services are suposed to work trough the local server.

I turned off MySB Integration years ago and SBS/LMS work fine with such services.
I think that MySB Integration is still only very basic player settings.

Mnyb
2011-11-24, 02:59
I turned off MySB Integration years ago and SBS/LMS work fine with such services.
I think that MySB Integration is still only very basic player settings.

probably, but it syncs the players name, that can be good .

But there are some unsolved bugs in it, from time to time check your booms bass and treble :)

toby10
2011-11-24, 04:47
probably, but it syncs the players name, that can be good .

But there are some unsolved bugs in it, from time to time check your booms bass and treble :)

Don't I know it bud! :)
That's why I stopped using the MySB Integration long ago, seemed to cause more issues than help.