PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 + lms + flac

superblast
2011-11-02, 19:31
I happened to update both my PS3 and Squeezebox today and was shocked when I saw the Logitech Music Server icon on my PS3. Sadly, I only have about 20 MP3s in my library but they do play on the PS3. Anyone know of a way to get the PS3 to recognize FLACs? I can see the folder structure but no FLAC files.

BTW, thanks to the software team for continuing to innovate. I love the Android app... it breathed new life into my Squeezebox 2!

toby10
2011-11-03, 02:39
PS3 won't play FLAC format, you must transcode to something else (mp3? wav?)

Blisteringblue
2011-11-03, 07:14
Playstation Media Server (PMS) will transcode FLAC on the fly but you will have to run it alongside LMS.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

AndrewFG
2011-11-03, 08:53
I happened to update both my PS3 and Squeezebox today and was shocked when I saw the Logitech Music Server icon on my PS3. Sadly, I only have about 20 MP3s in my library but they do play on the PS3. Anyone know of a way to get the PS3 to recognize FLACs? I can see the folder structure but no FLAC files.You could try Whitebear :-)

I don't have a PS3 so I can't test Whitebear with PS3, but I would be delighted to get your feedback. And if you are willing to go through a few loops, I am sure we can get it to work.

JJZolx
2011-11-03, 09:01
Shouldn't the DLNA server of LMS automatically transcode FLAC into something playable? Isn't that the whole point?

I would try disabling AIFF streaming of FLAC (something tells me a Microsoft device may not like that). This was newly added to 7.7.0 and it takes precedence over PCM streaming.

Go to Settings > Advanced > Files Types and set the following entry to 'Disabled':

FLAC..............AIFF

AndrewFG
2011-11-03, 09:39
Shouldn't the DLNA server of LMS automatically transcode FLAC into something playable? Isn't that the whole point?
Actually no, that is not quite the way it works. A DLNA Content Directory must OFFER all the formats that it is willing to serve, and the Player selects from this offer list, the one format that it wants to receive. According to the DLNA specification, the absolute minumum that a Content Directory server MUST offer is L16 aka LPCM ( this is something that AndyG for reasons known only to him calls "AIF without a header" ... ) I don't know the inside of LMS but Whitebear always offers L16 (it must), the original format of the file in question (to minimise transcoding overhead), MP3 (but only if you have LAME installed), and FLAC.

I would try disabling AIFF streaming of FLAC (something tells me a Microsoft device may not like that). This was newly added to 7.7.0 and it takes precedence over PCM streaming.
Go to Settings > Advanced > Files Types and set the following entry to 'Disabled':
FLAC..............AIFFAs I said before AIFF without a header is L16 (in AndyG-speak) which is the MUST offer format of DLNA. I suppose turning it off might make things work -- but for the wrong reasons; it would remove L16 from the offer list, and thus force the player to select something else...

Edit: BTW I suppose that Sony may be surprised to hear that the PS3 is a Microsoft device ;-)

andyg
2011-11-03, 10:16
audio/L16 is offered for FLAC tracks, so this should work with PS3. I have no way to test this though.

toby10
2011-11-04, 04:37
audio/L16 is offered for FLAC tracks, so this should work with PS3. I have no way to test this though.

It doesn't work with FLAC. PS3 found and connected to LMS just fine and plays mp3's, but it has issues with FLAC.

1. did start playing a FLAC track, but stuttered (played for a few seconds, audio goes away, audio comes back, repeats)
2. PS3 eventually gave a "DLNA protocal error 2101"
3. LMS stopped running (guessing that is the 2101 error)
4. restart LMS and plays mp3's fine

When it was playing FLAC (with stuttering) PS3 displayed PCM as the audio format, which makes sense.

Also won't play wav files with PS3 + LMS (just gives unsupported format error)

WinXP SP3, LMS 7.7.0

AndrewFG
2011-11-04, 10:43
It doesn't work with FLAC. PS3 found and connected to LMS just fine and plays mp3's, but it has issues with FLAC.Hi Toby10, Could you please do me a favour? Could you try Whitebear with your PS3? I think that should work fine. But if not, I bet I can fix it faster anyway ;-)

toby10
2011-11-05, 08:10
Hi Toby10, Could you please do me a favour? Could you try Whitebear with your PS3? I think that should work fine. But if not, I bet I can fix it faster anyway ;-)

Yup, flawless playback of both WAV & FLAC via WB. :)

I wonder how LMS is intended to be used with WAV + UPnP? Ex: PS3 plays WAV natively, but the LMS default is to transcode WAV to FLAC, now FLAC needs another transcoding to audio/L16 to play on PS3?

I suppose one could simply set WAV to Native on LMS for such use. Or, just use your WB front end. ;)

superblast
2011-11-05, 09:46
I finally got a chance to try out Whitebear this morning and I'm able to play flac files on my PS3 now (24/96 files just produce static but 16/44.1 ones play perfectly and album art carries over too). Thank you AndrewFG!

AndrewFG
2011-11-06, 07:46
Or, just use your WB front end.The Whitebear is cool with that ;-)

AndrewFG
2011-11-07, 11:30
I finally got a chance to try out Whitebear this morning and I'm able to play flac files on my PS3 now (24/96 files just produce static but 16/44.1 ones play perfectly and album art carries over too). Thank you AndrewFG!Hi Superblast,

Thank you for the feedback about using Whitebear with your PS3.

You mentioned that it is working with 44.1kHz flacs, but not with higher bit rate flacs. Well, I just built a new test version of Whitebear with new transcoder settings which hopefully does now play higher bitrate flacs.

I sent you a Private Message with the link where you can download it.

Could you please give it a try, and let me know if it works? Also please let me know if I re-introduced any problems with 44.1kHz flacs?

superblast
2011-11-09, 16:32
Could you please give it a try, and let me know if it works? Also please let me know if I re-introduced any problems with 44.1kHz flacs?

So sorry for the delay... it's been a crazy week already. I installed the test package you sent and everything plays great now. I tested various MP3s, and 16/44.1 and 24/96 FLACs and all played great. I'll give it a more thorough listening in the next couple of days and will report back.

Thanks so much for your quick fix!

AndrewFG
2011-11-10, 23:39
So sorry for the delay... it's been a crazy week already. I installed the test package you sent and everything plays great now. I tested various MP3s, and 16/44.1 and 24/96 FLACs and all played great. I'll give it a more thorough listening in the next couple of days and will report back.In that test build you may find that 48000 tracks play back at 44100Hz (i.e. rather slow). I am working on another update that shoould work for all sample rates.

andyg
2011-11-11, 06:18
So I tested LMS + FLAC + PS3 yesterday and to my surprise it just worked (PS3 reported it was playing PCM). My server was running our ARM build.

bluto99
2012-02-07, 21:12
So I tested LMS + FLAC + PS3 yesterday and to my surprise it just worked (PS3 reported it was playing PCM). My server was running our ARM build.

me too, was also very surprised, have LMS running on a DIY Vortexbox I just put together a week ago with current VB software....my PS3 sees the music folders and plays the FLAC's fine, also reports that it is playing PCM but sounds very good

gorman
2012-02-09, 10:11
Would there be any way to play multichannel FLACs?

andyg
2012-02-09, 10:13
Would there be any way to play multichannel FLACs?

Nope, you'd need a better player with native FLAC like an Oppo Blu-ray to do that I think. And I'm not sure if LMS would serve it correctly. I should try sometime...

MrSinatra
2012-02-10, 22:45
so is LMS transcoding the flac to PCM? (which is raw audio, like a wav, right?) i'm just wondering at what stage things happen?

if u had a mp3, and the device did not natively support mp3, would LMS transcode the mp3 to PCM and serve it that way?

is PCM the first option the device tries next if the orig codec/file format isn't natively supported?

andyg
2012-02-13, 16:51
I tried to follow the DLNA spec, which says the server provides 1 or more available formats and the player can choose which one to play, however it wants to select it. So the native format is always offered first, then if the native format is not MP3/PCM already it will list MP3 if LAME is installed, and finally PCM. So a given track may have up to 3 different choices for the player to choose from.

andyg
2012-02-24, 08:46
Well it worked fine for me, I don't know what the problem could be, other than a slow server or slow network. I haven't tried it since the last PS3 update though.

chenrikson
2012-02-25, 08:20
Hey guys -- I can't seem to get my PS3 to find the LMS program. PS3 works fine with Tversity and other servers but no LMS. Yes, they are all up to date. Note that my PS3 is the original "fat" one -- maybe that is the problem??

toby10
2012-02-26, 02:21
No, it works fine on any DLNA player including the older PS3. Is TVersity running at the same time? Might try running just LMS after you turn off any other media server programs, they may be all trying to use the same ports. Reboot LMS (stop then restart) when all other media servers are turned off.

Also make sure the UPnP/DLNA plugin is enabled in LMS > Settings > Plugins

sofgotp
2012-03-29, 22:48
Google search "Step by Step Guide to Successfully Play FLAC on PS3 in High Quality or even Losslessly", you will have your desired answer and solve all your problems of playing FLAC on PS3.