PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox crashes, limits on slimserver load

rm
2004-10-11, 06:04
Hi y'all

I'm using slimserver 5.3.1 running on a 2.0 GHz Pentium with 256 MByte RAM under Win Xp Pro. My music directory contains about 8,500 tracks, all MP3. I got two SB wireless, one is currently connected via wire (for test purposes only). I am trying to determine whether a Slimserver system is suited for commercially used multi-room applications, i.e., is it reliable enough for applications in large private houses where no computer geeks are around to kick it back to life should the music die (for whatever purposes) So far, my experience is that it is NOT. Example: I got one SB playing an internet radio station while I create a playlist of ALL music files in my music directory. All of a sudden the SB playing the internet radio station stops playing and loses contact to the slimserver (so does the other SB). It seems to me that the SLimserver software got its priorities wrong: while I wouldn't mind having to wait a few minutes in the one room I am creating the playlist, it's a clear no-no that neither the music in the other room should stop nor either one of the SBs should lose contact to the Slimserver. Somewhere in the FAQs it is mentioned that up to 12 SBs (or more) could be connected to the Slimserver. What good is this, if the music stops all of a sudden just because someone somewhere in the house is playing with the remote? Maybe I'm doing something totally wrong or this is a real disadvantage of the SLimserver system which I'd find really sad because I do appreciate all the features and possibilities of its open software. Please advise!!

Thanks,

Robert