PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer Radio feeds changed AGAIN

properjob
2011-11-01, 07:05
Rant - FFS BBC why do you keep doing this! I dread the little message "your Plugins have been updated please restart server"

I like listening to BBC feeds and they have useful scrolly info that comes up about the program you're listening to. Except for (I think) the 4th time this year they've changed the URLs.

I now have to go in and update all my favourites in SBS for the 4th time this year.

bpa
2011-11-01, 07:40
This is a not a BBC URL change issue but an update to the iPlayer plugin so that plugin will check the different format feeds to get a working one.

If you don't want automatic updates - uncheck the box in Settings/Plugins

properjob
2011-11-01, 07:47
OK thx for the reply/explanation.

If I stick with the old links the track info stops working so what you've said is not really an option that fits.

I just couldn't understand why a perfectly good 128kbps AAC+ feed kept getting replaced with... another 128kbps AAC+ feed, except with a different URL.

Adding the new links and then rearranging them in my preferred order in the favourites section of SBS is still a ballache though.

bpa
2011-11-01, 08:18
If I stick with the old links the track info stops working so what you've said is not really an option that fits.

Old links with the older version of iPlayer plugin 1.2.0 will still work.

New version of plugin needs new links.

If you uncheck the auto update in the Settings/Plugins you can then control which plugins you want to update and when and so minimise the housekeeping.

properjob
2011-11-01, 08:39
Ah!

I'll say more accurately what happens then - an auto update applies itself, I generally notice when something stops working properly in SBS, I see the little message to re-start the server, I do so and none of the iPlayer "now playing" favourites work correctly any more. Interesting that it doesn't change the URLs, which is what I'd assumed the favourite was pointing at.

Well it's your plugin so no better person to ask questions. I do love the iPlayer plugins - it's one of the things that turns Squeezebox Server into the weapon of choice over pretty much any other network player for me. That's why I spit feathers when the things I like and use it most for stop working for reasons I can't fathom.

So - if I untick auto updates how would I know when best to apply them at a time of my choosing?