http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=666639#post666639

rgro
2011-11-01, 10:22
Later today:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=666639#post666639

It's been released, now.

Ikabob
2011-11-01, 11:25
May I ask some basic questions: is it recommended to update to this new release from the seemingly very stabile latest 7.6.2 r33593 version? What does this Logitech Media Server offer that 7.6.2 does not? Is it compatible with ipeng as well as all the Logitech-supported music service apps?
Thank you.

garym
2011-11-01, 12:01
May I ask some basic questions: is it recommended to update to this new release from the seemingly very stabile latest 7.6.2 r33593 version? What does this Logitech Media Server offer that 7.6.2 does not? Is it compatible with ipeng as well as all the Logitech-supported music service apps?
Thank you.

I don't think it does anything for audio that you don't have with 7.6.2. I can tell you what I'm doing. At the office, I've installed the official 7.7.0 just to play with via SqueezePlay as my player. And it is working fine, with my plugins, spotify, sirius, etc. This said, on my home system, I'll be leaving that on 7.6.2 for a while (until the smoke clears). I only use the audio portion of LMS, so nothing great for me with the additional video, picture scanning....

Mnyb
2011-11-01, 12:18
Not much , MOG support posibility to use multipe music folders ( but that would probably make it crash ).

Some bugfixes over 7.6.2 but if non of the bugs bothered you, there is no need o upgrade.

the big thing is probably the dlna/upnp server functionality for revue and other players ( if it works ) with the added support for pictures and video, but this is often of no greater interest to squeezebox users..

Ikabob
2011-11-01, 12:37
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try it out on an infrequently used pc and keep 7.6.2 on the 24/7 pc.

didjean
2011-11-02, 01:37
I've just installed LMS and can't access the control panel anymore.

My LMS is secured with a login and password. Players and Web UI can be accessed without any problem but not the control panel. It keeps asking me my login and password!

Any idea how can I resolve this?

ChrisGerhard
2011-11-02, 02:36
Dumb user question.

I'm trying to get the new media server 7.7 running on Solaris

Where is the Media::Scan module?

didjean
2011-11-02, 06:01
I've just installed LMS and can't access the control panel anymore.

My LMS is secured with a login and password. Players and Web UI can be accessed without any problem but not the control panel. It keeps asking me my login and password!

Any idea how can I resolve this?

Ok, now I can connect to the control panel: in order to do so, I've been on the Web UI, then in settings, I've disabled temporarly "secure with a password".

But now that I can connect to the control panel, I can't start LMS on system start up. It keeps change my setting to "Don't start automatically LMS"

rbz5416
2011-11-02, 07:34
But now that I can connect to the control panel, I can't start LMS on system start up. It keeps change my setting to "Don't start automatically LMS"Try running it as administrator by finding it in the program menu, right clicking & select "Run as administrator". If you don't do this then the service is never installed & so can't start. At least that was the case for SBS under W7, Vista & WHS.

jarome
2011-11-02, 07:49
Issues with the upgrade:

1. When I upgrade my server software, it forgets all the settings on my Squeeze devices (I have 7 of them). It is particularly annoying to have to redo the menu items every time, especially because the interface is so very sucky. Why can't the menu items scroll? I.e., when an item is at the bottom, why won't the down arrow put it at the top? Or better yet allow drag and drop to rearrange them?

2. On OS X Lion, the preferences pane said there was an upgrade available, but after 2 tries, it did not install.

3. Why change the server name yet again? This caused me to uninstall the old version on my Linux machine, which might have killed the preferences in #1 above. But in /etc/init.d, it still seems to be called squeezeboxserver. I spent some time looking for a different name...

4. It would be really good to give us some instructions on how to take advantage of mew features, and what they are. The release notes are useless for this. Like what is MOG? What does "Connect to Logitech media Server" do?
If the squeezeboxserver is now exposed as a Media Server, What hardware/software can I use to access it this way? Do I need to open new firewall ports?

Jim

didjean
2011-11-02, 07:54
Ok, now I can connect to the control panel: in order to do so, I've been on the Web UI, then in settings, I've disabled temporarly "secure with a password".

But now that I can connect to the control panel, I can't start LMS on system start up. It keeps change my setting to "Don't start automatically LMS"

Ok, solved... It was just a matter to run LMS in Admin mode (Window7). It than accepts the changes

didjean
2011-11-02, 07:57
Try running it as administrator by finding it in the program menu, right clicking & select "Run as administrator". If you don't do this then the service is never installed & so can't start. At least that was the case for SBS under W7, Vista & WHS.

Thx!, I've just found this! I forgot this bloody Run as administrator thing on Windows! :-)

FredFredrickson
2011-11-02, 08:41
Ok so- I had the same password problem. The standard control panel does not work with my password, but I can access the web interface. No biggie, the regular control panel is redundant anyway.

As far as features, it's obvious they released this to coincide with the Google TV 2 update for the revue, because now we can stream video from this. The question is: Will we be seeing a merger of television upnp and squeezebox playback?

SqueezeboxTV perhaps? the SB touch with video? I will fork over all of my money

Mnyb
2011-11-02, 09:16
Issues with the upgrade:

1. When I upgrade my server software, it forgets all the settings on my Squeeze devices (I have 7 of them). It is particularly annoying to have to redo the menu items every time, especially because the interface is so very sucky. Why can't the menu items scroll? I.e., when an item is at the bottom, why won't the down arrow put it at the top? Or better yet allow drag and drop to rearrange them?

2. On OS X Lion, the preferences pane said there was an upgrade available, but after 2 tries, it did not install.

3. Why change the server name yet again? This caused me to uninstall the old version on my Linux machine, which might have killed the preferences in #1 above. But in /etc/init.d, it still seems to be called squeezeboxserver. I spent some time looking for a different name...

4. It would be really good to give us some instructions on how to take advantage of mew features, and what they are. The release notes are useless for this. Like what is MOG? What does "Connect to
Logitech media Server" do?
If the squeezeboxserver is now exposed as a Media Server, What hardware/software can I use to access it this way? Do I need to open new firewall ports?

Jim

It is possible to install LMS7.7 over SBS7.6 all settings will be preserved in Linux, the LMS package obseletes the SBS package , as you figured lms is a cosmetic name change so it reuses tha same user and this does not upset any permissions. this was smooth.

the squeezecenter to squeezeboxserver name change was more troublesome on linux it wrecked a lot of things, so they made it really easy this time.

socistep
2011-11-02, 09:34
Ok so- I had the same password problem. The standard control panel does not work with my password, but I can access the web interface. No biggie, the regular control panel is redundant anyway.

As far as features, it's obvious they released this to coincide with the Google TV 2 update for the revue, because now we can stream video from this. The question is: Will we be seeing a merger of television upnp and squeezebox playback?

SqueezeboxTV perhaps? the SB touch with video? I will fork over all of my money

Unsure of what any plans are, however I did notice that the download page on mysqueezebox.com now refers to Revue and has lines between that and a SB player..

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

sebp
2011-11-02, 10:10
Dumb user question.

I'm trying to get the new media server 7.7 running on Solaris

Where is the Media::Scan module?
You need to compile it from source.
Get the source from the SVN repository, it comes with a script to build all dependencies.

erland
2011-11-02, 10:20

Hopefully it's at least the last name change, they can't get much more generic than Logitech Media Service as long as it's owned by Logitech.

4. It would be really good to give us some instructions on how to take advantage of mew features, and what they are. The release notes are useless for this. Like what is MOG? What does "Connect to Logitech media Server" do?

MOG: http://mog.com/
(But it's not activated yet, will be activated sometime during next week as I've understood)

For the other features the main news are:
- Possibility to setup multiple music folders
- Possibility to connect any hardware or software UPnP client. This basically means that you can play and/or control music, video, pictures via software like Foobar, WMP, PlugPlayer or via hardware UPnP clients like Xbox 360, Logitech Revue and similar. Main interest from Logitech perspective is to improve music, video and picture browsing on their Logitech Revue hardware.

The following Wikipedia page will give you some kind of indication what UPnP clients there are, just note that all might not work perfectly together with LMS because the testing has been focused on Logitech Revue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients

StitchJones
2011-11-02, 11:49
I'm having a rather small issue with LMS 7.7 and my Squeezebox Classic. When, using the older squeezeboxserver-versions, it was connected to the server but switched off, the display showed date and time. Now it is black, nothing is on it, till i switch it on. Bug or feature? (Or somehow my fault?)

Mnyb
2011-11-02, 11:55
I'm having a rather small issue with LMS 7.7 and my Squeezebox Classic. When it was connected to the server but switched off, the display showed date and time. Now it is black, nothing is on it, till i switch it on. Bug or feature? (Or somehow my fault?)

it can be some screensaver setting that got reset in the upgrade process ( or by mysqueezebox.com ).

or just restart the player ( the old ip3k players needs a powercyckle now and then ).

Xilink reset or factory reset.

(factory resetting a classic is not such a big deal as all it's setting are remebered by the server anyway, once it's back on the server it shouldmpick up it's settings )

StitchJones
2011-11-02, 12:06
it can be some screensaver setting that got reset in the upgrade process ( or by mysqueezebox.com ).

or just restart the player ( the old ip3k players needs a powercyckle now and then ).

Xilink reset or factory reset.

(factory resetting a classic is not such a big deal as all it's setting are remebered by the server anyway, once it's back on the server it shouldmpick up it's settings )

Factory reset plus restart of mediaserver-service via shell did the trick. Thanks a lot!

jmschnur
2011-11-02, 13:20
This let me play music from my server through my integra 80.2 flac files.

didjean
2011-11-02, 15:11
Well my issues are not yet over: now no Squeezebox Ipad apps work: ipeng, nor Squeezepad or the official one!

It seems more of a firewall problem, I've tried many different things but can't find a solution... Yet!

didjean
2011-11-02, 16:41
Well my issues are not yet over: now no Squeezebox Ipad apps work: ipeng, nor Squeezepad or the official one!

It seems more of a firewall problem, I've tried many different things but can't find a solution... Yet!

and I really don't know why, it suddently works back ! Hope this will last...

Mnyb
2011-11-02, 22:09
and I really don't know why, it suddently works back ! Hope this will last...

Weird issue, I have used all of the 7.7 betas without any kind of conectivity problems with anything.
i have iPeng SqueezePad and the logitech app.

didjean
2011-11-03, 00:08
Weird issue, I have used all of the 7.7 betas without any kind of conectivity problems with anything.
i have iPeng SqueezePad and the logitech app.

I suspect it was due more to my computer settings than to LMS.

slate
2011-11-03, 00:48
I suspect it was due more to my computer settings than to LMS.

or router; have you reserved IP adresses for all your equipment in your router?

didjean
2011-11-03, 04:27
or router; have you reserved IP adresses for all your equipment in your router?

for some players yes, for some others no.

pbroughton
2011-11-03, 14:23
My ‘only’ server until now has been on one of my XP Desktops. Installed version 7.7 the other day without any issues, except three tries to finish the scan – never a problem in all the other versions.

Then, using the XP Laptop the next day, comes the ‘Discovery’ message box, claiming to have Discovered the Logitech Media Server! I guess I wasn’t expecting this. Also can be seen/used on the Win7 laptop. When “Invoked,” I now see that I have a Server on each of my computers – a gift horse for sure.

Seems to work ok from each computer, even the SoundBridge Radios are ok with this, although, being old like me, insist they are connected to, “SlimServer” – what ever that is…..

Should I have been surprised by this? Anyway, it seems to be fun so far….

realcodeguy
2011-11-03, 19:46
Trying to install LMS on a MediaSmart 485ex (WHS) and I'm getting the error unable to start service squeezesvc. Only option is to retry or cancel. Retry doesn't help and cancel aborts the install. Any idea?

mlsstl
2011-11-03, 20:21
For what it's worth, installing LMS 7.7 on a Linux Fedora Core 12 box went smoothly with no apparent problems. This was an update to 7.6.2. Haven't tried everything, but the scan ran quickly (about the same as 7.6 which was much faster than 7.5 and prior), found the whole library and it sees all three players (Touch, Radio & SB3) and the controller. All the songs I've played so far seem fine and internet radio works.

Knock on wood, but this may be one of the easier updates I've done.

rbz5416
2011-11-04, 02:48
Trying to install LMS on a MediaSmart 485ex (WHS) and I'm getting the error unable to start service squeezesvc. Only option is to retry or cancel. Retry doesn't help and cancel aborts the install. Any idea?Right click & run the .exe as administrator & untick the safe box? Just guessing based on the previous need to install a service as administrator & it sounds like LMS is trying to install the service during install.

GreenGrass
2011-11-05, 06:03
Hopefully it's at least the last name change, they can't get much more generic than Logitech Media Service as long as it's owned by Logitech.

For the other features the main news are:
- Possibility to setup multiple music folders
- Possibility to connect any hardware or software UPnP client. This basically means that you can play and/or control music, video, pictures via software like Foobar, WMP, PlugPlayer or via hardware UPnP clients like Xbox 360, Logitech Revue and similar. Main interest from Logitech perspective is to improve music, video and picture browsing on their Logitech Revue hardware.

The following Wikipedia page will give you some kind of indication what UPnP clients there are, just note that all might not work perfectly together with LMS because the testing has been focused on Logitech Revue.

This is all very exciting. Has anyone been able to get the newly released LMS to work with an Xbox 360? I went through the Xbox menus and did not find the LMS advertised to select it. I was, however, able to get the LMS to work with my Oppo BDP-93; and it worked very well. I have the Xbox and the Oppo in different rooms.

MeSue
2011-11-05, 08:43
Trying to install LMS on a MediaSmart 485ex (WHS) and I'm getting the error unable to start service squeezesvc. Only option is to retry or cancel. Retry doesn't help and cancel aborts the install. Any idea?

I get that a lot on my WHS, but usually retry works. It seems to take a longer time to start than what the installer waits. Try giving it some time before pressing retry. Note: I haven't attempted 7.7 yet, but have had this with prior versions.

realcodeguy
2011-11-06, 11:21
I get that a lot on my WHS, but usually retry works. It seems to take a longer time to start than what the installer waits. Try giving it some time before pressing retry. Note: I haven't attempted 7.7 yet, but have had this with prior versions.

Actually, I had to manually remove the old add-in via registry edit and manually delete the SqueezeBox folders under app data and progam files. Then and only then was I able to get 7.7 installed. My guess is that when I uninstalled 7.6.2 it didn't succeed and therefore the 7.7 install was having troubles.

cvj
2011-11-07, 20:19
MOG: http://mog.com/
(But it's not activated yet, will be activated sometime during next week as I've understood)
[/url]

Erland - weirdly, the MOG app showed up on the Logitech Media Server webpage a few minuted ago. I installed it and then I tried to sign in with my MOG account usernam/pwd... and then the app disappeared :-()

Don't know what is going on, but perhaps it is about to be released.

MeSue
2011-11-07, 21:16
Erland - weirdly, the MOG app showed up on the Logitech Media Server webpage a few minuted ago. I installed it and then I tried to sign in with my MOG account usernam/pwd... and then the app disappeared :-()

Don't know what is going on, but perhaps it is about to be released.

I'm seeing now in mysqueezebox.com

cvj
2011-11-07, 22:53
I'm seeing now in mysqueezebox.com

Yes, it popped back up - but it wil;l not accept my MOG username/password.
It also shows on iPeng on my iPad - but again same problem logging in.

Must be a "Work in Progress" this evening - but perhaps I have the distinction of being the first to observe this :-)

erland
2011-11-07, 23:07
Yes, it popped back up - but it wil;l not accept my MOG username/password.
It also shows on iPeng on my iPad - but again same problem logging in.

Must be a "Work in Progress" this evening - but perhaps I have the distinction of being the first to observe this :-)

MOG support is now released:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=668413#post668413

BalooDK
2011-11-13, 05:04
I have LMS 7.7.1 running on my Mac Mini and it works fine when i keep it on standard port 9000, but i need it to run on another port or it will mess up my Twonky server.

When i change the port in LMS, the server won't start, and i can't get back to port 9000 without uninstalling and then install again :(

the nightfly
2011-11-16, 18:55
I see a number of people here are sticking with 7.6.2. The problem is, I just checked and found that I haven't updated since 7.6.1 r33110 and, when I try to find 7.6.2, can only find a link to Logitech saying that it "will not be released." Is there any way I can download 7.6.2 and, if not, would you recommend I upgrade to LMS or stick with 7.6.1?

aubuti
2011-11-16, 19:04
It won't be released, but here's where to find it: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeboxServer_v7.6.2_unreleased/

Are there particular bugs you're experiencing with 7.6.1?

mherger
2011-11-16, 23:12
> I see a number of people here are sticking with 7.6.2. The problem is,
> I just checked and found that I haven't updated since 7.6.1 r33110 and,
> when I try to find 7.6.2, can only find a link to Logitech saying that
> it "will not be released." Is there any way I can download 7.6.2 and,
> if not, would you recommend I upgrade to LMS or stick with 7.6.1?

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeboxServer_v7.6.2_unreleased/

--

Michael

the nightfly
2011-11-17, 00:29
It won't be released, but here's where to find it: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeboxServer_v7.6.2_unreleased/

Are there particular bugs you're experiencing with 7.6.1?
No, 7.6.1 is working fine for me at the moment. I just thought then general recommendation was to go with 7.6.2. Or does it offer so little improvement, it would be better not to bother?

toby10
2011-11-17, 02:53
No, 7.6.1 is working fine for me at the moment. I just thought then general recommendation was to go with 7.6.2. Or does it offer so little improvement, it would be better not to bother?

7.6.2 offers bug fixes for 7.6.1, so unless one of those fixed bugs are affecting you I wouldn't bother.
I think what aubuti is saying is "If it ain't broke......."

Ikabob
2011-11-17, 03:02
FWIW, I am finding LMS 7.7.1 r33707 very fine and it adds MOG support which I am liking more and more.

thewamp
2011-12-10, 21:40
Not much , MOG support posibility to use multipe music folders ( but that would probably make it crash ).

Some bugfixes over 7.6.2 but if non of the bugs bothered you, there is no need o upgrade.

the big thing is probably the dlna/upnp server functionality for revue and other players ( if it works ) with the added support for pictures and video, but this is often of no greater interest to squeezebox users..

I just received the update to Android 3.1 for my Logitech Revue. Also, I downloaded LMS 7.0.0 to my PC with built in Wi-Fi.

The "My Media" tab at the mysqueezebox.com/download site
shows that LMS can be used to stream music and video to the Revue. I need help to get this feature setup and will appreciate any help that I can get from users.