PDA

View Full Version : CBS Radio app (US only)

andyg
2011-10-28, 06:59
We've added a simple app to work around the recent insanity where TuneIn was forced to remove all of CBS's radio streams from their radio index. So, if you need to find any CBS stations, you can add this app.

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery/CBSRadio

mbonsack
2011-10-28, 10:29
We've added a simple app to work around the recent insanity where TuneIn was forced to remove all of CBS's radio streams from their radio index. So, if you need to find any CBS stations, you can add this app.

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery/CBSRadio

This is great, but now when I set radio presets I just get MP3-64 (the stream I've selected) for the station call letters and the Antenna station art rather than the actual station call letters/artwork (like KNX in LA and WXRT in Chicago). Is there any metadata at all transmitted via this app?

Thanks! -mark

andyg
2011-10-28, 11:11
CBS provides the stream listing and are responsible for the stream title choices and lack of metadata.

moontheme
2011-11-10, 17:04
Thanks alot Andy

IrwinGJr
2011-12-12, 21:57
My squeezebox says to use the CBS Radio APP for WNEW.COM, but it is not listed with any of the NY stations. It was a HD2 for Fresh102.7 in NYC, but that station has only 1 feed. Suggestions or resolution?

WalterKlein
2011-12-18, 14:58
My wife has threatened multiple times to throw out our kitchen squeezebox since we lost access to her favorite CBS radio stations. The app works great and marital harmony has been restored.

Cheers,

-W

tdad
2012-04-19, 19:33
My squeezebox says to use the CBS Radio APP for WNEW.COM, but it is not listed with any of the NY stations. It was a HD2 for Fresh102.7 in NYC, but that station has only 1 feed. Suggestions or resolution?

Logitech - Do you plan on updating the CBS radio app to include the new WNEW 99.1 news station in Washington, DC / Maryland.

bwaldron
2012-04-19, 20:39
Logitech - Do you plan on updating the CBS radio app to include the new WNEW 99.1 news station in Washington, DC / Maryland.

I'm not Logitech...but now that CBS has reached an agreement with TuneIn, that channel is available via the standard Internet Radio feature (and/or the TuneIn app).

RST
2012-08-13, 13:42
I notice this thread hasn't shown activity in awhile, but I'm still hoping I'll get a reply. I own two Squeezebox radios and I'm a big fan, they are absolutely the best wi-fi radios on the market. But while the CBS Radio app is useful, it has a couple shortcomings. The lack of metadata is an easy workaround since you can edit the info for preset stations, but I was wondering... it is possible for Logitech to add the CBS station's AAC streams? I know they exsist from CBS because I still have a couple of the AAC streams bookmarked. Unfortunately CBS's mp3 streams are encoded at 22khz, rendering pretty mediocre sound quality. AAC streams offer higher audio quality on most devices such as the Squeezebox, and at typically lower bitrates. Is this issue Logitech's to add to the app, or CBS Radio?

The AAC subject can also be an entirely new topic where TuneIn is concerned. While TuneIn is without a doubt the best radio station database around, there are many quirks where their Squeezebox search is concerned. When you conduct a search with the Squeezebox, if an mp3 stream plays by default, when you go to the "TuneIn Radio Options/Choose Stream" selection, the AAC streams are not even listed as options, even though the particular station does indeed offer AAC streams and are available on other TuneIn apps, such as the Android/iTunes/Blackberry phone app. If Logitech wants the customer experience to be the absolute best and to sell more radios they need to get TuneIn to fix this bug. I have figured out how to locate most of the AAC streams that the stations offer, but 99% of the users out there assume it is an issue with the radio when the first thing they hear is a poor sounding 32kbps, 22khz mp3 stream. AAC, when available, should be the default stream for any station a Squeezebox user tunes to, and AAC should definitely be listed under the "Choose Stream" option when a station has it available because hands down AAC offers the best sound quality on a Squeezebox.

I hope I'm making some sense with this. I think assuring AAC streams are the default when available might get rid of some of the Amazon and other customer reviews I've read that include comments about poor sound quality. The audio quality of the Squeezebox is outstanding - as long as the source is a quality one. Logitech, for their own good, needs to take advantage of AAC streams when they are available, and currently TuneIn is not executing this in many cases. Thanks for listening.