PDA

View Full Version : Missing Genre and Groupings Tags in Server

jmgtr8
2011-10-24, 11:21
I’m new to the Squeezebox Server, and am having trouble getting it to recognize some tags. I’ve ripped my CDs into WAV files using iTunes and have had to enter some tags manually. For example, iTunes frequently does not pick up Genre and never gets Groupings (which I want to use as another music classifier). I enter the missing values manually in iTunes and my iTunes Music lists shows many different values for Genre and Groupings. But in the SBS Web Remote Control Viewer and on the Touch screen there are only three values for Genre (“POP”, “CLASSICAL”, and “NO GENRE”), and the Groupings tag doesn’t show up at all. Any suggestions on how to get SBS and my Touch to use these tags and/or a pointer to Squeezebox Server documentation would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

aubuti
2011-10-24, 11:29
I suspect what is happening is that iTunes isn't writing tags to your WAV files at all. Rather it is probably storing the metadata in the iTunes database. There aren't that many programs that write tags to WAV files in a semi-standard way -- the only one I've heard of that does is Tag & Rename.

Any particular reason why you're using WAV instead of a compressed lossless format? You'll probably have fewer tagging headaches with Apple Lossless or FLAC.

jmgtr8
2011-10-24, 15:55
Thanks Abuti for the reply. I looked but could not find anything in my iTunes media folder that could be identified as a separate file for metadata. Could it be that SBS recognizes some of the tags from iTunes, just not all the ones I want? There is an interesting SBS setting that may be relevant: “Advanced/Advanced Settings/Advanced/Guess Tags Formats”, but it’s not obvious how to use it. By playing with this setting, SBS began to populate Genre, although with garbage. Is there somewhere to learn more about this setting?
It’s good to know that SLAC may be a solution to the tagging problem. I originally selected WAV because my Android phone supported it and possiby not SLAC and now have several hundred WAV encoded albums. I would like a better understanding of the problem before giving up on WAV.
Jim

aubuti
2011-10-24, 16:15
I only use iTunes (grudgingly) to load music on my iPod Touch, so I don't know that much about it. In general I keep it as far away from SBS as possible. Doesn't iTunes store it's library information in library.xml? At least that was my understanding, but maybe that is only the file location information.

First, do you have iTunes integration selected in SBS? If so, do you need it?

Second, the "guess tags formats" is a way for SBS to infer the metadata information from the folder names and filenames in your library, instead of from tags. It works well, but _only_ if your file and folder names are both informative and consistent. Especially consistent. If you don't have a consistent naming scheme -- or if the naming scheme doesn't include certain fields that you want (eg, genre) -- then it won't help you.

jmgtr8
2011-10-25, 21:46
Thanks again for your help Aubuti. My CDs are now all in the folder structure arranged by iTunes when they were ripped: …iTunes Media/Music/Artist name/Album title/Song title. I can sort of see how the several lines under SBS formatting may be interpreting this. Do I understand that SBS and my Touch may recognize Genre and Groupings by reorganizing the folder structure and/or the Guess Tags Formats?
Jim

aubuti
2011-10-25, 21:58
Yes, that is correct, presuming that by "reorganizing the folder structure" you mean _you_ doing that reorganization, not SBS. Unlike iTunes, SBS will never muck with your folder structure (I realize that one can tell iTunes not to muck with it).

One possible problem area is compilation albums (aka Various Artists). If I remember correctly, iTunes likes to put tracks from compilation albums in the folders for each particular artist, so that the tracks for a compilation album may be spread across several folders. SBS likes to have those tracks together. I use the SBS approach, and iTunes accepts that as well.

Pascal Hibon
2011-11-07, 01:20
I also use iTunes and Wav format. ITunes does not write tags to Wav files. Instead it keeps the info into its own database. That is fine if you use the iTunes plugin in SBS. This plugin retrieves all info from the iTunes XML file. Genre should be available (and correct) in SBS. The grouping field isn't picked up by the plugin so you won't have that info in SBS.
The iTunes plugin had some issues in version 7.6 and 7.6.1. You best run 7.6.2. I have no idea how things are with 7.7.

Pascal Hibon
2011-11-07, 01:26
One possible problem area is compilation albums (aka Various Artists). If I remember correctly, iTunes likes to put tracks from compilation albums in the folders for each particular artist, so that the tracks for a compilation album may be spread across several folders. SBS likes to have those tracks together. I use the SBS approach, and iTunes accepts that as well.

When iTunes is configured to organize your library it will store all tracks of a compilation album under Compilations\Album. This is how I prefer it.

jmgtr8
2011-11-29, 21:32
Thanks for all the useful input. I’ve been away for past month and am just now refocusing on my SBS issues. My problem of seeing all 50 of my Genre values in iTunes but seeing only two or three values in SBS was solved, as follows:
1)Set Avanced Settings|iTunes|iTunes Music Library.xml Location to (path) iTunes Music Library.xml
2) Remove reference to my Media Folder from Advanced Setting|Media Folders (leave it blank)
I’m not clear on why this worked. It appears that the .xml file provides both Genre information and media file pointers to SBS. Giving SBS the .xml file and the media file location directly does not work. The .xml file seems to have much of the other information that is captured by iTunes, such as “comments” that SBS still does not see.
Jim