PDA

View Full Version : iTunes (Win)/ iPad2 question

pski
2011-10-22, 18:26
I've got a friend (NO, it's not me- I can't afford an iPad2) uses iTunes for playback on their PC. This is not an issue because the PC is underneath the TV and the rest of the audio (city of tiny lights - david bowie.)

Is it possible for the iPad to (with an iTunes like interface) control the playback on the PC?

This sort of thing is nowhere in the Apple help and right now, the iPad is registered and shows up as a music source on the PC but the only intelligence shown by iTunes on the iPad2 is that it knows about previous iTunes purchases. There is no music on the iPad2 but it is desperately trying to sell some. There is no "PLAY" button evident.

Perhaps installing the new "over the air" version of ios will help but try finding how to do that in the help: all sorts of warnings but no howto.

P

A VNC like solution would not utilize the touch, eh?

pippin
2011-10-22, 18:54
It's called "Apple Remote" and controls iTunes.
Search the App Store for it.

pski
2011-10-22, 19:14
It's called "Apple Remote" and controls iTunes.
Search the App Store for it.

Thx. Is this Apple or real world?

I ask this because having to add something so basic (to the SBS universe) seems to show that there are places in the APPLE universe where: 1. Things are not so intuitive, or 2. Despite the cult of Jobs, APPLE is <no, not a> little stupid about designing useful things.

Did you find that in the HELP?

P

Ron Olsen
2011-10-22, 22:29
The Apple Remote app (running on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch) can only be used to control an Apple TV, with iTunes as the server.

yannyb
2011-10-23, 00:21
The Apple Remote app (running on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch) can only be used to control an Apple TV, with iTunes as the server.

Unless its changed recently this isn't the case. I used to control my iTunes playback on my mac mini with thec remote app on iPhone...

Ron Olsen
2011-10-23, 04:39
Unless its changed recently this isn't the case. I used to control my iTunes playback on my mac mini with thec remote app on iPhone...
This is correct. Sorry for the error in my previous post.

The Apple Remote app can control iTunes and direct output to the computer running iTunes or to Airplay-connected speakers in addition to output on and control of Apple TV.

pippin
2011-10-23, 05:13
Thx. Is this Apple or real world?

I ask this because having to add something so basic (to the SBS universe) seems to show that there are places in the APPLE universe where: 1. Things are not so intuitive, or 2. Despite the cult of Jobs, APPLE is little stupid about designing useful things.

Did you find that in the HELP?

I was there when they announced it.
It was one of the show cases they made for the App Store, at the time they wanted people to explore the App Store so they put what otherwise have been a default feature there.

It was a different time, back then, in the old ages, more than three years ago :)

pski
2011-10-23, 14:41
Thanks y'all,

First I have to get the ios 5 upgrade sussed.

I highly appreciate the prompt and spirited response.

Paul

Oh, I have to ask: Does Apple Remote on the Ipad2 look like the iTunes interface? (I am so hoping.)(I am so hoping it can be configured.)

Ron Olsen
2011-10-23, 15:54
Thanks y'all,
Oh, I have to ask: Does Apple Remote on the Ipad2 look like the iTunes interface? (I am so hoping.)(I am so hoping it can be configured.)

Yes.

pippin
2011-10-23, 16:03
Yes.

???
No. It does NOT look like iTunes. And no, it can NOT be configured, it only has a single look.

pski
2011-10-23, 16:28
???
No. It does NOT look like iTunes. And no, it can NOT be configured, it only has a single look.

So it's retarded like Squeezeplay?

Ron Olsen
2011-10-23, 16:54
???
The iPad2 Remote app sure looks like iTunes to me:

pippin
2011-10-23, 18:03
Oh, yes. That one view (albums) is similar, even though it behaves differently from iTunes.

However, Artist, Genres and Composers look pretty different.
And even Albums is only the same if you use grid view, because cover Flow (and the full track list it shows), the track view (for albums, sorted by album), and the content-by-album view are missing.

So are filters which are the single one thing iTunes does better than some other music management tools.

None of these on iPad:

pippin
2011-10-23, 18:03
The Apple remote is completely modeled after the Music Player on the iPad, and here even the old one (the new one has filters which the Apple remote does not). It's use is quite different from iTunes'