PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace the SB3....which?

Lewis Moon
2011-10-20, 17:25
Well, First android tablet and Squeezecommander.

a Beresford TC-7520 DAC .

Mnyb
2011-10-20, 17:45
You don't have that much of a choice, if you want to buy a new player .
It is the Touch .

Neither SB3 or duet (receiver+controller) is manufactured anymore may still exist on some sites.
Touch is also showing up at discount prices here and there, so you can grab one for the same kind of money as an SB3 was back in the day.

Or buy used then another SB3 would be the first choice, reciever is hampered by not having any UI on the player at all, so setup and maintenance would be unnecessary complicated and the controller is needed for setup officially.

But I'll go with Touch anyway , it supports more formats natively on the player including 24/96 and AAC ,many radio stations are shifting to AAC streaming and native spotify support . And any future app or format will not be developed for the old kind of player. It also sounds better .
The SB2/3/reciever tech is a bit old nowadays.

I do think the SB3 is more stylish and a design statement so I'll keep mine in the closet

Lewis Moon
2011-10-20, 18:04
I wondered about In this day and age no reason view space . When

Mnyb
2011-10-20, 18:11
The touch scren is neat for the initial setup a on screen keyboard for the wifi password is a blessing

The capacitive touch screen is the same as in many simpler phones and not a very expensive one, the vfd in sb3 cost more , so you paid more for the display when you bougth the sb3...

JJZolx
2011-10-20, 18:43
I wondered about the tough set up w/o display. To be honest, yes the touch looks like the right choice, but I really would rather NOT have the display. In this day and age I see no reason to have another display cluttering up the view space when it can be controlled by other units. When my SB3 display went dead I hid the unit behind the receiver and liked it that way.

Uhhh... if you hide it behind another component, what difference does it make?

You can also set all of the screensavers (while playing, while inactive, while off) to a blank screen (it actually turns the display off). The screen will then only be active when you use the remote or the touchscreen. If you use some other user interface, it should never display anything.

Lewis Moon
2011-10-20, 20:39
Uhhh... if you hide it behind another component, what difference does it make?

You can also set all of the screensavers (while playing, while inactive, while off) to a blank screen (it actually turns the display off). The screen will then only be active when you use the remote or the touchscreen. If you use some other user interface, it should never display anything.

Uhh...small things

JJZolx
2011-10-21, 01:51
Uhh...small things hide much easier than big things. I only have so much space. I guess I really want the Duet. With pretty much ALL of the new video, etc units (roku) being designed with a small set top box and on screen set up, I wonder why Logitech is still bucking the trend and going with such a large unit. Really, the touch screen is redundant.

Whatever. Buy a Duet then.

Mnyb
2011-10-21, 01:57
used then, or is there stock somewhere ?

garym
2011-10-21, 04:03
Uhh...small things hide much easier than big things. I only have so much space. I guess I really want the Duet. With pretty much ALL of the new video, etc units (roku) being designed with a small set top box and on screen set up, I wonder why Logitech is still bucking the trend and going with such a large unit. Really, the touch screen is redundant.

It would be horrible if I had to have my SB players near and/or connected to a TV in order to setup, etc. p.s. remove the "stand" from the TOUCH lay it on its side and it becomes about as small as the duet.

aubuti
2011-10-21, 08:43
It would be horrible if I had to have my SB players near and/or connected to a TV in order to setup, etc. p.s. remove the "stand" from the TOUCH lay it on its side and it becomes about as small as the duet.
+1
Fortunately, the Touch's stand is attached with screws, so it comes off a lot easier than hacksawing the stand off of an SB3. You can even lay the Touch face down and you'll have a very discreet, low-profile device. And you'll never know it has a redundant touchscreen.

maggior
2011-10-21, 09:22
To remove the stand on the Touch, you need a Torx driver though, don't you? I don't think the screw heads are standard phillips heads.

garym
2011-10-21, 09:23
To remove the stand on the Touch, you need a Torx driver though, don't you? I don't think the screw heads are standard phillips heads.

appears so from looking at mine.

maggior
2011-10-21, 09:41
Apparently it's a #10 TORX head.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=540034&postcount=15