PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a Mac Mini G4 as a Squeezebox server?

djc45
2011-10-20, 06:53
Hi,
I have a Mac Mini PPC G4, it is a 1.42ghz model, and was wondering if I would be able to use that to run my squeezeserver.
I am thinking that this would be cheaper to keep running all the time than my main PC.

Also, is it possible to run squeezeplay on a mac of this spec? ATM I have my main pc running squeezeserver, and also have squeezeplay on it so that it shows up as another player in ipeng on my ipad that I use to control the different squeezeboxes in the house.. I would like to continue doing this if I moved the squeezeserver over to the mac mini.

Have any of you successfully done this?

Would I be better running these on my mac, or installing something like vortexbox on the mac mini instead.

I`d appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Duncan

andyg
2011-10-20, 06:55
Yes, we support running the server on a PPC Mac.

flattermann
2011-10-20, 07:04
That works fine.

Until a month ago, my SBS was running on a MacMini G4 1.3Ghz running Debian Linux.

The speed was totally sufficient for SBS, I just had a HDD crash on the MacMini and then switched to an Atom based Linux server, because I also wanted to be able to decode Videos on this box (it's connected to my TV).

Edit: I haven't tried SqueezePlay on it but I think there are PPC Linux packages for SqueezePlay as well. (You may want to check that first.)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

garym
2011-10-20, 07:04
Would I be better running these on my mac, or installing something like vortexbox on the mac mini instead.

I`d appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Duncan

yes, there is a squeezeplay download for the Mac. And keep in mind that Vortexbox takes over your entire OS, so you'd no longer have the Mac OS available....

See bottom of this page:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.6

dpaws
2012-03-06, 15:13
Guys... Can I replace the harddrive in my Mac Mini with a new one and load up Vortexbox to create a dedicated music server? What driver issues would I face in Linux (I'm not familiar) for the hardware incorporated on the Mac motherboard?

Cheers, Steve

andynormancx
2012-03-06, 15:23
Vortex Box is based on Fedora, which can be made to run on an Intel Mac Mini:

http://slimnet.home.xs4all.nl/guide-install-F13-on-the-new-2010-macmini.html

However, it might be easier to run OSX on it and run VortexBox in an VirtualBox virtual machine...

garym
2012-03-06, 15:38
Guys... Can I replace the harddrive in my Mac Mini with a new one and load up Vortexbox to create a dedicated music server? What driver issues would I face in Linux (I'm not familiar) for the hardware incorporated on the Mac motherboard?

Cheers, Steve

i'd ask over here for more specific info:

http://vortexbox.org/forum/

dpaws
2012-03-06, 15:39
Thanks Andy - I'm chewing over some ideas, the idea to use the Mini as a well sorted casing and motherboard, ditch the OSX and create a Sonore / SMS1000 type Vortexbox standalone server...

I'd need two cases, the other to fit a dedicated sound card which is where it all starts to get complicated :)

Much obliged

dpaws
2012-03-06, 16:15
Top links Guys - many thank - isn't the net ruddy marvelous!!!

(Bi-polar on a manic, reinventing the wheel in music servers!)

pski
2012-03-06, 18:49
Why would you want to use LMS when apple solutions are totally perfect?

cunobelinus
2012-03-07, 01:12
On 7 Mar 2012, at 01:49, pski wrote:

>
> Why would you want to use LMS when apple solutions are totally perfect?
>
>
> --
> pski
>

Do you think so? What a pleasant surprise to see you're still here, then.

gharris999
2012-03-07, 10:13
On 7 Mar 2012, at 01:49, pski wrote:

>
> Why would you want to use LMS when apple solutions are totally perfect?
>
>
> --
> pski
>

Do you think so? What a pleasant surprise to see you're still here, then.Heh! Do you have a background in diplomacy? Or, like me, have you been watching too much Downton Abbey?