PDA

View Full Version : Vortexbox question

paul44birch
2011-10-16, 04:49
I currently store and access my music from an old HP PC running windows xp and am looking at other options so that I can move away from the PC (not having running all the time). All CDs are currently ripped via db poweramp.

I have looked into the vortexbox which seems a good solution, however if I want to remove my PC how do I access squeezeserver which is loaded onto my pc. This is where I can view all my albums, make playlists etc (but it is very slow).

I use my Sony laptop for daily use and it would be great to access everything from here. Is that possible?

kidstypike
2011-10-16, 05:08
I currently store and access my music from an old HP PC running windows xp and am looking at other options so that I can move away from the PC (not having running all the time). All CDs are currently ripped via db poweramp.

I have looked into the vortexbox which seems a good solution, however if I want to remove my PC how do I access squeezeserver which is loaded onto my pc. This is where I can view all my albums, make playlists etc (but it is very slow).

I use my Sony laptop for daily use and it would be great to access everything from here. Is that possible?

Vortexbox comes pre-loaded with Squeezebox server software, so on your laptop you would open a browser window and type in <198.162.1.69>:9000 replacing <198.162.1.69> with the IP address of your vortexbox.

garym
2011-10-16, 06:35
Vortexbox comes pre-loaded with Squeezebox server software, so on your laptop you would open a browser window and type in <198.162.1.69>:9000 replacing <198.162.1.69> with the IP address of your vortexbox.

Yes. Very simple. I access everything on my vba from my laptop via a web browser on laptop. SbS and all music files are on vba and low power use vba runs 24/7.

paul44birch
2011-10-16, 07:00
OK thanks. Sounds like the obvious choice then. Also am I able to transfer my existing FLAC files which are on the hard drive of my PC? As mentioned, I would ideally like to get rid of the PC as we all have our own laptops

garym
2011-10-16, 07:04
OK thanks. Sounds like the obvious choice then. Also am I able to transfer my existing FLAC files which are on the hard drive of my PC? As mentioned, I would ideally like to get rid of the PC as we all have our own laptops

Yes. Very simple to copy over. I just did it across my network from a USB drive attached to my laptop. (vba shows up as network drives) . Took a while as it was over 60,000 files. Vba does have a direct USB drive backup function however for subsequent backups.

paul44birch
2011-10-16, 07:18
Thanks garym