PDA

View Full Version : The next streaming music solution from Logitech

ad6922
2011-10-12, 14:24
It has been a while since the last products in the squeezebox-line have been added by Logitech. I am curious if there are any new products planned as successor on the current products.

Anyone seen anything on this?

garym
2011-10-12, 14:27
It has been a while since the last products in the squeezebox-line have been added by Logitech. I am curious if there are any new products planned as successor on the current products.

Anyone seen anything on this?

no, and they never (well almost never) make anything public until it is official.

SaharaCez
2011-10-12, 15:45
It's time a next-gen Boom (or whatever they want to call it) gets released. Something portable with better amplification, DUAL built-in speakers, AAC-friendly...

If not, Logitech will see their market nitch dry up, especially with IPhone and Android phones' wi-fi capabilities becoming much more reliable. It's only a matter of time, with streaming apps like TuneIn and iheartradio becoming cross-platform standards.

Others are jumping into the game -- note, for example, that Philips announced last month a new line of audio docking stations...for ANDROID: http://www.ifa.philips.com/pressreleases/Fidelio_Docking_Stations_Android/index.html

There will always be folks who have no interest in smartphones -- OK, I get that -- but for the rest of us, more and more practical/easy options to stream our favorite stations capitalizing on wi-fi are becoming available. Logitech produces some fine products -- I hope they stay ahead of the curve.

pski
2011-10-12, 15:53
no, and they never (well almost never) make anything public until it is official.

As in NEVER <like the Duet>

Goodsounds
2011-10-12, 16:50

I'm not sure there's any difference between making something public and making it "official". Maybe you mean that they mostly don't announce new products until soon before they announce a forthcoming release date.

That's the same thing most companies do most of the time. Limited exceptions, like when some car companies (for competitive purposes) announced electric models for some years down the road. But those same car companies don't telegraph their periodic significant model changes much in advance. If at all.

garym
2011-10-13, 06:09
Maybe you mean that they mostly don't announce new products until soon before they announce a forthcoming release date.

that's exactly what I mean.

mbg
2011-10-13, 06:29
I think we may have to wait for the Revue to fail and then hope they don't kill Squeezebox along with it.

One of the first nails is in the coffin, as Intel has decided to move away from the set-top box strategy (see below). The new strategy sounds something like using a tablet as a big remote control to stream content to the TV (my interpretation). Which basically leaves anyone who doesn't have a tablet strategy hoping that Android will be good enough, and puts Microsoft and Apple in the de-facto leadership position.

Intel has shut down its Digital Home Group and will no longer make chips for interactive TV set-top boxes like the Google TV devices from Sony and Logitech, or the similar Boxee boxes from D-Link.

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/12/businessinsiderintel-bails-on-googl.DTL

pippin
2011-10-13, 06:50
Revue can't fail, it has already failed.

mbg
2011-10-13, 06:53
Revue can't fail, it has already failed.

Right, but they don't know it yet. The next version of the server software is being developed by a skeleton crew and has improvements mostly targeted at the Revue, at the cost of potentially making the Squeezebox part of the software more difficult to use or more bug-prone.

kakklank
2011-10-13, 07:28
I'm not sure there's any difference between making something public and making it "official". Maybe you mean that they mostly don't announce new products until soon before they announce a forthcoming release date.

That's the same thing most companies do most of the time. Limited exceptions, like when some car companies (for competitive purposes) announced electric models for some years down the road. But those same car companies don't telegraph their periodic significant model changes much in advance. If at all.Staggering insights, thanks for enriching our lives.

amcluesent
2011-10-14, 09:30
>Anyone seen anything on this? <

There's very little stock of Touch in retail channel. Could be a new product or just Logitech shuttering the unit.

Mnyb
2011-10-14, 10:48
>Anyone seen anything on this? <

There's very little stock of Touch in retail channel. Could be a new product or just Logitech shuttering the unit.

I just ordered one more :) there is no shortage of them in Sweden ( yet ).

You never know with Logitech, we know that they never restock in advance they just run the inventory to 0 before ordering more of them, just like it was mice or keyboards.
mice and keyboard comes in 500 interchangable models, that looks very similar to me so that is no problem.
But they treat their audio products the same, with very long lead times to order from the sweatshops in the far east.

There is usually no point in asking Logitech you can get conflicting info from different part of that company.

So that the stock is very low ,could also be thier usual bussines model so, besides a new product or shuttering of these products.

but I ordered one more just in case ;)

andyg
2011-10-14, 11:15
Let's just say that watching how Apple ships over 1 million iPhones from China, pre-loaded with the latest version of software, all arriving on the same day... it really puts Logitech's supply chain (and most others I imagine) to shame.

TiredLegs
2011-10-14, 11:32
Let's just say that watching how Apple ships over 1 million iPhones from China, pre-loaded with the latest version of software, all arriving on the same day... it really puts Logitech's supply chain (and most others I imagine) to shame.
Apple products don't all arrive on the same day. Apple just does the best job of making sure (under penalty of withholding future shipments) that none of boxes go from the stockrooms onto the retail shelves until the appointed time.

andynormancx
2011-10-14, 11:43
Apple products don't all arrive on the same day. Apple just does the best job of making sure (under penalty of withholding future shipments) that none of boxes go from the stockrooms onto the retail shelves until the appointed time.

The million iPhones were are talking about will never hit the shop floor at all, they are being shipped direct to the customers.

pippin
2011-10-14, 12:36

I've got Apple products days before the official release in two cases. Directly from Apple. As a normal customer.
You hear from people who had the same with iPhone 4S this time, too.

Apple are not perfect, too.

TiredLegs
2011-10-15, 04:45
I've got Apple products days before the official release in two cases. Directly from Apple. As a normal customer.
You hear from people who had the same with iPhone 4S this time, too.

Apple are not perfect, too.
That just proves my original point: Apple products don't all arrive on the same day.

Zten
2011-10-18, 15:31
I think it is still a good question. It seems cell phones are now the competitor and not just a squeezebox remote control.

With ZUMOCAST on the Droid Bionic (aka MOTOCAST on the Droid Razr), my phone basically becomes a squeezebox. I can stream any and all of the same songs from my computer hard drive to my phone (anywhere in the world over WiFi or the cellualr network) -- even FLAC.

Or with all your music in the cloud, you can do the saem thing with Apple or Android.

The squeezebox guys need some new innovations!

callesoroe
2011-10-21, 05:38
I think it is still a good question. It seems cell phones are now the competitor and not just a squeezebox remote control.

With ZUMOCAST on the Droid Bionic (aka MOTOCAST on the Droid Razr), my phone basically becomes a squeezebox. I can stream any and all of the same songs from my computer hard drive to my phone (anywhere in the world over WiFi or the cellualr network) -- even FLAC.

Or with all your music in the cloud, you can do the saem thing with Apple or Android.

The squeezebox guys need some new innovations!

Then maybe a LOGIPHONE......?