PDA

View Full Version : Cannot stream Spotify to synchronized players

johnny b
2011-10-12, 10:44
I have recently expanded my squeezebox system from just using a Touch with a USB HD to now using also two Radios. For music I nowadays mainly use Spotify.
I noticed when having the Touch (music source) synchronized with one of the Radios, I got the occasional interruptions of play back. The system does not seem to be buffering, it just interrupts play back and then starts playing again after a while or jumps to the next track. It happens very rarely when playing solely on the Touch.
Today I picked up my second Radio and installed it on my network. When trying to stream Spotify with all three players synchronized it collapses completely. I get maybe 3 seconds before it freezes. Also the system reacts very slowly on iPeng commands with all players synchronized.
When playing FLAC files from my USB HD there are no problems having all three players play synchronized. The same is mostly true when listening to internet radio even though I get the occasional buffering.
My own idea is that it has something to do with my “poor” internet connection – I use the 3G on my phone – but I have no good way of testing this. Can anyone advice if this could be the case? If so, what is the logic? Grateful for any feedback!

garym
2011-10-12, 10:50
are you using spotify on mysqueezebox.com (versus running your own SbS on a local computer). If so, even with sync I believe you are feeding a separate stream to each of the 3 players. So with a slow internet connection, you'd be tripling the load on your internet connection. Thus I wouldn't be at all surprised that even adding the second player would really bog things down.

But you are playing FLAC too, so that must be on your local SbS. Of course this shouldn't be a problem as it is not using the internet for your local FLAC files. Perhaps even running local SbS and spotify you get separate streams for each player. Don't know.

Are you using the official spotify app or triode's app. Maybe try triodes and see if that works better (maybe it takes one stream and feeds it to all 3 players, saving internet bandwith). Again, not sure, just speculating.

johnny b
2011-10-12, 12:30
I am running everything on the Touch and its internal server (USB HD) but perhaps mysqueezbox.com is streaming spotify to the Touch. Don't know how that works. Your explanation makes kind of sense, but spotify doesn't use that much bandwidth, does it?

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I guess I will know the day I get high speed internet...

garym
2011-10-12, 13:13
I am running everything on the Touch and its internal server (USB HD) but perhaps mysqueezbox.com is streaming spotify to the Touch. Don't know how that works. Your explanation makes kind of sense, but spotify doesn't use that much bandwidth, does it?

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I guess I will know the day I get high speed internet...

I think (but not positive) that when you are using the internal touch server, it automatically switches over to mysqueezebox.com for stuff like spotify, pandora, etc. Spotify is high bandwidth. It is streaming 320kbs files (as a comparison, pandora is 128k). And if you multiply this by 2 or 3, and you have an internet connection that is 3G, well that's a problem....

You're probably lucky to have decent streaming with only ONE player and spotify to be honest.

johnny b
2011-10-13, 01:34
You were quite right. I checked the capacity of my phones 3G and it showed 1,5 Mbs so it would be testing the capacity running three Spotify streams. I am now testing with another 3G which gives approx 5 Mbs and have no problem.

Problem solved! Thanks!

toby10
2011-10-13, 02:12
I don't use Spotify but when I use Touch's inbuilt server to stream stations (Synced or independent streams) it does not switch over to MySB.
If your Touch is switching to MySB I'd say something is incorrect with your network or setup.

Are you actually connecting Touch to it's own server after you have started it's server? Just starting it's server does not mean the Touch itself is actually connected to it's server.

garym
2011-10-13, 04:20
I don't use Spotify but when I use Touch's inbuilt server to stream stations (Synced or independent streams) it does not switch over to MySB.
If your Touch is switching to MySB I'd say something is incorrect with your network or setup.

Are you actually connecting Touch to it's own server after you have started it's server? Just starting it's server does not mean the Touch itself is actually connected to it's server.

good point. I was just guessing about the auto switch to mysb.com, not having used the internal touch SbS myself.