PDA

View Full Version : clear channel radio station not playing again

audiophile
2011-10-05, 04:53
A year ago a bunch of us had problems playing clear channel stations via mysqueezebox.com: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=78791 . At some point in the past few days it stopped working again. At the time people said it was because they changed the format they were using but then it started working again. Anyone know if I can't play the station because of its format again? One of the stations is this one: http://www.iheart.com/#/live/2173/?callletters=khfi-fm&autoplay=true .

Thanks.

golson
2011-10-05, 08:13
We have also lost the ability to play Clear Channel stations on our Touch. Up until ~ two days ago, everything was fine. Now, upon selecting a station with the Tunein app, the station info displays and the Touch goes through a 'Connecting' cycle. The cycle always ends with a three-line error message in this format:

HTTP/1.0 404 Not found
mms:// <a long number/string>
kamaistream.net/D/<more stuff>

Can anyone shed some 'light' on what's going on and perhaps a workaround?? Thanks in advance for the help.

Gregg

rocano
2011-10-05, 13:16
Same here on 1 of 2 squeezebox radios, one seems OK and the other will not play clear channel stations, KKGN-San Francisco KPOJ-Portland to name a few. Tried deleting the problem radio from mysqueezebox.com account, restoring to factory setting and then adding back the radio to my account with no change. My error message is a bit different from the prior post:

HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Station Stream

I tried re-installing the current software update and no change. If I synchronize from the 'good' radio clear channel stations play on the problem radio. The problem radio plays SiriusXm and all other channels. I called and worked with Logitech tech support with no resolution, a promise of escalation and thanked for shopping.

Randy

toby10
2011-10-05, 14:12
My local Clear Channel playing fine for me on Touch & Radio at 32k AAC.

Antilope
2011-10-05, 16:31
My Squeezebox radio quit receiveing KFI Am, KSTE AM and KNEW AM on Monday. After reading the suggestion from JimInPT in another thread (GENERAL DISCUSSION - KFI 640 AM Los Angeles), I was able to get all three stations working with the method below. My Squeezebox radio receives them standalone without connecting to my computer with this method. (The stations will appear in your FAVORITES folder):

-Log onto Mysqueezebox.com (on your computer)

-Go to the FAVORITES Tab

At the top of the page you can manually add Favorites (Title and Link)

"Add Favorite
Add the URL of an internet radio station, live stream, or audio file below:"

"Title - URL http://"

For each station I entered the following links:

KFI-640 s32618
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s32618&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

KSTE-650 s1209
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s1209&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

KNEW-910 s34282
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s34282&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

I also tested this for KPOJ and KKGN and it also worked for them.

KPOJ s35685
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s35685&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

KKGN s44926
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s44926&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

I copied the long link into Windows Notepad, substituted the "s-xxxxx" number and then pasted the altered link into the
form on Mysqueezebox.com. It's case sensitive, so make sure to use a lower-case (small) "s".

So it appears the "s-xxxxx" number chooses the radio station. Maybe you could substitute a different "s" number for other stations.

rocano
2011-10-06, 00:24
Thank you Antilope, I'm listening to my stuff again.

I logged into to my "mysqueezebox.com account" and selected the Favorites page. The page has two sections that will be of concern 'Add Favorites' and 'Manage Favorites'. I right clicked on the URL that Antilope provided (they are all the same except for the ID number) in his (?) post and did a 'Copy Link Location' and then pasted that directly into the 'Add Favorites' URL entry box. I then looked up the id# from the 'Manage Favorites' section list just below and selected an id# from a Clear Channel station that was not working. I substituted existing id# (in this case s44926) with the one on the list. I then added a unique title and clicked the 'Add' button. The new link will be located at the end of your favorites list (web page remote control or your radio) for testing.

Please realize that you are not interested in the 'Tune.ahsx' file that this link and URL point to and will download if selected, only the literal URL this link represents. I could not figure out a way to display the literal URL so please hover on the link below and your browser should display the full literal link at the bottom of the browser screen and then right click and choose 'copy link location' from the right click menu to copy it. It appears that this single literal URL can be used for any of your Clear Channel stations in your 'Manage Favorites' list by substituting the the existing id# (in this case s44926) with the id# indicated in the URL of your Clear Channel stations that your are no longer receiving.

http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s44926&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

I think I missed where JimInPT initially got this URL format?

Thanks again,
Randy

Antilope
2011-10-06, 01:22
In the post on the other thread (KFI 640) JimInPT said he didn't remember where he had obtained the link, he said he had it around for some time. His original string was just for KFI. I tried substituting a different Clear Channel ID string and it worked. You can get a list of Clear Channel stations (but not the ID strings) on Wikipedia. You can search for the ID strings by the method below.

I found you can lookup station "s-xxxxx" numbers on http://tunein.com/ with the following method:

Go to tunein.com and enter the desired station call letters in the search field:

Example: KFBK AM 1530

Run your mouse over the Hyper-links found in the search, but don't click them.

Look at the bottom bar of your browser to see the Link URL.

Do this for each link until you see a s-12345 string. The 12345 will be
your desired station number. Some stations only have 4 numbers in the string.
(KSTE AM 650 is s-1209).

Dylanc421
2011-10-06, 04:23
I also lost the ability to listen to kfi among many other clear channel stations. I also listen daily to WJNO in Florida. Can someone tell where/how I can find these new addresses to place into mysqueezebox to resume hearing this station. Is there a list of clear channel using this new aac format somewhere?
Thanks.

Jack Martling
2011-10-06, 06:53
Greetings, I tried Antilope's method, but still cannot connect to kfi 640 am without using SB server on my computer. I have a squeezebox boom which I read that being an older player will not play aac format without using SB server. Does this method work only with the newer squeezebox? Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Jack

toby10
2011-10-06, 10:03
Greetings, I tried Antilope's method, but still cannot connect to kfi 640 am without using SB server on my computer. I have a squeezebox boom which I read that being an older player will not play aac format without using SB server. Does this method work only with the newer squeezebox? Any thoughts?

The newer players (Touch & Radio) can natively play AAC format streams on MySB.com without a local server

audiophile
2011-10-07, 05:37
Antilope's method doesn't work for me. The strange thing is using both my original link and the modified Antilope link the song name and album art from the radio station show up but no audio.

SaharaCez
2011-10-07, 16:55
I finally found a working method:

(1) I made sure my Boom was linked to SqueezeBox Server (=Logitech Media Server) on my PC. (instead of MySqueezeBox.com, as I used to have it)
(2) On the Boom from its root menu, I *manually* initiated a search for KFI by actually entering in the characters "K" "F" "I" using the dial knob.
(3) Once the search successfully found KFI, I pressed the 'next' arrow to launch the station stream.

...and hallelujah, KFI plays!!! (but be forewarned: along with the expected station and programming titles, the screen display is now cluttered with the lengthy AAC stream parameters)

This method seems to work successfully -- FOR NOW. I saved the "found" version of KFI as one of my six preset buttons, and it will launch successfully whenever its assigned preset button is pressed. However, when I attempt to save the found version of KFI as a Favorite, then try to play the Favorite later, the stream will not launch. It also won't launch the found/saved Favorite if I set the Boom's alarm to play it at a set time.

This method of searching and saving ClearChannel stations to the six preset buttons also worked for KNEW and KOGO. And similarly, launch attempts consistently crap out using the saved Favorites methodology.

In spite of my limited success getting KFI and the other CC stations to finally play, I suspect that with no AAC firmware upgrade for the Boom coming, its days as my player of choice are probably numbered and I'll soon have to upgrade to one of the new AAC-friendly Squeezebox models. I just wish Logitech would put out another Boom-like SqueezeBox model with dual speakers, updated input and output ports, decent power.

Cez.

SaharaCez
2011-10-11, 14:00
UPDATE:

After a few days, I'm sorry to report that the method I described above proved unstable (intermittent connectivity, constant rebuffering), and finally stopped working altogether after two days.

Next step for me: I'll either pick up a newer model Squeezebox, or simply connect my Android phone to a decent 2.1 speaker system by way of 3.5mm cable, streaming my preferred radio stations with Android's iheartradio and tunein apps.

-- Cez.

Antilope
2011-10-11, 20:04
The links are still working on my 2 Squeezebox radios.

nyceyes
2011-10-16, 19:55
Hello Friends:

I need to jump in here. :)

About two weeks ago the station, KPOJ (AM 620), stopped being able to
stream to my SqueezeBox DUET.

(Note: I do not use Squeeze Box Server).

So I deleted the KPOJ FAVORITE, then re-added it using the remote. It did
not resolve the issue (specifically a "404 stream not found" message
persists).

Then, following the directions on this thread, I logged into my SqueezeBox
web account, deleted the KPOJ FAVORITE, and re-added it using
the following stream URL:

http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s35685
formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&
serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

That, too, doesn't resolve the issue for me. Now I get "Unable to
play file type for: KPOJ-AM iPhone Akamai". iPhone??? :-|

BTW: Just out of curiosity, using the same remote but switching it
to manage my "SqueezeBox TOUCH", I selected KPOJ from the FAVORITES
menu and it played fine (again on my SqueezeBox Touch). So it streams
find there (TOUCH), but not on my DUET.

Any advice for me? :-(

Thank you in advance,
nyceyes

toby10
2011-10-17, 03:13
That is an AAC format stream. Touch can play AAC natively connected to MySB.com, Duet cannot do this.
If you connect Duet to SBS on your computer it will play because SBS will transcode AAC to MP3/WMA so the Duet can play it.

bpa
2011-10-17, 03:25
That is an AAC format stream. Touch can play AAC natively connected to MySB.com, Duet cannot do this.
If you connect Duet to SBS on your computer it will play because SBS will transcode AAC to MP3/WMA so the Duet can play it.

SBS will transcode AAC to MP3 or Flac not WMA.

If you are using SBS 7.6.0 or 7.6.1 - there is a bug which can cause erratic playing of transcoded AAC streams. The bug is fixed in 7.6.2

nyceyes
2011-10-17, 08:03
Thank you Toby10 and BPA.

That's what I was afraid of and needed to confirm.

No SqueezeBox Server for me. :) I don't like to keep
a PC on (or have to think to turn one on when listening.
Plus it saves me/us energy... it all adds up :-)).

(Side note: Perhaps when the monthly cost of a cloud
server goes down, I'll set up SBS on one, and open
up the appropriate IP ports.)

I digress...

So if I found a MP3/WMA (or any other natively
supported DUET) stream for KPOJ elsewhere, that
would work... correct?

Its just a matter of finding one I guess.

Thank you.

Antilope
2011-10-17, 08:30
Here's another link to the KPOJ stream, but I don't know what format it is using.

KPOJ AM Portland
http://kpoj-am.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/164/20052/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kpoj-am

nyceyes
2011-10-17, 09:14
Thank you Antilope.

I just tried that one and it doesn't work either (though I didn't
sniff the traffic to see the format type). I'll keep searching. :)
Probably if the originating stream source of KPOJ is AAC, and there
is no publicly available transcoded version of it into a DUET
compatible format (i.e. MP3/WMA that I can tap in to), then I'm
probably out of luck for now (... since I don't want to use a personal
SBS server for transcoding). It's ok.

But later this week or next I'll write KPOJ & TuneIn/RadioIO and alert
them, in case they want to do something about it.

In summary (for others), so far these KPOJ streams don't work natively
for the DUET (i.e. without transcoding them):
==================================================
- http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s35685&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

- http://kpoj-am.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/164/20052/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kpoj-am
==================================================

Thank you. :)

pongagt
2011-10-18, 14:38
I used to listen to KPOJ all the time until about 2 weeks ago. Why would I want to have a computer and the squeezebox running to listen to a stream when I can hear the stream from just the computer. I don't want to run my computer all the time so i will have to go without KPOJ unless they resume their other stream. I sent them a message about the problem about 2 weeks ago and have had no response so either they have a problem they are working on or they don't care about us squeezebox streamers. Thomm Hartman has his own stream that you can get when he is live. Hopefully someone comes out with mp3/wma streams for the stations that have evidently dropped their mp3/wma stream.

garym
2011-10-18, 15:51
Why would I want to have a computer and the squeezebox running to listen to a stream when I can hear the stream from just the computer.

In my case because most of my listening at home is in places around the house that are NOT near the computer (bedroom, porch, living room, kitchen, etc.). so simply listening in front of the computer would be very limiting.....

p.s. you could also pick up a TOUCH or RADIO. They can play AAC natively, no computer for transcoding needed....

toby10
2011-10-19, 05:35
I used to listen to KPOJ all the time until about 2 weeks ago. Why would I want to have a computer and the squeezebox running to listen to a stream when I can hear the stream from just the computer. I don't want to run my computer all the time so i will have to go without KPOJ unless they resume their other stream. I sent them a message about the problem about 2 weeks ago and have had no response so either they have a problem they are working on or they don't care about us squeezebox streamers. Thomm Hartman has his own stream that you can get when he is live. Hopefully someone comes out with mp3/wma streams for the stations that have evidently dropped their mp3/wma stream.

Keep in mind it is the station at fault here, not your SB player. Your SB player plays all the same formats today that it played the day you purchased it (possibly more).

KPOJ changed it's streaming format, also KPOJ is not making itself available to some of the most popular streaming aggregators out there further reducing your options (and everyone else's options) to listen to their broadcast.

vTuner = not listed
Reciva = not listed
TuneIn = present (but in their new AAC format which you cannot use absent a computer)
iHeartRadio = present (Flash/web based)

pongagt
2011-10-19, 22:51
In my case because most of my listening at home is in places around the house that are NOT near the computer (bedroom, porch, living room, kitchen, etc.). so simply listening in front of the computer would be very limiting.....

p.s. you could also pick up a TOUCH or RADIO. They can play AAC natively, no computer for transcoding needed....

I would prefer to use my Boom being located in a more central location in my apartment but i really don't want to run a computer all the time i want to listen to streaming. I gave up on listening to over the air radio. I may have to look for the Radio even though i love the sound quality of the Boom. It looks like Logitech will not update the Boom since i have read it is no longer being manufactured. It is a real shame that such a awesome hardware device will be obsolete if streamers drop their mp3/wma stream. I have only had it around a year. Logitech just had a 50% promo code and that would have been the perfect time to buy the Radio. I guess i will have to watch for a black Friday sale. I just love the sound of the Boom when listening to blues. My Onkyo receiver has streaming so that might support AAC but i would rather not have to run that with the external power amp just for listening to talk radio. It's kind of overkill.

pongagt
2011-10-19, 22:57
Keep in mind it is the station at fault here, not your SB player. Your SB player plays all the same formats today that it played the day you purchased it (possibly more).

KPOJ changed it's streaming format, also KPOJ is not making itself available to some of the most popular streaming aggregators out there further reducing your options (and everyone else's options) to listen to their broadcast.

vTuner = not listed
Reciva = not listed
TuneIn = present (but in their new AAC format which you cannot use absent a computer)
iHeartRadio = present (Flash/web based)

I know what you mean and i wonder why KPOJ would limit its audience like that. You think they could collect more advertising revenue with a larger audience. It's too bad because i listened to them quite a bit. If that spreads the Boom will be useless unless you want to run a computer. Maybe it would be a good time to sell my Boom before that happens.

Mnyb
2011-10-19, 23:23
I know what you mean and i wonder why KPOJ would limit its audience like that. You think they could collect more advertising revenue with a larger audience. It's too bad because i listened to them quite a bit. If that spreads the Boom will be useless unless you want to run a computer. Maybe it would be a good time to sell my Boom before that happens.

They want people to use PC based player so you can see the adds ? maybe

toby10
2011-10-20, 02:33

I'm sure there are numerous reasons why AM/FM stations are doing so, some that come to mind:
- AAC means half the bandwidth (half the cost) over MP3/WMA while offering equal sound quality
- they are dumping the management of these strreams to stream aggregators like iHeartRadio, again lower cost & time for the stations
- many/most advertising on AM/FM is local so the advertisers are not interested in listeners outside of their market
- online streaming represents a very small percentage of their whole audience, and many of those few online are not even in their market
- want you to see their web ads, as Mnyb suggests

I don't listen to any AM/FM at home and barely listen to them in my car. For me a big part of the attraction of SqueezeBox and internet radio in general is AVOIDING the AM/FM crap out there.
But that's me and I certainly understand the appeal for others wanting to access AM/FM via internet.

The trend towards AAC streaming seems likely to grow because of the economics of using AAC vs MP3/WMA, especially with the AM/FM streaming markets which seem hell bent on going all AAC.
So if such streams are important to you absent a computer (which I completely understand) I would definitely consider updating your Boom to a SB Radio.

Mnyb
2011-10-20, 02:52
This was one of the factors considered when they developed Touch and Radio .
Much more flexible OS and cpu it can be made to support more codecs etc .

Old players is not very powerful and they are already 100% utilised no more room for anything .

So it was clearly time for a new player for the future .

Reciever and Boom is "SB2" in disguise tech from 2006 .

The controller was the first attempt at SqueePlay based hardware, it actually has audioplayback as a beta function besides the controlling , but it does not work very well as player (it was probably for development/experiment purpose for the radio and Touch , controller itself is a bit weak in cpu department )

garym
2011-10-20, 04:38
I would prefer to use my Boom being located in a more central location in my apartment but i really don't want to run a computer all the time i want to listen to streaming. I gave up on listening to over the air radio. I may have to look for the Radio even though i love the sound quality of the Boom. It looks like Logitech will not update the Boom since i have read it is no longer being manufactured. It is a real shame that such a awesome hardware device will be obsolete if streamers drop their mp3/wma stream. I have only had it around a year. Logitech just had a 50% promo code and that would have been the perfect time to buy the Radio. I guess i will have to watch for a black Friday sale. I just love the sound of the Boom when listening to blues. My Onkyo receiver has streaming so that might support AAC but i would rather not have to run that with the external power amp just for listening to talk radio. It's kind of overkill.

understand. and for talk radio, the RADIO would be perfect! I started with a BOOM a few years ago and its a great piece of equipment. But as you can see from my sig, these things have a way of multiplying....

Mnyb
2011-10-20, 05:32
Don't accidentally mix cables from left and right channel thats all.

output is a bridge of some kind, nieter + or - is connected directly to ground or probably, gnd is somewhere in the "middle" of the amp circuit ?

other amps with - at gnd plane for both channels migth tolerate that you switch - cables without any problems.

nyceyes
2011-10-27, 20:57
Hi Again Friends: :)

Since my last post earlier in the thread, I noticed now that station KPOJ doesn't play on my SB Touch either, when I attempt to start that stream using my (DUET) display remote as opposed to starting it via the touch screen (which does work).

I can and do start/play other stations with that graphic remote just fine.

Hmm... Does anyone else see this too?

Next, trying the same using the Android based remote control app, similarly doesn't work... I.e. doesn't start the stream.

In fact, I've noticed that if I start any AAC stream from a graphic remote (Duet remote or via Android app), it temporarily breaks the ability to tune many stations on the SB Touch.

this is strange behavior ... almost like a bug.

thank you,
Noel