PDA

View Full Version : Saving playlists

gruntwolla
2011-09-28, 02:31
Bit of a basic question, but.... Is there any trick to saving playlists? I selected a handful of tracks, saved them,named the playlist " experiment", and did the same again with some more tracks, and named that "experiment 2".

Both playlists now saved and appear on the webui ok. I then rescanned the library, with the intention of being able to access these 2 playlists without having to go to the web ui. They are no longer there!

I can't really class myself as a newbie, but I've never needed to use playlists till now, so any help appreciated.

Trev

gruntwolla
2011-09-28, 04:09
OK got a bit further. Created playlist - named it " experiment" and it appeared immediately in playlists on the player ( SB3) The only question I now have is will this playlist disappear again next time I rescan my library, and if so how do I prevent that happening?

Trev

aubuti
2011-09-28, 05:34
The first thing you should check is the permissions on your playlist folder. The user 'squeezeboxserver' needs to have read and _write_ permissions in that folder. If not, the playlist never gets written to disk. It appears to be saved, but it's only saved temporarily. If you rescan the playlists, restart SBS or reboot the server then those playlists disappear.

gruntwolla
2011-09-29, 01:39
The first thing you should check is the permissions on your playlist folder. The user 'squeezeboxserver' needs to have read and _write_ permissions in that folder. If not, the playlist never gets written to disk. It appears to be saved, but it's only saved temporarily. If you rescan the playlists, restart SBS or reboot the server then those playlists disappear.

Ok - done some checking. On my desktop, the permissions on the playlist folder are as you state, and if I choose to run sbs from the desktop, then the playlists are saved correctly.

However, as I normally run sbs from a squeezeplug, I need to edit the permissions on the playlist folder which is on an external hdd attached to the plug, and this is more problematic. Accessing the folder is no problem, but I'm unable to edit. I'm logged in as adminisrator. I get as far as "change permissions " but if I click on the read and write checkboxes, the ticks disappear when I click apply.

Trev

ps the only reason I crossposted was I thought maybe somebody using a Sheevaplug might have encountered this issue, and that a Sheevaplug user might be more likely to frequent that forum.

aubuti
2011-09-29, 04:13
Can't you get to a command line on squeezeplug, using ssh or some other method? If so, then simple use of the chmod and/or chown commands will set you up. Meanwhile, which user and group own the playlists folder?

gruntwolla
2011-09-29, 04:42
Yes I can get to a command line on the Squeezeplug,although I would need help with the syntax when entering any commands!. Current owner of the playlist folder is root( Unix User\root )

aubuti
2011-09-29, 09:40
Okay, well a quick, dirty, and insecure way of getting things to work is to give everyone read and write access to the folder. To do this, become the root user, which is usually done via the 'su' command. Then, as root, give the following command:

chmod 777 /full/path/to/playlist/folder

where you substitute your actual playlist folder path in place of /full/path/to/playlist/folder. If you have any spaces in the pathname then you need to enclose the pathname in inverted commmas/quotation marks. Then remember to 'exit' from being root user.

A more secure way would be to change the user and/or group to something more appropriate, and give full permissions only to that user or group, rather than the whole world. Do you ever do editing of playlist files when logged in under your own username? If not, then you can make the playlist folder owned by username 'squeezeboxserver', and just give write permissions to that user (I'll assume you don't mind other users reading your playlists). In that case you would do the following, again after using 'su' to get root status.

chown -R squeezeboxserver /full/path/to/playlist/folder
chmod 755 /full/path/to/playlist/folder
chmod 644 /full/path/to/playlist/folder/*

If you ever do want to be able to edit/write/delete playlist files under your own username, you can either use the first approach (quick, dirty, insecure), or post back and I can outline something a little less blunt.

gruntwolla
2011-10-03, 02:57
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay - been away for a few days. I'm ashamed to say that I attempted to follow your instructions with too much alcohol swilling around my bloodstream. A combination of that and fooling around with settings that I do not totally understand has left me with far bigger problems than saving playlists!

Using Putty. I can still access squeezeplug via ssh or with a serial connection.The squeezeplug is showing on my network, but I can't access it. On my router settings in attached devices, there is now an un named device with the correct squeezeplug mac address,and an ip address, (which is the ip address I used when testing the ssh connection)
On reboot, the following error/failure messages are recorded.

startpar: service(s) returned failure: hostname.sh ... failed!
/etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: The partition with /var/lib/mysql is too full! ... failed!

start-stop-daemon: unable to flush pidfile '/var/run/squeezeboxserver.pid' (No space left on device)

startpar: service(s) returned failure: mysql ... failed!

Before posting this tale of woe, I did think of just formatting the plug,and starting again from scratch, but looking at the wiki even that is not straightforward.

PS - I hope Castalla isn't reading this!

aubuti
2011-10-03, 18:12
As you have probably surmised yourself, your /var partition is full. Maybe a log file ran amok and filled up the partition, I don't really know. Maybe you can use ssh or WinSCP to look around and see if any folders in /var look huge because of a lot of recent files. However, even if you clear it out you may need to undo whatever it was you did or else it will just happen again.

Beyond that, I'd say you need someone who knows more about the specifics of the squeezeplug than I do. Fortunately for you, that's not a very high bar. If you haven't done so already, you may want to start a new thread in the 3rd Party Hardware focusing on this latest problem.

Mnyb
2011-10-03, 21:24
Also the 777 option is not that unsecure IF you have a proper backup.
Then it's only inconvinient if you blow them away or thrash them with some other software.
especially a bunch of playlists, they are a not a security risk either.

Also make sure that playlist have thier designated folder, I don't know which version the plug is on now but a recent 7.6.x did not like it when music and playlist folder are the same .

and no >7.6.x likes when you filter away playlist file types for the music folder, they always disapear on incremental scans only a clear and rescan brings them back.
Thats an unsolved bug since 7.5