PDA

View Full Version : Do Squeezebox owners marry dim women?

castalla
2011-09-21, 16:11
I'm getting a bit fed up with the frequent remarks in this forum along the lines of 'Even my wife can use it ...'

Must be some sort of associative mating going on here.

Soulkeeper
2011-09-21, 16:12
Meh. This is a forum for geeks. Not all geeks marry geeks.

pippin
2011-09-21, 16:19
My better half is definitely no geek but she now writes and translates most of the iPeng user manuals, help texts and some blog posts.

And yes, she definitely can use it :)

JJZolx
2011-09-21, 16:24
I don't think it's quite so much about being _able_ to use the system as it is being _willing_ or even _wanting_ to use the system. As soon as someone thinks that something is more complicated than doing it the old way, they dismiss it. I know I do.

Without realizing the benefits of things like playlists and random play, placing a CD in a CD player is still simpler for most people.

castalla
2011-09-21, 16:25
Meh. This is a forum for geeks. Not all geeks marry geeks.

Must be a recessive gene then ....

Soulkeeper
2011-09-21, 16:33
My Significant Other is in many ways even geekier than me, but unlike me she's not a technophile.

I packed all my CDs down in boxes and put them in the basement a year ago, but she still refuses to move hers. (But then again, if the SB system went down, I know my first priority would be fixing it, while her priority would still be listening to music, so it does make sense.)

She uses the kitchen Boom for listening to radio, though. Mainly using the shortcut buttons. Without them, I probably wouldn't have stood a chance getting her to use it.

pski
2011-09-21, 18:03
I haven't married in decades.

I got too much storage <at the time,> but there's always a need

P

pski
2011-09-21, 18:04
Must be a recessive gene then ....

Have you heard of the "Subtraction Gene?"

A lack of it causes massive fees

P

garym
2011-09-21, 18:23
I don't think it's quite so much about being _able_ to use the system as it is being _willing_ or even _wanting_ to use the system. As soon as someone thinks that something is more complicated than doing it the old way, they dismiss it. I know I do.

Without realizing the benefits of things like playlists and random play, placing a CD in a CD player is still simpler for most people.

Yes. It is the willing aspect. My wife is brilliant in her own field but has zero interest in understanding how the system works. But I find this is true of most my male friends too actually. Even the music geeks.

JJZolx
2011-09-21, 18:33
But I find this is true of most my male friends too actually. Even the music geeks.

Same here.

I think I've told this story before: I have a good friend who wanted to get music from the computer in his office to play on the stereo system in his living room. He decided to run 40 feet of interconnect cabling up out of the office, over a bathroom and a sun room, and down into the living room. This was before I'd heard about Squeezebox, but when I later told him about how perfect it was for his computer audio system, he hardly batted an eye. Absolutely no interest. Oh, yeah... He's a computer tech for a living and installs small business networks.

Squeezebox's limited success in the marketplace doesn't surprise me much.

garym
2011-09-21, 18:39
Same here.

I think I've told this story before: I have a good friend who wanted to get music from the computer in his office to play on the stereo system in his living room. He decided to run 40 feet of interconnect cabling up out of the office, over a bathroom and a sun room, and down into the living room. This was before I'd heard about Squeezebox, but when I later told him about how perfect it was for his computer audio system, he hardly batted an eye. Absolutely no interest. Oh, yeah... He's a computer tech for a living and installs small business networks.

Squeezebox's limited success in the marketplace doesn't surprise me much.

My friends that are impressed with my ability to control everything through my iPhone are interested in how it all works for about 60 seconds. Then it becomes "my eyes glaze over". ;-)

MeSue
2011-09-21, 20:06
I've been annoyed a time or two by the "WAF" acronym.

In our house it is the total opposite. My husband won't touch the Squeezeboxes. When I accidentally turn a player on in the room he's in, he calls me on intercom to turn it off. I dragged him kicking and screaming to DVRs--he does thank me for that, but doesn't care about Squeezebox. He tried it out in his shop for a while but the wifi issues out there made him resort to just plugging in his iPod for music. His idea of a mix is play all in alphabetical order.

Gingernut63
2011-09-21, 21:30
My wife also has no interest in using Squeezebox. If I make the suggestion I just get "the look". A picture (or face) is worth a thousand words.

cliveb
2011-09-22, 00:49
Just because a woman doesn't take to Squeezeboxes doesn't mean she's dim. My wife has a mathematics degree from Oxford University (which I think qualifies her as "Not Dim"), but she's not that enamoured of our Squeezeboxes. She *can* use them, but prefers that I operate them.

And she's not a technophobe - quite happy with her eReader & iPod and our PVR. Perhaps Squeezeboxes aren't as simple to operate as we seem to think.

JJZolx
2011-09-22, 01:29
I've been annoyed a time or two by the "WAF" acronym.

In our house it is the total opposite. My husband won't touch the Squeezeboxes.

That's not really disputing the concept. It's more of an affirmation. You either get it or you don't. It's not a matter of gender or even geek factor... you either find some utility in it or you don't.

And again.... very little surprise that the Squeezebox had such limited success in the real world success.

carrera
2011-09-22, 02:47
My better half is definitely no geek but she now writes and translates most of the iPeng user manuals, help texts and some blog posts.

And yes, she definitely can use it :)

Hi,
does that mean we finally get a new iPeng Manual, or did I miss something...

pippin
2011-09-22, 02:53
Yes. Not 100% done yet but almost.
iPeng for iPad first.

Curt962
2011-09-22, 12:04
Dim wives? Au Contraire!

I gave my wife a SB Boom for Christmas last year, and she had it networked and playing music in less time than it takes many "experts" to get theirs out of the box.

Her only comment was "That was easy....why do THOSE people (here on the forum) have so much trouble?"

She's my "Lady of Steel". She works with 3yr olds all day. By way of comparison, SB presented no challenge to her at all.

It's probably a matter of where one's interests lie, rather than some matter of diminished mental capacity. She likes her music too, and was determined to succeed in setting her new toy up, which she did in stellar fashion. Humbly, I confess that she did a LOT better than I did on my first attempt at setting up a SB unit.

My vote goes to the Ladies!

maggior
2011-09-22, 12:37
Aaaahhh, no, my wife is certainly not dim. If she chose to, she could learn how to set all of this stuff up (network, CD ripping, server configuraiton, squeezebox setup, etc.). As she puts it "That's what I have you for". :-).

She appreciates the technology and uses it all of the time. I just got her hooked on a Kindle too :-). Things have gone amok with the squeezeboxes and she's figured it out for herself.

On the other hand, we each have the same cell phones (cheapy Virgin/Sprint phones). I go to her with questions of how to do certain things. When I got a new one, I handed it to her to set it up for me. She's the resident expert; "That's what I have you for" cuts both ways!

Gerry123
2011-09-22, 13:41
My friends that are impressed with my ability to control everything through my iPhone are interested in how it all works for about 60 seconds. Then it becomes "my eyes glaze over". ;-)

Made me chuckle that one.

Not the wife but the father in law always asks me when we are in the car if the woman in the satnav is always on duty? He thinks it's a radio and a woman is sat somewhere in a radio studio just for me telling me the directions for our destination. I wouldn't have an ice cube in hells chance of explaining how a squeezebox works.

Gerry.

garym
2011-09-22, 14:44
He thinks it's a radio and a woman is sat somewhere in a radio studio just for me telling me the directions for our destination.

:-)

Mnyb
2011-09-22, 21:07
It can be a generational thing ? They have been told that they can't.

The young girls who wear down thier thumbs on cellphones all day would not have problems :)

They are also to smart to be audiophiles, and a squeezebox can be a part of that setup, so they can have some emotional resistance to use the thing....

I love girls with geek interests, one I know have probably tested 1000's app on her iPad

jhonsberger@msn.com
2011-09-23, 06:26
My wife is abnormally afraid to even touch any of my A/V equipment.

I have asked her why and she says I'm too anal retentive but only
when it comes to my equipment.

Maybe I'm the one who is dim?

finnbrodersen
2011-09-23, 07:02
I tend to belive it is a generation thing. My teen daughter has no problems with my SB setup.

btw "anal retetive" I had to google that :-)

RonM
2011-09-23, 07:23
I think it's a music geek thing as much as a technology geek thing, although these traits interact. My wife enjoys music, sort of, sometimes, but doesn't have the semi-obsessive approach that I do. I say "semi" advisedly. She's also distinctly un-techy, so those things together mean that now the CDs are stored she uses the radio on the stereo, not the SB functionality (which after years she has still not used more than two or three times in total). Not that she used the CDs much anyway.

It's my experience that guys are more likely to get deeply engaged with things like music and tech, and the whole SB thing marries those. The ratio of men to women here reflects that. Which is not to say that there aren't exceptions. The normal distribution of traits (in the statistical sense) explains everything.

I have friends, a couple who are seriously into music, especially the woman. Total Richard Thompson fanatic (aka a Dickhead), among others. However, mastering an SB system would probably be beyond both of them, especially him. They have trouble buying concert tickets online. So I burn them CDs from time to time.

Let's face it, the best way to use the SB system for music playback is to have a 24/7 computer set up, or some equivalent network storage. How many people are actually going to do that?

R.

HeadBanger
2011-09-23, 07:24
Great thread!

Yes, I've probably said 'even my wife can use it' at some point. However, to be fair I've (not dim) male friends that are actually far, far worse!

maggior
2011-09-23, 07:35
I tend to belive it is a generation thing. My teen daughter has no problems with my SB setup.

That's definitely part of it. My 7 year old daughter has been using a Squeezebox Boom and an iPod nano for over a year now. She's also very proficient with the Touch we have in the family room.

amcluesent
2011-09-23, 12:00
The little ladies can be useful though. I know I'm on the right track on tweaking the hi-fi when even the wife asks what's happened to the music.

pippin
2011-09-23, 12:52
The little ladies can be useful though. I know I'm on the right track on tweaking the hi-fi when even the wife asks what's happened to the music.

You are being naive here :)

bluegaspode
2011-09-23, 13:37

Guess she is just aware that you can help with the household sooner.
So much for dim women *g*

jhonsberger@msn.com
2011-09-23, 14:03
I'm surprised there hasn't been a song title,"I wanna a dim woman".

Which artist would be up to the task you think?

garym
2011-09-23, 14:14
I'm surprised there hasn't been a song title,"I wanna a dim woman".

Which artist would be up to the task you think?

not exactly the same, but I have a good blues song called "I want a woman who can mow" by Jim Mills. lyrics have, "I want a woman who can mow...I want a woman who does yard work..."

http://www.jimmills.net/music.htm

jhonsberger@msn.com
2011-09-23, 14:23
not exactly the same, but i have a good blues song called "i want a woman who can mow" by jim mills. Lyrics have, "i want a woman who can mow...i want a woman who does yard work..."

http://www.jimmills.net/music.htm

lol!

jhonsberger@msn.com
2011-09-23, 16:04
Who doesn't love dim witted women?

It just makes it alot easier,if you know what I mean.

JJZolx
2011-09-23, 17:53
Are dim women attracted to Squeezebox owners?

Mnyb
2011-09-23, 23:16
Are dim women attracted to Squeezebox owners?

No , where out of luck there too ;)

Experiments at conducted at different nightclubs over an extended test period proves it....

I can Imagine the OCD audiophile scaring away his wife (OCD audiophiles are always male, why ? ) already at the ripping/file collecting stage.

*arrgh are you putting iTunes and WMA and mp3's on my server, oh no how do you tag ? that is latin Jazz not Jazz.....

garym
2011-09-24, 05:27
Experiments at cond-ucted at different nightclubs over an extended test period proves it....

;-) yes, I can see it as truly double blind....she was drunk and I was drunk.

CharlieG
2011-09-24, 05:47
;-) yes, I can see it as truly double blind....she was drunk and I was drunk.
Now that's funny!

socistep
2011-09-25, 03:17
My other half uses the SBs and ipeng and likes listening to music but doesn't have a massive interest in it, she does get annoyed when I press the wrong button and start playing the living room player when she is watching tv :-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Fahzz
2011-09-25, 16:26
Mine was dim enough to marry me.

TheLastMan
2011-09-26, 02:46
The whole reason I have the Squeeboxes is because my wife did not want to clutter up our nice newly decorated living room with racks of CDs and LPs. She thought an iPod dock would do the job but I persuaded her that there was another way...

She is fully proficient in how to use it, and was from the start, and is always setting up new party playlists. However she is very impatient if it ever goes wrong which, thankfully, has not happened in the last 18 months, and (of course) if it does go wrong it is my fault and needs to be rectified immediately.

garym
2011-09-26, 04:26

;-)

Mnyb
2011-09-26, 04:28

Before or after the first squeezebox ;)

y360
2011-09-26, 06:31
Welcome to the Squeezebox forum, where all the men are good-looking and all the wives are intellectually bright

Fahzz
2011-09-26, 08:49

Good Point. Before - so she must have married me for my money.

Fahzz
2011-09-26, 09:01

Good Point. Before - so she must have married me for my money.

fairyliquidizer
2011-09-26, 12:27
If your wife doesn't autodim file a report here... http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

jhonsberger@msn.com
2011-09-26, 13:53

Hilarious!

Fahzz
2011-09-26, 18:01

We have a winner...