PDA

View Full Version : Best Android Squeezebox app - opinions?

Dogberry2
2011-09-21, 07:47
Just got an Android-based phone (Droid 3 to be specific), and looking through threads here it seems to me that the favored app is Squeeze Commander. However, I've also seen references to this app being orphaned, possibly no longer supported, and potentially problematic. I also get the impression that the "official" Logitech SB app for Android is not too highly thought of. Opinions on others seem to vary (as opinions always do).

I have no objection to paying for an app, but wouldn't like to pay for one that isn't going to work very well. So for anyone who has been down the road with Android, I'd like to hear comments on which app(s) you use, and which ones to stay away from.

gruntwolla
2011-09-22, 03:25
Just got an Android-based phone (Droid 3 to be specific), and looking through threads here it seems to me that the favored app is Squeeze Commander. However, I've also seen references to this app being orphaned, possibly no longer supported, and potentially problematic. I also get the impression that the "official" Logitech SB app for Android is not too highly thought of. Opinions on others seem to vary (as opinions always do).

I have no objection to paying for an app, but wouldn't like to pay for one that isn't going to work very well. So for anyone who has been down the road with Android, I'd like to hear comments on which app(s) you use, and which ones to stay away from.

Hi there,

I've never used the official Logitech app, but Squeezecommander imho is excellent. I use it on a htc desire and there are no bugs - the layout is intuitive, the download feature is lightning quick and it's never once failed me. My wife has ipeng on her iphone, but she tends to pick up my phone when she wants music.

As for the app being orphaned - who knows? It's still supported at the moment. Give it a go,

Trev

Goodsounds
2011-09-22, 09:44
As for the app being orphaned - who knows? It's still supported at the moment.

This would be great news, if true. What are you basing your comment on? The guy seems to have been AWOL for some months now.

dave77
2011-09-22, 10:16
SquuezeCommander for me, the Logitech app is unusable on my Desire HD

gruntwolla
2011-09-22, 16:11
This would be great news, if true. What are you basing your comment on? The guy seems to have been AWOL for some months now.

I remembered reading his post last month explaining at length the reasons for his absence. I must admit I hadn't checked since. Still reckon it's an excellent app though - maybe I've just been lucky.

pnharrison
2011-09-22, 17:23
I've also looked at a few Android apps and found SqueezeCommander to be well worth the small price.
Rather similar to iPeng, which is no bad thing.

Dogberry2
2011-09-22, 19:10
Thanks for the responses. I'll give Commander a try.

spile
2011-09-23, 03:30
Squeezedroid which is free works for me.