PDA

View Full Version : Certain file types disabled on new server

gruntwolla
2011-09-20, 04:27
Hi again folks,
I have recently set up a Sheevaplug to run my squeezeboxes,and have just one problem I could use some help with. On the plug server webui in server settings/file types, certain file types are grayed out/disabled, and those files will not play( WMA Lossless,WAV)

On the original server on the desktop, none of those sections are grayed out or disabled, and if I choose that server as a music source, then those files play just fine. The server in both cases is version 7.5.4,as I like the fishbone interface not available on later versions.

So, to condense, why would those sections be grayed out/disabled, and how does one go about changing them?

Trev

bpa
2011-09-20, 05:14
WMA Lossless is not native on the older players so you need transcoding.

SBS has transcoding support for WMAL on Windows platforms because MS provides the necessary libraries. These libraries are not available on non Windows platforms. They can be made to work on x86/Linux system but not ARM based ones.

Phil Leigh
2011-09-20, 05:20
by default WAV is streamed as flac and needs flac.exe to transcode... you need to change filetypes to stream wav as PCM...

gruntwolla
2011-09-21, 02:25
by default WAV is streamed as flac and needs flac.exe to transcode... you need to change filetypes to stream wav as PCM...

Yes can do that -but as I have 25/30 albums still in WMA or wav format ( from my pre squeezebox days)I was hoping to be able to change file types/permissions on the server, rather than converting each album individually. Oh well...

Phil Leigh
2011-09-21, 06:48
Yes can do that -but as I have 25/30 albums still in WMA or wav format ( from my pre squeezebox days)I was hoping to be able to change file types/permissions on the server, rather than converting each album individually. Oh well...

Best to convert them to flac anyway - for several reasons...

JJZolx
2011-09-21, 16:56

I think this may be incorrect. (But please correct me if I'm wrong).

By default, the convert.conf file is set up to use SoX (7.5) or Flac plus SoX (7.6), not Flac only, to stream WAV in Flac format. If you add flac.exe to the system to do the encoding, then you need to add or change the conversion rule. Typically this is done by creating a custom-convert.conf file containing the rule.

It could be that the standard convert.conf file that ships with the SheevaPlug distribution specifies using only Flac, but if flac.exe isn't included with the distro then it seems unlikely.

If flac.exe is unavailable, then the server should stream WAV as PCM natively using the default settings, so requires no changes to the File Types settings. I don't understand why wouldn't play.

pski
2011-09-21, 18:01

Nana Nana Nana. FLAC is best.

Hi Phil

P

gruntwolla
2011-09-22, 03:11

I was off work yesterday, so I spent a couple of hours converting the offending files to flac. At least now I know why Pink Floyd never came up on random play!

Thanks for the info,

Trev

Phil Leigh
2011-09-22, 08:13
I think this may be incorrect. (But please correct me if I'm wrong).

By default, the convert.conf file is set up to use SoX (7.5) or Flac plus SoX (7.6), not Flac only, to stream WAV in Flac format. If you add flac.exe to the system to do the encoding, then you need to add or change the conversion rule. Typically this is done by creating a custom-convert.conf file containing the rule.

It could be that the standard convert.conf file that ships with the SheevaPlug distribution specifies using only Flac, but if flac.exe isn't included with the distro then it seems unlikely.

If flac.exe is unavailable, then the server should stream WAV as PCM natively using the default settings, so requires no changes to the File Types settings. I don't understand why wouldn't play.

I was assuming 7.6...
and yes I should have said it requires FLAC.exe AND SOX.exe...

WAV will not stream BY DEFAULT unless both are available (in 7.6)
You'd have to enable WAV-PCM in Filetypes

JJZolx
2011-09-22, 11:56
WAV will not stream BY DEFAULT unless both are available (in 7.6)
You'd have to enable WAV-PCM in Filetypes

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying. On my system, native streaming of WAV as PCM is enabled by default. Even if I remove both flac.exe and sox.exe (which wouldn't be used for native streaming in any case).

Just tested it... In this setup, with no sox.exe or flac.exe, WAV files stream natively and play fine on all of the players I have in the house.

This screen capture shows the default file type settings for WAV when flac.exe and sox.exe are not present, without having touched anything.

Phil Leigh
2011-09-22, 14:08
On a normal setup both f lac.exe and sox.exe will be present and wav will stream as flac, following the convert.conf precedence rules.

To be honest I have no idea what happens if those two apps are missing...