PDA

View Full Version : Macro to resize artwork images

staresy
2011-09-16, 09:44
Currently I download artwork from the web, import it into photo shop, resize it to 300x300 and save it at medium resolution with a file name of image.jpg

Easy enough but a bit labourious. Has anyone got a macro or exe that I can run, point to the jpeg to be processed and it will do all the work for me?

A useful tool if it exists. Just a thought.

DrS

JerryS
2011-09-16, 10:07
imagemagick does this and more things than you will ever wish to know about. Takes a bit of getting your head around but very powerful.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Jerry

jean2
2011-09-16, 10:31
Easy enough but a bit labourious. Has anyone got a macro or exe that I can run, point to the jpeg to be processed and it will do all the work for me?

A useful tool if it exists. Just a thought.

DrS

Personally, I alway save it in the folder at max resolution, and I have a script that makes a smaller copy for SBS (TinySB in my case) in the same directory. Max resolution is useful because you may change your mind later on, and screens seems to always get bigger.
The trick is that SBS reads file in a certain order, so you create the small file as a file SBS would read before the big file.

More in here, including PHP script :
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82070

Jean

luny
2011-09-16, 11:48
I use Album Art Extracter for RockBox. Works great.
http://vcardenasblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/album-art-extracter-for-rockbox.html

JJZolx
2011-09-16, 12:33
Currently I download artwork from the web, import it into photo shop, resize it to 300x300 and save it at medium resolution with a file name of image.jpg

Why "image.jpg"? Squeezebox Server recognizes cover.jpg and folder.jpg by default.

I do something similar, but use FastStone Image Viewer, which is mostly an image viewer, with some common image editing features added. Pretty lightweight, so it launches quickly and resizing, cropping, and adjusting things like contrast and brightness are easy.

I'd seriously reconsider resizing to 300x300 unless you need those images to be loaded onto a portable with very little memory. Even if you're embedding them into MP3 files, a 200kB image is a fraction of a 5MB MP3 file. Displays are only going to get larger and higher in resolution, so I'd consider 500x500 or 600x600 to be a minimum.

You're never going to get the quality that doing by hand gives you. If you need to tweak brightness or contrast, or need to crop, say, a 625x600 pixel image down to 600x600, then you can't do that with an automated script.

bobkoure
2011-09-17, 19:16
Currently I download artwork from the web, import it into photo shop, resize it to 300x300 and save it at medium resolution
The challenge to automating this is that downloaded artwork often doesn't have a 1x1 aspect ratio.
So you either force it to 1x1 and distort it, or crop. If you crop, crop from where? Keep the center? Top left? right?

BTW, I've been using 500x500 since version 7 came out (and I started to care about scanned artwork). At the time, that was about the largest size readily available online. Now, it's starting to seem pretty small...