PDA

View Full Version : Vortexbox on Mac?

chrisinparis
2011-09-08, 11:28
Hi

HDD on my mac mini (my SB server) is out at the moment. So was thinking of running Vortexbox from CD. Downloaded 1.10, burnt to CD and booted on my mac. Was hopeful that it'd work, as I spotted an EFI folder in the ISO, but no go.

Has anyone done this successfully (in which cas I'll try another CD) or quite simply will this not work (due to EFI rather than BIOS)?

Regards
Chris

garym
2011-09-08, 11:33
Hi

HDD on my mac mini (my SB server) is out at the moment. So was thinking of running Vortexbox from CD. Downloaded 1.10, burnt to CD and booted on my mac. Was hopeful that it'd work, as I spotted an EFI folder in the ISO, but no go.

Has anyone done this successfully (in which cas I'll try another CD) or quite simply will this not work (due to EFI rather than BIOS)?

Regards
Chris

not 100% sure if this is what you are asking, but you do realize that if you install Vortexbox on your Mac, it will wipe your disk and replace the OS with vortexbox stuff. It is not something you can just run from the CD.You can *install* from the CD.

chrisinparis
2011-09-08, 16:08
I wanted to try it out as a LiveCD.

No matter now, I installed Vortexbox to a VM in Virtualbox, and got a temporary server :)

agillis
2011-09-15, 18:30
Hi

Regards
Chris

VortexBox does not install on a MAC. You can run it under a VM if you want.

paul.raulerson
2011-10-11, 14:50
VortexBox does not install on a MAC. You can run it under a VM if you want.

Huh- that's funny. Any idea why? Fedora loads and boots just fine on a Mac, save the Wireless adapter does not work. Even does so in a Bootcamp partition.

-Paul

garym
2011-10-11, 17:00
Huh- that's funny. Any idea why? Fedora loads and boots just fine on a Mac, save the Wireless adapter does not work. Even does so in a Bootcamp partition.

-Paul

Not sure why you would want this. Vortexbox wipes out what is there and replaces it with the vortexbox system. Your computer wouldn't work for any other use. Vortexbox is fedora based, but is not designed as a general OS.