PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox (and others) on IFA trade show in Berlin

bluegaspode
2011-09-03, 14:23
Some pictures of how Logitech presents their Squeezebox :(
in comparison to Sonos and Philips streamium.

Talked to the sales rep. about the future of Squeezebox and of course he didn't have any news regarding new models. He rather stated that "we have anything that is needed right now with Radio and Touch".

Missing Boom was commented that one could use two Radios.
Missing working touch-server was commented with that he had a ReadyNas at home which worked well.

Along that he showed me the Logitech Controller App of course, to remote control one of his 'nil' Radios *aarrghhh* ... just to start a song from the local library, which didn't even have coverart *arrgghhhh*. I have nothing against the 'no coverart' icon of course, but ...well... *sigh*

Go figure who will sell the most devices in the future ...

Micheal/Andy - if you have anyone from management who still wonders why Squeezeboxes maybe don't sell to their liking - hope this comparisons can open some eyes if anyone still cares.

cege
2011-09-03, 15:34
Had similar thoughts while visiting the Logitech area at IFA Berlin.
Btw: the former well knowledged "Squeezebox"-man which had presented all the good squeezestuff in the past was now talking about the Harmonys etc. instead. Shame on you, Logitech.
And I'm afraid, Logitech will loose in both areas by the way. Smartphones and their connectivity to other media devices will exchange squeeze* and remote control* with all-in-one-control-devices like Android- and I- phones and pad/tabs in the next months. The still available advantages will fade away until Logitech is not inventing some new genoius features.

I currently own a touch, a boom, a radio and 2 classics and I'm still more or less happy with it. But I could immediately switch at least in my music room to pairing my Onkyo-Receiver and the Galaxy SII in order to browse my music either on the phone/internet or on an attached harddrive and play it with the receiver.

So please, Logitech, do something! Let's get it started!

toby10
2011-09-04, 03:56
Would have been funny to ask the Logitech rep "ya know, 'nil' seems a funny name to call your player, why did you name it that?"
Love to see the look on his face and hear his answer. :)

Mnyb
2011-09-04, 04:28
You should not flog the dead horse ;) kick someone who is lying down , is smaller than you... naugthy !

maybe Sonos can have the Squeezebox exhibit inside their pavilion as "the poor cousin from the country" .

Cool pix anyway must go to IFA or CES once in a life have never been there.

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-04, 09:59
It is very sad but Squeezebox died the day Logitech bought Slimdevices. It’s been downhill ever since that day. Logitech doesn’t care about Squeezebox; they don’t understand the Squeezebox. It’s a real shame.
I did try the Sonos system but after a month of usage it was back in the box. Sonos doesn’t have the user experience that Squeezebox has. But sadly Logitech will let the Squeezebox die. I wonder how long the two remaining Squeezebox products will last before they terminate those as well.

amcluesent
2011-09-04, 13:37
>It is very sad but Squeezebox died the day Logitech bought Slimdevices.<

Except that the Duet Receiver turning out to be a lemon and the long, long, long delay in releasing the Touch would have likely meant Slimdevices shuttering due to cash flow crisis. Of course, maybe that's why they sold out to 'the man'.

sander
2011-09-04, 16:20
I always got the impression that Squeeze couldn't fund the R&D/manufacturing of new devices like the Duet and all that started when they were bought by Logitech.

Its an unfortunate state of affairs in terms of improvement, but the system, at least the older versions are capable of a great deal. Hopefully they will get 7.6+ into a good enough version that we can all use it without problems for years to come.

castalla
2011-09-04, 16:40
Most internet-based device manufacturers seem to be struggling with what is essentially a niche market (apart from smart 'phones and tablets).

I switched from Reciva to Logitech because the server based approach seems to allow for much more user interaction - which I've certainly found to be the case And in the case of the Touch the actual interface is much more user friendly (plus the remote is actually usable compared with the awful credit-card remotes most manufactures supply for internet radios).

All in all, I'm really satisfied with my Logitech experience (apart from the recent mysb.com issues - but then Reciva servers often go awol, and there's no possibility to file bug-reports).

Especially wonderful are the BBC iPlayer, iPlayer Extras, and BBC Radio apps/plugins - plus the My Music features (try the eqivalent on Reciva and you'll soon return to Logitech!).

kmr
2011-09-04, 18:58
It is very sad but Squeezebox died the day Logitech bought Slimdevices. It’s been downhill ever since that day. Logitech doesn’t care about Squeezebox; they don’t understand the Squeezebox. It’s a real shame.

This is just so, so very lame. Duet, Boom, Radio, Touch all after the Logitech acquisition. Lots of really good stuff. Problems too, but I wouldn't trade my three radios for another SB3 - I love my SB3, but the Radio form factor and price opened up another entire niche for spreading wireless music throughout the house.

My only complaint about the direction that Logitech is taking the Squeezebox line is the lack of resources devoted to SW devel and test. It's an execution thing, not a vision thing.

pippin
2011-09-04, 19:49
It's a vision thing.
Radio and Touch are products envisioned and developed by people who have long since left Logitech.

erland
2011-09-04, 20:11
My only complaint about the direction that Logitech is taking the Squeezebox line is the lack of resources devoted to SW devel and test. It's an execution thing, not a vision thing.

Well, if you don't know how to market it, it doesn't matter how many SW resources you have access to. At the current level of marketing 5 new developers/testers would be a problem from a cost perspective.

At the moment, based on bluegaspode's pictures, I think they would get more benefit from one more marketing resourse than one more developer/tester. More developers/testers will of course still be needed but not before they know how to sell the products.

It's not too late for Logitech to wake up yet, but it's getting more and more urgent.

Still, the good thing is that all my current Squeezeboxes will be excellent music players for years to come, with or without Logitech. The issue is just that without Logitech it will get harder to expand the system to more rooms, but at the moment I'm out of rooms to put them in, so for me personally it's not an issue yet.

Mnyb
2011-09-04, 23:30
This is a problem , their model depends on continues new sales of players .
That's where the money comes from

You get updates to the server software for free .

You get new possibilities and updates at the mysqueezebox.com portal now and then (albeit some of it certainly paid by some service vendors ) .

If only kept my SB3 from 2006 I've could got a lot of milage from that one , I have now expanded to more players like so many others But I,m also out of rooms now .

5 years of free software maintenance for a 230$ product that's nice :)

But they need to move more player to get a cashflow .
And as the user-base grows they get secondary incomes from service vendors .

Even if we here have all sort of opinions on how niche and nerdy this system can be and how it can be improved .

It is still undermarketted for what it is. As the squeezebox systems stands now with the avaible players and servers . It still possible to sell more to people who wants it just like it is, It may not be sales volumes to compete with apple , but I'm convinced that it is several times the current user-base.

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-05, 01:28
Well most company’s model depends on product sales. There is no difference for Squeezebox. And that’s what I meant with “Logitech doesn’t understand Squeezebox”. Logitech is good at “keyboard and mice” type of products. You don’t need advanced marketing programs for those types of products. It is a totally different story for Squeezebox. This is a niche market type of product and it requires more marketing attention (Sonos is good at that). Logitech entered into a vicious circle with Squeezebox; by not giving this product line the attention it requires, sales of these devices are not climbing (probably declining and more customers going for the Sonos products). While sales are declining, Logitech will spend less attention to the Squeezebox product line. Eventually they will most probably drop it.
I still hope that Logitech wakes up and realizes they mistake. From a user experience angle Squeezebox is still ahead of Sonos so it is not to late yet. But time is running out.

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-05, 01:38
Duet, Boom, Radio, Touch all after the Logitech acquisition.
Although the Boom was released during the Logitech age, this was still a Slimdevices product. It was build based on the SB3 platform and most Slimdevices personal were still (more or less) driving the company.
The Radio and the Touch are pure Logitech products.
But all that is not so important. The fact that the attention that the Squeezebox product line received went downhill under the Logitech wings is important, but very sad.
I consider the lack of new Squeezebox products even less problematic than the terrible SBS software releases. It is problems like these that chase away potential new customers and it gives a bad reputation to the Squeezebox lineup.

socistep
2011-09-05, 02:23
I find it very frustrating, there are some great products in the SB line and a loyal and dedicated user community some of who are producing some excellent add-ons to enhance the system.

Yet Logitech have cut the team, reduced the marketing and seemingly has no strategy for the future - its sad to see how weak the product line looks against Sonos and Streamium in those pictures

I'm happy with the way my system works, I have 4 zones (plus one player boxed), a vortexbox server and it all hangs together well - however we all want to play with new toys and look for improvements to what we have - its part of being into gadgets/technology/streamers

lowfi
2011-09-05, 06:15
Not sure what to think of this....

To me sonos is not a good alternative. Too expensive. No alarmclock player, no software player...

:(

garym
2011-09-05, 06:26

To me sonos is not a good alternative. Too expensive. No alarmclock player, no software player...

and ... 65,000 track limit (maybe less depending on tagging), no hirez, controller app not at the level of ipeng or squeezepad. No plugins like erland's dynamic playlist, sql playlist, etc.

erland
2011-09-05, 09:33
The Radio and the Touch are pure Logitech products.

I'm not sure that's the case, at least not regarding hardware, I believe Sean and Dean were still employed by Logitech when the Radio and Touch hardware were developed even though both had left when Radio was officially released. My feeling is that the pure Logitech product will be the one coming after the Touch, not sure if that's going to be the Revue or something else we haven't seen yet.

pippin
2011-09-05, 10:21
Most importantly, the architecture behind all this was already developed for the Controller.

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-05, 13:44
It does make sense that the Radio and Touch are based on the controller hardware. Anyway, the hardware is not the issue. The biggest concerns are related to software.

Off topic, but does anyone know what Sean and Dean are doing these days?

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-05, 13:48

I did try Sonos but after a month re-installed my SB3 in the main listening area. Sonos still has a long way to go before it will have the user experience of a Squeezebox system.
It is way too expensive for the product you get in return. It lacks a lot of basic functionality. Functionality I couldn’t live without.

pippin
2011-09-05, 20:10
It does make sense that the Radio and Touch are based on the controller hardware. Anyway, the hardware is not the issue. The biggest concerns are related to software.

I said architecture.
It's indeed th software, not the hardware which is shared between the controller and the new Squeezeboxes. Except for some firmware details (mostly drivers) and of course the embedded server, the Controller runs the same software as Radio and Touch.

chrisinparis
2011-09-08, 04:14
...I love my SB3, but the Radio form factor and price opened up another entire niche for spreading wireless music throughout the house.

Absolutley - my Radio is just perfect in the kitchen. Would have been a hassle reuslting in an ugly mess if I'd to go SB receiver and computer speakers. Also the gf likes it - surely the ultimate compliment!

Unfortunately this is very true... Anyway, fingers crossed.