PDA

View Full Version : setup SlimDevices SqueezeBox without remote

rcmcdougle
2011-09-02, 09:40
Is it possible to setup the above device without a remote. I just moved and can't find the remote. I just want to get back to my music. Any ideas?

JJZolx
2011-09-02, 09:56
If you keep or mimic your old network setup then you should be able to just plug everything in and it should work.

The following software tool is a little geeky, but it should work for the Squeezebox as well as it does for the Receiver.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861

Mnyb
2011-09-02, 09:57
Is it possible to setup the above device without a remote. I just moved and can't find the remote. I just want to get back to my music. Any ideas?

What model exactly ?

rcmcdougle
2011-09-02, 20:05
My device is a SlimDevices SqueezeBox v3. I'll take a look at the thread suggested above as well. I also do have a few universal remotes and wonder if anyone know of possible codes that might work for the SqueezeBox.

tcutting
2011-09-02, 20:36
The thread posted is for setting up a receiver without the controller (assuming you had a Duet, which isn't the case).
As that poster also mentioned, if your new network "looks" like the old network, it should just work. Did you change your network settings of network name? The server name or settings?
There are alternate remote settings which are supposed to work - I think JVC DVD? Someone else may be able to help more there.
Worst case, you could order a Touch remote (but it will take a few days to get).

JJZolx
2011-09-02, 20:44
The thread posted is for setting up a receiver without the controller (assuming you had a Duet, which isn't the case).

I've never used it, but my understanding was that the script should work for any ip3k based player: SB1, SB2, SB3, Transporter or Boom.

Mnyb
2011-09-02, 21:04
Wonder if the jvc code support is at the fw level, the server understands it and you can disable/eneble it on the server. So can a jvc remote access th fw menus ?

rcmcdougle
2011-09-03, 09:30
My move generated all new network setup. New ISP - DSL - router. Nothing is as it was. All good but for the loss of the remote.

I will try the JVC DVD remote codes later and if that fails I will dig into the perl script. Hope something works as this device suits me fine. It sat hardwired in a remote corner of my media cabinet and I never looked at it or touched it. Don't have any use for all the evolved features of the newer boxes.

JJZolx
2011-09-03, 09:43
My move generated all new network setup. New ISP - DSL - router. Nothing is as it was. All good but for the loss of the remote.

You're operating wirelessly, correct? Do you have access to the router's configuration?

If so, and you were to do the following, the player should be able to connect to the new router without any reconfiguration. These are internal network settings, so they wouldn't have any affect on the operation of the modem in connecting to your ISP.

1. Give it the same SSID (wireless network name).
2. Use the same type of security/authentication.
3. Give it the same wireless password.

I'd leave #2 alone and try 1 and 3 first.

rcmcdougle
2011-09-03, 19:48
I am using the SBv3 which has no wireless functionality. New network devices and ip addresses required by the ISP's DSL modem setup. Nothing is the same as previous network.

I am going for the perl now...

JJZolx
2011-09-03, 20:26
I am using the SBv3 which has no wireless functionality. New network devices and ip addresses required by the ISP's DSL modem setup. Nothing is the same as previous network.

I am going for the perl now...

If it's wired, there's very little to do. You don't even have to set up wireless networking. The only thing that I can think that would keep the SB3 from automatically connecting to the server is if the server has a different IP address on the new network. I'm not talking about your external IP address as assigned by your ISP, which doesn't matter.

Is your internal network addressed differently than the old one? If it's on the same subnet (typically 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x), try to figure out/remember what the server's IP address was before and assign it the same address statically.

Mnyb
2011-09-03, 21:40
should it not the server be autodiscovered anyway ? It can have diferent ip, player would find it anyway trough the autodiscovere if port 3483 udp/tcp is open on the server.

But it migth somehowe have ended up in a situation where it needs a > from a remote to connect or somesuch :-/

If it's connected with ethernet, one could check in the router if it really is conected and having an ip adress, if dhcp was used in previus install, it should just connnect and get a new ip .

rcmcdougle
2011-09-05, 16:10
Success... SBv3 up and running! I had to download and install Active Perl in order to run the perl script but the script worked as advertised. Now if I can get the large time readout back when the SB is in the off postion...

Thanks again to all who helped.

Robb

backball
2018-05-19, 02:24
I have a similar situation with my SB Classic. However given I haven't used it for a while - and now want to create another zone - I'm not sure this is a problem with the Squeezebox itself or I need a remote (or the Perl Script mentioned earlier in the thread).

Here's what happens:

1. Power On
2. Logitech logo appears
3. "Squeezebox" appears
4. "Welcome to squeezebox (to begin setup press the right arrow)"
5. Automatically goes to next message "Connecting to wireless network..."
after about 4 secs the display goes blank and nothing happens from then on and given I don't have a remote I can't do anything else.

NOTES:
* I'm on the same subnet than the LMS 7.9.1
* Also I'm using the Ethernet connection on the Squeezebox not wireless
* This Squeezebox has never run on this network nor is it registered on the LMS instance

Any idea what happens here?

Thanks guys

Mnyb
2018-05-19, 05:41
I have a similar situation with my SB Classic. However given I haven't used it for a while - and now want to create another zone - I'm not sure this is a problem with the Squeezebox itself or I need a remote (or the Perl Script mentioned earlier in the thread).

Here's what happens:

1. Power On
2. Logitech logo appears
3. "Squeezebox" appears
4. "Welcome to squeezebox (to begin setup press the right arrow)"
5. Automatically goes to next message "Connecting to wireless network..."
after about 4 secs the display goes blank and nothing happens from then on and given I don't have a remote I can't do anything else.

NOTES:
* I'm on the same subnet than the LMS 7.9.1
* Also I'm using the Ethernet connection on the Squeezebox not wireless
* This Squeezebox has never run on this network nor is it registered on the LMS instance

Any idea what happens here?

Thanks guys

Yep you need Remote or perlscript , its setup for wi-fi you need to press left and go into,the setup menu and chose ethernet

backball
2018-05-19, 06:31
Yep you need Remote or perlscript , its setup for wi-fi you need to press left and go into,the setup menu and chose ethernet

Dont have the remote and re the Perl script unfortuntely it doesn't discover the player. I think I read somewhere that for the Perl script to work the Squeezebox player has to be in initial setup mode which I cant get into given no remote. So am I stuffed here?

Paul Webster
2018-05-19, 08:02
Phone a friend with a programmable remote?
My guess is more chance of that than a local SB owner but you never know.

iPhone
2018-05-19, 09:18
Dont have the remote and re the Perl script unfortuntely it doesn't discover the player. I think I read somewhere that for the Perl script to work the Squeezebox player has to be in initial setup mode which I cant get into given no remote. So am I stuffed here?

This is why you make as many Local Squeezebox friends as possible and/or buy spares off Ebay!

All joking aside, just order a SB remote or if you could use a universal to control a group of electronics in a rack, get a Harmony Remote as most of them work with Squeezebox last time I checked (I have three different Harmony remotes and all three work with my IR Squeezeboxen).

bpa
2018-05-19, 10:13
The net::UDAP probably doesn't discover since player is set up to use wireless so you could try to set up a wifi AP (e.g. using an old router with SSID and password the SB player knows) and then connect the wireless AP to your LAN. Then net::udap may work as player would appear on LAN.

toby10
2018-05-20, 03:03
Long shot on the off chance your LMS was set to allow extra remote.... try a universal remote set to JVC_DVD

backball
2018-05-20, 04:47
Thanks for the input, guys.

I found an old remote for my Denon receiver that when looking at the user guide can be programmed. The Denon remote requires a 5 digit number code and the assignment seems simple enough. Question is what code do I use. So I had a look at the Squeezebox wiki talking about reset (i.e. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La st_FW). So button "Add" does a factory reset (press button and power on the unit).

Looking at this page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Remote_IR_codes button "Add" either has a code of 609F or 069F (not sure what the difference between the two columns is). Trouble is this is what looks to be HEX and I need a 5 digit numeric number. So do I simply convert this from HEX to DEC which gives me 24735 or 01785 respectively. How does this compare to the JVC DVD codes some of you mention? When I did a search on this I get a number of codes for JVC DVD; i.e. 2017, 2028, 2047, 2090, 2096, 2097, 2115, 2166, 2204, 2206, 2217, 2218, 2232, 2242, 2283, 2359, 2360, 2361, 2362, 2364, 2365, 2366, 2367. None of these codes compare with the "Add" button mentioned earlier.

I tried assigning 24735, 01785 and a number of the JVC DVD codes listed - none of which works to force a factory reset. Now it's entirely possible that the IR receiver on the classic (it's one of the first v3 branded "Slim Devices") is broken but before I go down that path I'd like to verify whether I'm at the right path above with my attempts at programming my remote.

Paul Webster
2018-05-20, 09:10
I suggest trying to reprogram one of the Denon buttons to the code of a device that you know works - e.g. Your TV (if you can find a code for it).
If that works then you know that the basic approach is correct.

backball
2018-05-21, 03:40
I suggest trying to reprogram one of the Denon buttons to the code of a device that you know works - e.g. Your TV (if you can find a code for it).
If that works then you know that the basic approach is correct.

Good idea. I tried to program the code for my TV and it worked. Trouble is the remote appears to only accept certain codes which brings me back to the above point. What code do I use? 24735, 01785 or some code for JVC DVDs?

On a totally different approach I saw remotes for Squeezebox Boom which has a '+' button (I believe this is the Add button on the Classic remote. Could that work?

kidstypike
2018-05-21, 03:48
Good idea. I tried to program the code for my TV and it worked. Trouble is the remote appears to only accept certain codes which brings me back to the above point. What code do I use? 24735, 01785 or some code for JVC DVDs?

On a totally different approach I saw remotes for Squeezebox Boom which has a '+' button (I believe this is the Add button on the Classic remote. Could that work?

All Squeezebox remotes are interchangeable, the Boom remote will work fine with the Classic. You don't get the numeric buttons though, so if you need to input your SSID/password etc., you'll need to scroll through the letters/numbers.

Good luck.

backball
2018-05-21, 04:09
All Squeezebox remotes are interchangeable, the Boom remote will work fine with the Classic. You don't get the numeric buttons though, so if you need to input your SSID/password etc., you'll need to scroll through the letters/numbers.

Good luck.

Thanks. May have to go down that route

Paul Webster
2018-05-21, 04:21
According to the Slimdevices wiki ... be careful with the Boom remote and the repeated +

Why we prefer to have the complete IR code repeated over and over again
To do a factory reset on SB3, TR or Boom we ask the user to press and hold the add (+) key while powering up the device. Now if you use a SB3/TR remote the add key code is received as soon as the device is able to read from the IR receiver and all is good, a factory reset is done.

However if a Boom remote is used the only code the device 'sees' when it is ready, is the special repeat code which does not tell about what key was actually pressed and held and no factory reset is done.

Which I interpret to mean that if using a Boom remote to perform the "+" reset then press the key frequently rather than simply holding it down.

backball
2018-05-21, 04:28
According to the Slimdevices wiki ... be careful with the Boom remote and the repeated +

Which I interpret to mean that if using a Boom remote to perform the "+" reset then press the key frequently rather than simply holding it down.

Thanks. Will take that into account if I have to try this...

Paul Webster
2018-05-21, 04:31
Also - when you made it control your TV did you enter a code for the TV as a whole or just for 1 button?
Usually when working with programmable remotes you enter a code for the other device as a whole and if it already has it in its firmware then it maps all of the appropriate keys and you press a device selection button to switch to them.

From https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75 ... I interpreted that to mean that unless you go into the learning function and teach it each code from another device then it is a device spec that is needed not a key spec.

Mnyb
2018-05-23, 19:36
The Remote from Squeezebox Touch Will also work.

backball
2018-06-07, 07:55
The Remote from Squeezebox Touch Will also work.

Some progress:
* Received the Boom remote and was able to get the Squeezebox Classic into factory reset
* Configured network (Ethernet) and the box got an IP address
* I'm stuck at the "Software update" section. I need to press and hold the "brightness" button which of course I don't have on a Boom remote

Is there a way to now use Net-UDAP?
I have both a compiled version for Windows (Aug 2014, 1,373KB) and a version running on Perl; I can start the shell but both versions throw some error messages when I try the command 'discover'
What state does the SB Classic have to be in for this discovery to work or can't I use Net-UDAP for this box?

JJZolx
2018-06-07, 09:18
* I'm stuck at the "Software update" section. I need to press and hold the "brightness" button which of course I don't have on a Boom remote

Does it need a firmware update? A Classic would have had to have been taken out of service many years ago to not have the latest firmware.

If you like, it should be possible to skip the update. I don't recall all the logic involved, but try going into settings and disable software updates (Settings > Advanced > Software Updates) and remove the firmware file from the cache/updates directory on the server. Then restart the server and player.

Mnyb
2018-06-07, 12:21
That player canít been updated for a while , if I remember the later versions allowed auto update , no need to press the brightness button ?

backball
2018-06-08, 07:23
All good now :)

There's an option to auto-update firmware as described here --> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Automatic_Firmware_Upgrade

Once I've set this the player automatically pulled down the latest firmware (137) from the server and fired up after at least 10 years in hibernation. Beautiful the see that display come to life with some spectrum.

To recap
* I stumbled upon an old Squeezebox Classic V3 and was wondering whether I can still use it'
* It started but wanted to connect to the old network no longer available
* Couldn't hard reset the player as I didn't have the remote anymore; Net-UDAP didn't work so I bought a Boom remote
* The remote allowed me to do a hard reset and connect to the network (I use Ethernet)
* Firmware upgrade didn't work as the remote doesn't have a brightness button
* Found on the slimdevices wiki (see URL above) that you can set the player to firmware auto-update which I've done
* Restarted player and it pulled the latest firmware from the LMS server
* Happy camper :)

Still impressed by how well this Squeezebox/LMS eco system started by Slim Devices hangs so well together to this day.

Thanks again for all the help.

RalphO1
2018-10-14, 11:27
Hi I need some help. I have been working through this thread but I am not sure I have found the solution.

My situation is that I have a SB3 and a transporter. Both of the remotes I have no longer work. That has not been a problem because I have been using ipeng and a few other apps to control them. The issue is now accelerating because I have a new internet provider and modem/router. The new equipment comes with a set name and password so if I want to connect my SB3 and Transporter to the new network I need to set it up (password, network name etc.) and to do that I need a working remote. I have a temporary solution and that is to connect my old router to the new equipment. To make it all work I had to connect the PC running the Logitech Media Server to the old router and now I have music again. However, I also have a network now that is only running for the SB3 etc. Long term I would like to find a way to run my SB3 etc. on the new system and connect the PC to it as well. I am open to most options including:

-buying a new remote, can someone recommend a good source
-an alternative way of setting up the SB3 etc. without a remote

Any assistance would be appreciated.

toby10
2018-10-15, 02:11
I'd just change the network name & encryption & passcode on new router to what was on old router I've been through three routers in last 15 years or so and none of my devices have needed to be changed or even know they are connected to a different router. Much easier to change one device (router) than to change a dozen individual network devices.

Why can't you change such setup on the new router? I'm sure it's possible.

If not then another option is using NET/UDAP utility (lot of info of this on these forums).

RalphO1
2018-10-15, 14:27
I'd just change the network name & encryption & passcode on new router to what was on old router I've been through three routers in last 15 years or so and none of my devices have needed to be changed or even know they are connected to a different router. Much easier to change one device (router) than to change a dozen individual network devices.

Why can't you change such setup on the new router? I'm sure it's possible.

If not then another option is using NET/UDAP utility (lot of info of this on these forums).

In answer to your question. The new router will revert to the original SSID and Password if there is a power outage of more than 5 seconds.

Apesbrain
2018-10-15, 14:44
The new router will revert to the original SSID and Password if there is a power outage of more than 5 seconds.

I've never heard of that. Is it a "feature"? Seems like a security weakness.

Anyway, I recently purchased a Radio remote for $13 on eBay and it works fine. Also works with Touch. Not sure about SB3/Transporter, but I don't think there's any difference.

toby10
2018-10-16, 01:43
In answer to your question. The new router will revert to the original SSID and Password if there is a power outage of more than 5 seconds.

I find that highly unlikely. This should only happen if you perform a Factory Reset. If true, I'd find another router.
In fact, a common suggested maintenance routine for all routers is a periodic reboot (remove power) to maintain connectivity and stability and even security.

I've never heard of that. Is it a "feature"? Seems like a security weakness.

Exactly. ;)