PDA

View Full Version : another computer on the network



gruntwolla
2011-08-31, 09:31
Hi folks,

I've installed Squeezeserver on my wife's laptop, which is on my network,and all is good. What I cannot sem to get my head around though, is how to access the server on the laptop from my desktop computer.OS is Windows 7 on both. The laptop is connected ok, because I can play music wirelessly.

The reason I ask is I'm considering getting a sheevaplug to run all my squeezeboxen, and I want to get any networking issues clear in my head before proceeding.

I relise this is not exactly a squeezebox issue, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable,helpful people on these forums,so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated,

Trev

Phil Leigh
2011-08-31, 09:40
Hi folks,

I've installed Squeezeserver on my wife's laptop, which is on my network,and all is good. What I cannot sem to get my head around though, is how to access the server on the laptop from my desktop computer.OS is Windows 7 on both. The laptop is connected ok, because I can play music wirelessly.

The reason I ask is I'm considering getting a sheevaplug to run all my squeezeboxen, and I want to get any networking issues clear in my head before proceeding.

I relise this is not exactly a squeezebox issue, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable,helpful people on these forums,so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated,

Trev

Just install Squeezeplay on the desktop...

andynormancx
2011-08-31, 09:48
Try opening a web browser and typing "http://servername:9000/" into the address bar (where "servername" is the name of your wife's laptop).

If that doesn't work then use the IP address of the server instead of the name.

Phil Leigh
2011-08-31, 09:55
Try opening a web browser and typing "http://servername:9000/" into the address bar (where "servername" is the name of your wife's laptop).

If that doesn't work then use the IP address of the server instead of the name.

That will let the OP control the server - but it isn't a player. I'm not sure what the OP wants to do...

andynormancx
2011-08-31, 10:01
Given that he didn't mention playback at all, I thought I'd keep things as simple as possible.

Phil Leigh
2011-08-31, 10:57
Given that he didn't mention playback at all, I thought I'd keep things as simple as possible.

:-)

cunobelinus
2011-08-31, 13:44
I'd guess that by "access the server on the laptop from my desktop" he means he wants to control the server on the laptop - and so all his SBs - from his desktop, not just from the laptop. (Answer: forget the desktop and use an iPod/iPhone/iPad and iPeng!)



On 31 Aug 2011, at 17:55, Phil Leigh wrote:

>
> andynormancx;654410 Wrote:
>> Try opening a web browser and typing "http://servername:9000/" into the
>> address bar (where "servername" is the name of your wife's laptop).
>>
>> If that doesn't work then use the IP address of the server instead of
>> the name.
>
> That will let the OP control the server - but it isn't a player. I'm
> not sure what the OP wants to do...
>
>
> --
> Phil Leigh
>
> You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it
> ain't what you'd call minimal...
> Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
> - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
> Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
> 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
> Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
> Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Phil Leigh's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=85
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=90057
>
>

Squeezed_Rotel
2011-08-31, 15:27
Hi folks,

I've installed Squeezeserver on my wife's laptop, which is on my network,and all is good. What I cannot sem to get my head around though, is how to access the server on the laptop from my desktop computer.OS is Windows 7 on both. The laptop is connected ok, because I can play music wirelessly.

The reason I ask is I'm considering getting a sheevaplug to run all my squeezeboxen, and I want to get any networking issues clear in my head before proceeding.

I relise this is not exactly a squeezebox issue, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable,helpful people on these forums,so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated,

Trev

If I understand your question/problem correctly, you would like to RDP from one W7 to another W7. Only w7 pro will allow this.

castalla
2011-08-31, 15:32
Ultimate does RDP too.

And advisedly, if the OP can't figure out how to access sbs on another PC, then I'd hesitate to advise they take the sheevaplug route!

Still, different strokes for different folks.

It's all good.

gruntwolla
2011-09-01, 01:03
Hi again,

Thanks for all you replies. I'll try and make it clearer what I want to do.At present,I use my dektop as a server, and it's on 24/7,with all my music on the hard drive. Everything works well, but I'd like to get a sheevaplug and an external hard drive, which will be on 24/7, enabling me to free up space on my desktop and not run it 24/7. With that in mind, I thought I'd experiment by installing a server on my wifes laptop,and plugging in a spare external hd we have lying around.

So... this is now done, and it's fine. I turn on a boom for example, select my wifes laptop as a music source, and all the music on that hd is there, and it plays over wifi perfectly.

I have studied www.sheevaplug.de, and I reckon there's nothing to be scared of there ( although I take your point Castalla!)but if I get to the stage with the plug that I've got to now with the laptop, there's gonna be a time when I want to access the server for maintenance/plugins etc.

On my dektop, I can see my wifes laptop on the network - I just don't know how to access her desktop/folders/files

andynormancx
2011-09-01, 02:13
That is all a bit clearer. So you have two issues:

- access Squeezebox Server to change settings, select music, install plugins etc
- access the underlying computer to access other things

The first of this is done by using your webbrowser to browse to "http://servername:9000/", as I described previously. That will be the same whether you are using the laptop or the Plug as the server (except that the server name will change).

The second is more complicated and what you do and how you do it will change depending on whether you are using the laptop or the Plug as the server (because they run very different operating systems from each other).

On the laptop you would create Windows shares to access files from your machine. You would use the Windows Remote Desktop client to login to the laptop remotely, but that would only work if the laptop is running the Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows.

On the Plug you would use its web interface to create file shares that you can access from your computer. To make more advanced changes you might need to use ssh to connect to run commandline commands on the Plug.

gruntwolla
2011-09-01, 10:30
Ultimate does RDP too.

And advisedly, if the OP can't figure out how to access sbs on another PC, then I'd hesitate to advise they take the sheevaplug route!

Still, different strokes for different folks.

It's all good.

FWIW, 2 years ago I didn't know what a router was,let alone wifi players etc etc, but by doing some research and asking questions mainly on these forums, I now have music throughout the house, have had very few problems,and am thoroughly enjoying the whole squeezebox experience.

Are you seriously suggesting that I cannot learn anymore? That I should just be thankful for what I've got? I recall a bit of a rant recently from yourself about greybeards. Have you become one?!!

castalla
2011-09-01, 10:47
Well done.

gruntwolla
2011-09-01, 12:02
That is all a bit clearer. So you have two issues:

- access Squeezebox Server to change settings, select music, install plugins etc
- access the underlying computer to access other things

The first of this is done by using your webbrowser to browse to "http://servername:9000/", as I described previously. That will be the same whether you are using the laptop or the Plug as the server (except that the server name will change).

The second is more complicated and what you do and how you do it will change depending on whether you are using the laptop or the Plug as the server (because they run very different operating systems from each other).

Trev
On the laptop you would create Windows shares to access files from your machine. You would use the Windows Remote Desktop client to login to the laptop remotely, but that would only work if the laptop is running the Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows.

On the Plug you would use its web interface to create file shares that you can access from your computer. To make more advanced changes you might need to use ssh to connect to run commandline commands on the Plug.

I used the ip address as you suggested, and as stated elsewhere " it's all good". Much appreciated,

Trev