PDA

View Full Version : SB3 won't play, SBR does

Grumpy Bob
2011-08-27, 23:27
This is a situation that seems to have occurred overnight! I'm running the following:
SBS Version: 7.5.2 - r31632 on a QNAP TS-239 NAS server
Two SB Radios connected wirelessly
One SB3 (it's running firmware 131) connected wirelessly

This morning I find the SB3 cannot play music. I can navigate the collection either via the SB3 remote or via Squeezepad, select tracks, the tracks appear on the SB3 screen, but they don't start playing. Same happens with Internet Radio (played through the iPlayer plugin). Both the SB Radios happily play the music files and radio streams, as does Squeezepad.

I've rebooted the SB3 - this makes no difference, nor does restarting SBS. I cannot connect the SB3 to mysqueezebox.com - the screen goes blank.

Is there an obvious thing to do to figure out what's going on?

Robert

SOLVED (though I have no explanation) - I moved the SB3 upstairs to the router and connected it via ethernet. I played tracks OK. Back downstairs, I attached it wirelessly. After setting up the network, tracks seem to play fine again.

I'd be interested to know if there's a rational explanation! It still won't connect to mysqueezebox.com, but since I never use that anyway, I happy.

Grumpy Bob
2011-08-28, 00:30
I think this has something to do with playing Ogg Vorbis files - if I try to play an ogg file, the player hangs and needs to be rebooted before it can play any other file.

In SBS settings, there's a page for file types OGG is set to:
AIFF: sox
FLAC: sox
MP3: sox/lame
OGG Vorbis: Native

Is there some issue with those?

Robert

toby10
2011-08-28, 02:17
It likely is connecting to MySB (though you may not want too), there was a bug where the SB3 would get a blank screen when getting an update from MySB.
Connecting to MySB will force an update to 7.6.1, connecting back to your SBS will force a downgrade to 7.5.2

When connecting SB3 to MySB try pressing & holding the Brightness button to accept the update.

Grumpy Bob
2011-08-28, 05:05
Actually, the connection to mysqueezebox.com isn't very important as I rarely do that. I'm more interested in figuring out how to play ogg files: if I inadvertently play one of these, it clogs up the SB3 until I do a power down reboot. I am wondering if it's to do with SBS settings under Advanced | Filetypes...

Robert

Mnyb
2011-08-28, 05:15
Actually, the connection to mysqueezebox.com isn't very important as I rarely do that. I'm more interested in figuring out how to play ogg files: if I inadvertently play one of these, it clogs up the SB3 until I do a power down reboot. I am wondering if it's to do with SBS settings under Advanced | Filetypes...

Robert

You can disable native playback and force the server to transcode all ogg, If I remember correctly the ogg decoder in the SB3 is not able to play all possible ogg files, it has some limits , very high compression is one, I think.
So maybe the Server stand a better chance at it .

Grumpy Bob
2011-08-28, 06:18
I assume that where SBS lists these options under Ogg Vorbis, these are transcoded streams?

AIFF: sox
FLAC: sox
MP3: sox/lame
OGG Vorbis: Native

The alternative to 'Native' for Ogg Vorbis files is 'Disabled'. I'll try that and see what happens.

Robert

toby10
2011-08-29, 03:24
Actually, the connection to mysqueezebox.com isn't very important as I rarely do that.....

Yes, I was just explaining one of the most common reasons for a blank SB3 screen.
You are running SBS 7.5.2 so MySB will push an update to your SB3 every time it connects which can very likely cause the blank screen. ;)

Grumpy Bob
2011-08-29, 08:07
Yes, that's one of the reasons I rarely/never connect to MySB...

Anyway, I disabled the native Ogg decoder, and the SB3 now plays the ogg files. So that was the principal problem solved.

R