PDA

View Full Version : Boom crashes my linksys router

kotarak
2011-08-26, 08:16
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my new Boom, crashing my linksys router every time I try to access Internet from the Boom (Internet Radio, connecting to mysqueezebox.com etc). It will not connect to the internet source and then the linksys router (BSFX41) will just crash - all light blinking and no access to the router, droping Internet for the whole network. Restart of the router fixes the problem until I try to play Internet Radio on the Boom again.
Other than that my network has been very stable and I've been using this configuration for many years with number of machines and wireless devices (smart phines, linksys media players, etc). The trouble started when I bought the Boom.

I tried both static IP and DHCP to no avail. I am connecting the Boom via wireless connection (Linksys access point WAP54 connected to the router) and the Squeezebox server (ver. 7.5.4) is running on Synology DiskStation DS710+).
The boom never looses connectivity to the rest of the network and the Squezeebox server even when the router crashes - it works fine and plays from the music library located on the NAS.
The issiue is only apperant when the Boom looks "outside" of my LAN - even the SuperDateTime plugin or RSS feed will crash the router.
btw. the linksys firmware is up to date and I never had such problems with anything else.

Any help willl be greatly apreciated!

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 08:30
What is the booms ip adress gataway , dns, etc,.What is the router ip ?

can it be some ip conflict

kotarak
2011-08-26, 08:48
The router is set as 192.168.1.1
when in DHCP mode it assigns IPs in the range of .100 to .129.
The boom usually gets .105 or .106 as there are other devices on the net using DHCP.
I also tested the Boom in static IP mode with different IPs that I know for sure are available.
Boom's gateway is the router - 192.168.1.1 and DNS is my ISP's DNS (manually entered or assigned by the router in the DHCP mode).

When the router crashes and it does almost immediately when Boom looks for Internet connection, all of the 4 link lights blink together. The built-in switch doesnt crash (strangely) - it still maintains the network - I have NAS, Wifi Access point, a computer and a link to another 8 port switch connected to the router and the network still works - just the GW becomes dead (no Internet and no web acceess to the router interface). As I said before, boom is still connected to the squeezebox server and can play from the NAS.

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 09:05
The wifi AP is this conected/ configured corectly ?

A good experiment would be to conect the boom directly to the router via ethernet , and try if it works then ?

subnet mask is set at 255.255.255.000 ? Btw

garym
2011-08-26, 09:23
I have NAS, Wifi Access point, a computer and a link to another 8 port switch connected to the router

and nothing odd going on with the other wifi AP (i.e., this is not also a router with DHCP turned ON?)

kotarak
2011-08-26, 10:25
Subnet is 255.255.255.0. There is only one Access Point in the network. It is configured with WEP security and Mixed (B+G) mode.
I'll test it with wired connection too. The AP will keep working after the router crashes as I can control Boom from the squeezebox server (running on Synology DS710+) and play media fine.

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 10:41
Do you have anything old that uses B mode ? If not turn it to G mode only, that would not solve this problem but it's good anyway, while at it don't use Mac filtering or hide the ssid , this will not fix your problem either but these are useless settings better to avoid.

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 10:49
i assume you have something old that needs WEP this encryption is not considered secure nowdays WAP would be better, but again probably not a part of the problem.

The wag54 is it used in AP mode ?

Soulkeeper
2011-08-26, 12:04
The BEFSX41 doesn't have WiFi, so it's no use troubleshooting the WiFi settings. The router doesn't care, nor does it have any way of knowing, what's going on with the radio waves.

But I found an interesting forum thread (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r11807105-BEFSX41-crash-after-tracert-) saying all 1.50.x versions of the firmware crash when running tracert. Hmmmmmmmm ...

You can test this by opening a command line shell (cmd) and typing: tracert google.com

If the router crashes when you hit enter, you should upgrade its firmware.

EDIT:
btw. the linksys firmware is up to date and I never had such problems with anything else.
Oops, I missed that. Well, perhaps it's time for a brand new 1000mbit router then? ;)

toby10
2011-08-27, 04:16
Seems very unlikely a SqueezeBox player would actually cause a router to crash. I'd look into router & network settings.
I agree with Mnyb, turn OFF mixed mode (G only) and don't bother with WEP (use WPA2+AES), if possible.
Are you broadcasting the SSID? Other networks around you on the same WiFi ch?

Mnyb
2011-08-27, 04:37
I'm just curious what happens if he bypasses the AP I don't think it's wifi issue .

In fact I don't know what to think but normal fault tracing is to exclude things trying to narrow down the problem.

A thing to test would be to disconect everything and only have Boom connected with ehternet to router and try internetradio via mysqueezebox.com

If it works then I would gradually ad more stuff until the failure occurs again, can it be a possible ip conflict with something else on the AP ?

tricia
2015-01-11, 10:51
I notice too that sometimes when I listen to Internet radio on my boom my Draytek router will crash/freeze and need a reboot. Everything else is fine and network was running fine for days or weeks right up until I play internet radio on my boom. It doesn't do it straight away, but after a few 10s of minutes. Other times it's fine.

toby10
2015-01-12, 05:11
I notice too that sometimes when I listen to Internet radio on my boom my Draytek router will crash/freeze and need a reboot. Everything else is fine and network was running fine for days or weeks right up until I play internet radio on my boom. It doesn't do it straight away, but after a few 10s of minutes. Other times it's fine.

Likely a router/network issue than a device (Boom) issue. Sure there are no duplicate IP's? Tried other suggestions in this thread?