PDA

View Full Version : How to stay in touch with SB dev/evolutions ?

manatlan
2011-08-25, 12:44
Hi

I'd like to know how to stay in touch about SB developments ? SB evolutions ? All things that happens in SB's worlds ?
I'd like to found a rss/atom feed to be alerted of each evolution in the sb's world ....

I don't have found any websites of the community (except the wiki and forums) !
Is there a website/blog about that ?

thanks in advance

mherger
2011-08-25, 23:29
> I don't have found any websites of the community (except the wiki and
> forums) !

Isn't this a good start already? What are you missing?

--

Michael

Soulkeeper
2011-08-25, 23:44
I don't have found any websites of the community (except the wiki and forums) !

I think this is as good as it gets. Welcome, btw. B)

manatlan
2011-08-26, 00:39
> I don't have found any websites of the community (except the wiki and
> forums) !

Isn't this a good start already? What are you missing?

In all big communities (minecraft, python, ...), there is always, at least, one website/blogs which keep people in touch, by posting news about the object ...
(example : "SBS 7.6.1 was released yesterday", "erland has released a wonderful applet", "the future SBS 8 : the features", "logitech is working on sb-radio2", ...)

I know that vbulletin can produce RSS feeds. But a forum or a wiki, by nature, is not done for that. Following twitter is, afaik, the best option. But a big community should have its own news information websites ... no ?
I haven't found it, perhaps it doesn't exist, perhaps it's time to start it ?!

Perhaps a "big big fan" posts news about sb's world on its personnal website ?

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 02:06
We have a bugtracker .

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

And you can view the svn check ins via ViewWC

http://svn.slimdevices.com/

slim for the server and jive for SqueezePlay devices .

In fact most of the code is there

toby10
2011-08-26, 02:39
SqueezeBox has always been lacking in this area. They have 90+% of their users emails via MySB.com registration yet never utilize this resource to notify existing customers of updates, changes, new features, etc...

Your best bet is this forum and more specifically the beta forum.

manatlan
2011-08-26, 02:56

Thanks toby10
It's sad, but better than nothing ;-(

There is clearly spaces for a "SB news website" !!!

Soulkeeper
2011-08-26, 03:33
It would be nice with a "community news site". Perhaps the easiest way would be to set up a wiki page (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php?title=Squeezebox_News)? That would probably maximize the number of contributors, without spreading the community effort over more different web sites than necessary. Linking to existing wiki articles will be a breeze.

If people think this is a good way of doing it, the news related pages will get their own category (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php?title=Category:News) too.

Mnyb
2011-08-26, 04:12
SqueezeBox has always been lacking in this area. They have 90+% of their users emails via MySB.com registration yet never utilize this resource to notify existing customers of updates, changes, new features, etc...

Ssh if they ever find out we get spams about mice and keyboards and craptastic pc speakers :)

pallfreeman
2011-08-26, 04:25
(example : "SBS 7.6.1 was released yesterday"

Has 7.6.1 been released, then? I must have missed the announcement here. :)

aubuti
2011-08-26, 05:50
...and the Developers forum, too.

toby10
2011-08-26, 05:56
Ssh if they ever find out we get spams about mice and keyboards and craptastic pc speakers :)

Yeah, that would be peoples fears, but so far this has not happened.
I never kept track but I'd guess I've received a total of 4 emails from Logitech regarding SBS/MySB over 4 years.

erland
2011-08-29, 11:41
In all big communities (minecraft, python, ...), there is always, at least, one website/blogs which keep people in touch, by posting news about the object ...
(example : "SBS 7.6.1 was released yesterday", "erland has released a wonderful applet", "the future SBS 8 : the features", "logitech is working on sb-radio2", ...)

I know that vbulletin can produce RSS feeds. But a forum or a wiki, by nature, is not done for that. Following twitter is, afaik, the best option. But a big community should have its own news information websites ... no ?
I haven't found it, perhaps it doesn't exist, perhaps it's time to start it ?!

Setting up a blog would be easy, the question is just if it will improve things or make the community more scattered. I do agree that sometimes it would be good to be able to filter out all "My system doesn't work" posts and just see the various announcement threads from Logitech, third party developers and from the hardware and DIY forum.

If there are more people feeling this is a good idea, we could probably create something together where multiple experienced community members helps to post news and articles. Anyone interested in contributing ?

I personally think that something that's very important to make this work is to do it as a community and not base it on that a single individual should do all the work. Still, I'm a little bit skeptical regarding activities which draws people away from this forum as the strength of this forum really is all the experienced people hanging around and helping other users.

Perhaps a "big big fan" posts news about sb's world on its personnal website ?

Actually there is, FredFredrickson did exactly this some time ago:
http://sb.cnhpa.com/

The problem is just that it won't work when one person do it because then the news are written with the perspective of a single person instead of the community as a whole.

Logitech can't do it because except from the few Logitech developers still here, Logitech have lost all interest in this community, the main reason this forum and wiki still exists is because of the Logitech developers hanging around.