PDA

View Full Version : determine 3rd party remote IR codes?

evencoil
2011-08-24, 20:02
This is probably an obvious question (which is why I couldn't find an answer for it!)

I have an Onkyo remote control for my receiver. I set it to send out jvd dvd codes, and it more or less controls my SB3. A lot of buttons on the SB3 remote do not seem to have counterparts on the Onkyo and vice versa, so I would like to go in and mess with the IR mappings to get them aligned. How do I determine what button on the Onkyo remote is connected to which Hex code so that I can do this?

peterw
2011-08-24, 20:20
I have an Onkyo remote control for my receiver. I set it to send out jvd dvd codes, and it more or less controls my SB3. A lot of buttons on the SB3 remote do not seem to have counterparts on the Onkyo and vice versa, so I would like to go in and mess with the IR mappings to get them aligned. How do I determine what button on the Onkyo remote is connected to which Hex code so that I can do this?

I don't remember which option it is, but one of the Logging options for Squeezebox Server (SBS) will tell you what codes the SB3 sees & reports to SBS. From there you can make custom .ir files (or edit the existing ones) to map those codes to regular button names in the .map files. Note there are some IR codes that SB3 does not recognize at all. For instance, my SB3 passes along info about my non-JVC DVD player's codes as unknown IR, but not the codes for my AV receiver.

Good luck.

toby10
2011-08-25, 03:18
Most AVR remotes that can be programmed by IR codes also include a simple "learn" function to program individual IR remote buttons. Set the two remotes facing each other, follow the instructions, AVR remote "learns" the few buttons you are missing. Seems a simpler way to program the few missing SB3 remote buttons.

evencoil
2011-08-25, 10:53
As far as I can tell, this remote (Onkyo RC-801M) doesn't have any learning features. It just allows you to input 5-digit device codes for a whole list of devices. One of the devices it gives a code for is a JVC DVD, so it seems like it should work pretty well with the SB3.

It wasn't obvious from a quick look at the logging files which ones record the IR codes, but thanks for pointing that out I will take a closer look at some point.